Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2T Vs. DT25 for HD500X Mods

Gentlemen,

Like so many I am trying to reproduce the HD500X tones that I hear in the headphones to loader volumes. 

I have found great success when outputting to my M Audio BX5 monitors. Even when pushed loud they seem to keep the sweet tones that I get with the headphones. I just love my HD500X when I play through them. It is addictive. This lead me to believe that if I got the DT25 Amp line 6 connect that I would be able to play live fairly easily with amplified tones from the HD500X.

It seems with my time trying and according to this forum it is anything but that case, which I now know first hand after purchasing a Like New DT25. I have some tube hum and assorted other background noise on some mods, but I think that when I put in (and bias) my new matched JJ's all around that will be improved, but I really don't expect too much with this amp reproducing the sounds without many many hours of tweaking, and then maybe never. Seems that I was getting some better sounds with a Fender Blackface and the HD500X than I am getting with the DT25. Bummer. I am sure that some good tones will be found, but the monitor speakers keep showing me that it can be real close without hundreds of hours of tweaking.

My Question is this. Would the L2T Speakers be big Monitors giving me the sound that I getting with my headphones and my current Bx5' s Monitor Speakers?? Or is the DT25 the best bet to get those sounds? 

Cause I like that sound from my monitors and headphones, I just want it louder for small gigs and practice with the band.

Help me brothers. Thanks for reading.

Tommygun

Gentlemen,

My Question is this. Would the L2T Speakers be big Monitors giving me the sound that I getting with my headphones and my current Bx5' s Monitor Speakers?? Or is the DT25 the best bet to get those sounds? 

While many seem to absolutely love their DT's I am on the fence.  I certainly can get sweet tones from it but overall functionality is better with no noticeable sacrifice in tone with just the POD to the PA.  I find myself using the DT less and less these days and while I will probably keep it I am focusing on FRFR stereo tones and patches.  There are tons of good options out there for powered PA speakers besides the L series but if you have the cash for a pair you probably won't regret it tho...

You really can't expect your tones to be identical from one output mode to another. While tones designed for headphones and studio monitors might need less adjusting for use with an FRFR speaker like the L2T (as compared to running the same patches thru a DT series or something similar), you will still need to spend considerable time playing around with it until it behaves the way u want it to. None of these options are plug and play, instant gratification kinda things.

You really can't expect your tones to be identical from one output mode to another. While tones designed for headphones and studio monitors might need less adjusting for use with an FRFR speaker like the L2T (as compared to running the same patches thru a DT series or something similar), you will still need to spend considerable time playing around with it until it behaves the way u want it to. None of these options are plug and play, instant gratification kinda things.

I just thought that the Line 6 Link was more plug and play than it is. Seems like you have to tweak just as much as you would to any other amp. Maybe less with other amps concidering the sync problems and auto adjutments the Link seems to make.

I really want to love this amp with the HD500x. Stand alone it is great. But not really why I bought it. I passed over getting a Fender Deluxe so that I would have less tweaking and closer tones to what the HD500 delivers.

I will be getting the DT back on Wed with the New JJ tubes all around and also I now have a Digital XLR EAS/...  so I have my fingers crossed that it will be improved sound if nothing else.

I am not one to give up easily so I will use this forum to explore all options that I can get out of it.

Has anyone started a thread for patches with HD500X and DT25 together? If there is so much tweaking to get the sounds specific to the two might be good for others to divide and conquer.

Has anyone started a thread for patches with HD500X and DT25 together? If there is so much tweaking to get the sounds specific to the two might be good for others to divide and conquer.

Unfortunately, I think you'd find those results disappointing too. There are simply too many variables involved for that to work. The guitar, string gauge, playing style, etc etc...download a few patches from Customtone and you'll see what I mean. Just because the guy who dialed it in got it to sound just like Satriani on his rig, doesn't mean that it won't sound like the Ramones when I try the same patch with my stuff...especially when you're talking about tube amps. One day it will sound the like the most majestic thing you've ever heard, and you plug it in the next day in some bar with questionable power outlets, and it sounds like baked a$$.

I was looking for shortcuts at the outset too, and quickly gave up on that path. It just doesn't work. Build from the ground up, and it will get quicker as you go...in the long run you'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

• Upvote 1