Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Direct recording with HD500X and YAMAHA AW1600 ?????????????

belchior666

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the forum, also new to recording with POD HD500X. Please, help me try to get the best sound with this set up:

*Charvel EMG 81 85 

*POD HD 500X

*Work Station YAMAHA AW1600

I am recording this way as of right now: guitar plug with 1/4" cable to the POD, from the POD to the YAMAHA AW1600 also 1/4" cable.

I have a couple of questions. Do I need to use the HI-Z input on the AW1600 or not? What are the best settings on my POD for this type of recording ? Also, the best settings on my POD using the EMG 81 85 active pickups?

And at last but not least , how should I positioning the "guitar in" , pad or normal ??? 1/4" out , line or amp ??? Do I need to make any changes on XLR (lift or ground) even if I'm recording with 1/4" out ??? 

I hope I explained everything well and will be waiting for your response ASAP. It is much appreciated!!!!!

post-2129420-0-83965500-1420916349_thumb.jpg

post-2129420-0-36983200-1420916383_thumb.jpg

post-2129420-0-61918500-1420916423_thumb.jpg

If it were me, I'd probably use the HD500X's S/PDIF out into the Yamaha's digital in. That might be the cleanest way. If you want to connect the 500X with a 1/4" cable, that would be fine as well.

As far as the input pad vs normal, it really comes down to what sounds best to you. The EMGs do tend to have a higher output, so you could more easily run inti clipping along the HD500X's internal signal path. You don't need to worry about the ground lift on the XLR if you're not using those outputs. As far as the line/amp setting, it depends on whether you're going into a preamp on the board or not. The basic idea is that you want as high a signal from the 500X as you can get an maintain a good recording level. The less gain you add in the preamp section, the lower the noise floor.