Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

distorted sounds on alternate tunings and 12 string models

Just got a new? JTV 69S from Sweetwater. First thing out of the box a cheaper one pocket black gig bag not  grey like my 59 with 2 pockets for gear. Plug in after charging battery and have to crank my DT50 on 5 just to get the tunings or 12 string models to engage without hearing the guitar strings non-amplified sound. This never happened on my 500 or 2012 '59. I could turn the amp to just above minimum volume to not hear the strings clash with the 12 string models or the alt tunings. Is there a fix in workbench for this or do I have a defective 69S? Guitar plays well all other models work OK. But it's not right that I need to crank it to to hear it and then hear it distorted. Sweetwater offered to exchange but I already sent in the UPC and rebate form for this serial number and the it was past the DEC31 deadline for ordering and I don't want to lose my rebate.

Essentially you are saying you want Sweetwater to swap your current JTV-69 that has a great natural acoustic resonance and tone for a different JTV-69 that sounds more acoustically "dead and lifeless" with less volume when unplugged.

I'd try a different set of strings first, like those Chinese 10 sets for $20 sold at www.Meritline.com

IMO Alternate tunings are a serious compromise.  They work if you ignore the fact that you can hear the real tuning if you are not playing loudly amplified.  It's like another guitar playing quietly out of tune.  That is the physics of it and it's not a broken Variax.  If your band always plays tuned down, tune down.  If you are only playing a few songs in alternate tuning, then use the compromise.