Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT editing

ColonelForbin

I've read up the various posts on this topic; just downloaded the free Windows based DT editor.

I think I'll give this a spin! I've mostly just stuck to using the HD500 linked to my DT25, but I am lately wanting to gain a better understanding of how the Bogner power amp configurations differ, and how mixing up the preamp models with other typologies might sound.

Sometimes it's good to roll back to a simpler approach - the HD500 is awesome, but it's easy to go along with the flow, and not spend the time to delve into the 'core' options this rig has to offer.

Reading about other users various attempts to 'volume level' the HD/DT amp models seems to focus on how to manage the typology volumes; it seems - correct me if I am wrong - that for the most part, the preamp models are not the reason for extreme volume jumps, but rather, their corresponding power amp settings.

I suppose someone could test this, but 'locking' the power amp settings, and then scrolling through various preamp models. To me, that's why the DT amp is first and foremost a tube amp, not a digital amp. The preamps are digital, but once those enter the Bogner analog realm, they do not sound 'digital' anymore. 

That's my take on it anyway. Alot of this thinking is due to me wanting to add a second DT amp. I've realized that while the preamp models are quite nice, the real magic is in the power amp configurations.

The DT editor software is certainly going to let you have the chance to 'mix'n'match'. I've just started to get a better grasp on the workings of this set up myself and am starting to get some very good results using the L6 link. I've used the DT editor so that I can see 'inside' and know what the amp & topology settings were after I did the firmware update. Now that you can configure channels A & B for each topology setting you can get 8 different 'voices' if you like. What Line 6 really needs to provide for those that don't have or want to use a POD is a switching pedal that allows you change not just the channel, but the voicing that you want for that channel. I think they could get a lot more interest in the DT if they did this. Just as there are the 'purists' who won't use anything but a real version of the tube amp, some won't use anything except the real pedal for their effects. For those that have accepted the amp modelling but still like their pedals, this might get them into Line 6's camp.

What Line 6 really needs to provide for those that don't have or want to use a POD is a switching pedal that allows you change not just the channel, but the voicing that you want for that channel.

The big problem with that is the knob positions are not saved with the topo settings.  While you can load 8 different amp/cab models only 2 are really usable at any one time.  Try going from a maxed out Blackface on topo 1 to a Treadplate on topo 3 without adjusting the knobs and it will rip your face off!  In order for this to work you would have to have the POD built into the DT to remember the full settings for each one but that ain't gonna happen.  That is what L6 link is for!!

• Upvote 1

Well, I guess I've learnt something new. I thought that using DT Edit meant that the tones you dialed in for each setting would be saved to the amp for both Channel A & B. I haven't really explored using the editor as I've been working on using the L6 link since I have the POD. That's definitely a very limiting factor if you can't save the settings in the DT. 

Well, I guess I've learnt something new. I thought that using DT Edit meant that the tones you dialed in for each setting would be saved to the amp for both Channel A & B. I haven't really explored using the editor as I've been working on using the L6 link since I have the POD. That's definitely a very limiting factor if you can't save the settings in the DT. 

Correct.  You cannot save the knob positions on the DT directly.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour,

I'm a new owner of a DT50 head, and I love the sound! In fact, this is my second DT50, the first died mysteriously after 15 days. The dealer replaced it two month ago, and so far so good....  

I use a Behringer BCF2000 to manage sounds without a podHD : one "sound" (i.e channel A and channel B) of the DT50 can be completly recalled ( preamp,drive, vol, eq, reverb,HP...everything) with aboute 50 bytes sended with differents midi CC on channel1.

The BCF2000 can edit all the DT50parameters with his motorised faders and rotary knobs, and there are 32 memory locations to store the settings, i.e. 32 "sounds" as described above. The difference with the 4 small memories in the DT50 is that your can store "everything" in the BCF2000,  and therefore dont get anymore problems of volume when you switch sounds. You call recall the presets with CC or with BCF2000 Buttons. Downfall :  you still have then to press two buttons of the BCF to send the snapshot to the DT50, hard to do with the feet!

I join a zip with a sysex of the template for the BCF a a small sheet with the rôle of the buttons.I hope this will help.

The DT editor software is certainly going to let you have the chance to 'mix'n'match'. I've just started to get a better grasp on the workings of this set up myself and am starting to get some very good results using the L6 link. I've used the DT editor so that I can see 'inside' and know what the amp & topology settings were after I did the firmware update. Now that you can configure channels A & B for each topology setting you can get 8 different 'voices' if you like. What Line 6 really needs to provide for those that don't have or want to use a POD is a switching pedal that allows you change not just the channel, but the voicing that you want for that channel. I think they could get a lot more interest in the DT if they did this. Just as there are the 'purists' who won't use anything but a real version of the tube amp, some won't use anything except the real pedal for their effects. For those that have accepted the amp modelling but still like their pedals, this might get them into Line 6's camp.

So I got the POD500X, L6 Link and two DT25's (and L3) and did not worry about setting the amp dials as per the settings guide that came with the amp.  I have used HD Edit to choose different amp models and have assumed L6 Link would configure settings on the amps(s) as per the chosen amp model.   Is this not correct?  

Unfortunately I have been trying to learn the POD and DT's almost exclusively using HD Edit and think I am missing many features available on the POD itself. SAG, outputs. etc.   Would be nice to have even more control with HD Edit.  Perhaps I have yet to figure it out.

Okay.  Just discovered controllers in HD Edit for amp and cab settings (not that they were hidden!!).  See SAG, RES and all the others that I haven't paid attention to.  Thanks to another thread.

Question now is why, if you have two amp/cabs, AMP 2 does not offer editing of amp settings? Amp 1 has amp and cab settings but Amp 2 only has cab settings. Is it me or is this how it should be can anyone help/confirm?

Question now is why, if you have two amp/cabs, AMP 2 does not offer editing of amp settings? Amp 1 has amp and cab settings but Amp 2 only has cab settings. Is it me or is this how it should be can anyone help/confirm?

Please check to see if you have a Pre model rather than a full model loaded in amp 2 slot.  That won't have the Amp DEP as that is for the power section stuff...

That was it.  Thanks radatats.

Now going to experiment with settings on the amp to achieve suggested voicings.   Or is my assumption that this is controlled by selected amp models correct?

Thanks again for the help.  Learning something new quite frequently.  

Now going to experiment with settings on the amp to achieve suggested voicings.   Or is my assumption that this is controlled by selected amp models correct?

The POD does control the settings on the DT when a patch is loaded but once its up, changing the switches on the DT changes the associated parameter so you can play with topologies and class settings on the amp.  Those changes are reflected in the POD and if you save the patch will be pulled up next time its loaded.

I program the DT25 head using the DT Edit software (PC), when connected, and doing changes using the computer everything's fine but, when I re-start the unit all sounds are missed, it looses all the topologies and come back with just clean sounds in both channels.

​Any help ?

The obvious question/answer - I assume you are sending changes in your settings to the DT?  Or receiving from the DT if changing settings on the amp? If you make changes in HD Edit and then don't send to the DT they won't be saved as a preset.

If it is something not as obvious, not sure I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Where does a person download the DT Edit software?  Can someone please share a link?  I've searched on Line 6's main website and on this forum, but haven't found it yet. It's likely super-easy to find and I'm just not seeing it.

Also, which midi interface would you recommend to update and edit the DT25 combo?  (will connect to my Windows 7 desktop)

Thanks!

Any recommendations for MIDI interface hardware?  Would this work?  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Uno

That's what I use and it works great. I think it can be used with something like the HD500 to control midi in your DAW. For instance use it to control parameters in Pod Farm while recording into the DAW.