Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How big of improvement is the model on JTV vs the original Variax?

Right now I have a old Variax 500 which I really love.  It's one of the first ones and plays and sounds really good. I also have HD500x and DT25 combo. When I upgraded to the HD500x and DT25 that was a good bit better sound quality improvment to me.  I was using a X3 and Atomic previously.

Lately been thinking about if I should go ahead and get the JTV. I've heard a lot of clips etc.. using it and played one at GC a while back, althought I didn't plug it in. I get that the guitar itself is much better build and the mag pickups do add extra layer of capability. But I'm wondering if the modelling is better or is the same modelling in a better built instrument?

Compared to my Variax 500, I say the JTV  has around a 20% improvement in dynamic response when playing the DSP Guitar models  

Compared to my Variax 500,  I notice a bit more "lag" on JTV when moving the 5 -way on my JTV-69 -Model change is a bit slower.

and for me the HD version 1.7 era Acoustics work best  - with declining results with latest JTV firmware.

Today I have used them all - and not to start any arguments but in 2015  I rank DSP Guitar Modeling  Technology like this 

( best to worst) 

1) Antares ATG-1 ( or latest internal Luthier kit) ( will be released in a month) 

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/

Ipad Control app

ipad_bg1.png

2) Boss GP-10 ( when used with 2014 Godin LGX-SA ( with latest RMC Piezo PUs ) 

http://www.rolandus.com/blog/2014/03/14/gp-10-guitar-processor/

GP-10_Marquee_3.png?zoom=2&resize=660%2C

3) 2007 Roland VG-99 

4) 2011 Line6-JTV-59 Variax with HD-2.1 Firmware ( except use FW 1.7 for the best Acoustic models)

5) 2011 Roland GR-55 

6) 2004 Variax 700/500/600/300

Follow up question. With my band we tune down 1/2 step on everything. I assume the drop tuning would just adjust down the extra 1/2 as the adjust for where the guitar is actually setup for? So if I manally tune the entire guitar 1/2 flat and then swtich DADGAD it would actually go do DbAbDbGbAbDb?

So if I manually tune the entire guitar 1/2 flat and then swtich DADGAD it would actually go do DbAbDbGbAbDb?

Correct! All Variax DSP Alt tuning changes  are relative to the "real" pitch of your guitar strings 

Follow up question. With my band we tune down 1/2 step on everything. I assume the drop tuning would just adjust down the extra 1/2 as the adjust for where the guitar is actually setup for? So if I manally tune the entire guitar 1/2 flat and then swtich DADGAD it would actually go do DbAbDbGbAbDb?

I have read that for the modeling / pitch tracking to work optimally, it wants the guitar itself tuned to standard pitch.

Perhaps something to do with the tension of the string as it pertains to the piezo saddles?

I think you can just make custom alt tuning banks if you want open Db, or any other 1/2 step down alternate tuning.

• Upvote 1

I have read that for the modeling / pitch tracking to work optimally, it wants the guitar itself tuned to standard pitch.

Perhaps something to do with the tension of the string as it pertains to the piezo saddles?

I think you can just make custom alt tuning banks if you want open Db, or any other 1/2 step down alternate tuning.

So it seems that works the same as the old Variax. And yea the pitch stuff on it is the same, doesn't work quite as well but it does work and I rarely need it.

I think I might upgrade to an JTF 89F in the near future but I think I'll wait until after Winter NAMM to see if L6 comes out with anything new in this market then. Wish they made the 89F in another color besides Black or Red. I love Sunburst and could deal with the 69 but I want the locking tremolo.

• Upvote 1

My Variax  "trick for slide" ( and my main interest for DSP Alt Tuning - regardless if GR-55. VG-99 or Tyler Variax) is Tune the real guitar strings to an Open tuning - for George Harrison that would typically be Open G - And i would kick on a Compressor for Slide Solos. This allows me to play Open Tuned Slide guitar parts with much sustain - but when the Slide solo is over, I use the DSP Alt tuning to convert my Guitar's Natural String's Open G tuning back to a DSP generated "Standard EADGBe Tuning"  - which allows me to play Rhythm Guitar in standard tuning.  

It would be nice if they made guitars with only the piezo bridge and an output cable attached only to that. That would then go to a "black box" that had all the guitar modelling in it. Then when new Variax technology came along, I would just have to get a new box, not a whole new guitar. It could even be incorperated into any FX unit they come up with in the future.

• Upvote 2

You just described what I've been doing for 20 years with a Godin 13 pin guitar and Roland VG-8, VG-88,VG-99, Boss GP-10

Honestly I don't know how you could say those are better. It's obvious that Line 6 is better in the tone department with it's piezo bridge and sensor techniques. It's pretty much Guitar Profiling more than modeling. 

• Upvote 1