Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alternatives to Stagesource speakers

stumblinman

Hey guys. Pondering going from my DT for gigs to using FRFR speakers to take full advantage of the acoustic models in the JTV without having to use my Pod fx loop to send to PA. Of course the Stagesource would be optimal, but I have a hard time justifying the price, and after reading the posts about rattling cabs and things like that, I'm a little wary. I like a speaker pushing air behind me, so going direct just won't work. Ideas? What are you guys using?

Did some messing around with a powered PA speaker tonight for fun.  It's tough to dial in a good direct sound.  I may start grabbing other guys patches from Custom Tone because I don't want to learn this thing all over again lol.  So easy with the DT.

I like a speaker pushing air behind me, so going direct just won't work. Ideas? What are you guys using?

I have a Roland GA-212. It is a 2X12" 200W SS guitar amp with a pair of line inputs, so you can use it as a stereo powered cab.

Sounds great, with the only drawback of the big size and heavy weight (though thankfully has removable casters and side handles)

It is being gradually discontinued (the listed price was more than 1000$, a huge amount for what people are normally willing to pay for a SS amp, despite being Roland), and sometimes you can find it very cheap in stores like sweetwater (I paid €299 for it in Thomann, brand new)

I think Line 6 must seriously consider this option: a new light-weight Flat-Response stereo powered cabs ( 2X12, 2x10, 2x8) series for modeling gear for less than 400-500$ would be awesome. Maybe there is enough professional market out there for the expensive DT hybrid amps or the very expensive Stage Source Speakers, but in my point of view they could earn a lot more by selling this option for the masses.

I mean: a professional grade sound system for modellers, being not so big/heavy/expensive as the current DT or StageSource series, nor as domestic like the amplifi series. Just a good pair of FR speakers with master volume in a lightweight housing built like a tank. 

Is too much to ask? Do not even need to be "Full Range", just "Flat Response" so there is no need to include tweeters, except for the model for bass.

And perhaps they even would get changing trends in the world of guitar and multi-effect units. I would probably buy at least one for the studio, one for the living room, and one for the bass.

But since Line 6 has not given me that opportunity, I've bought to Roland the closest things they had: a pair of stereo amps (Roland GA-212 and Roland mobile cube) and the Roland CB-120XL Bass amp.

IMG_1137_zpscfc5b7ff.jpg

I played my HD through a buddy's Bose L1 (basic model) and it sounded terrific.  Might not give you the projection you'd want in some venues or if you're in a big band with a drummer, but I'm still waiting to stumble on one of those, used.  And an acoustic guitar plugged in to one of those is great.  You don't need to set it up with the speakers on a pole, either!

As far as the dreaded rattle, I am pretty sure it isn't super common. Keep in mind that you will only see users with usisues here and not the thousands of users who never have problems.

I now have three L2m speakers and none of them have the rattle problem.

-Max

As far as the dreaded rattle, I am pretty sure it isn't super common. Keep in mind that you will only see users with usisues here and not the thousands of users who never have problems.

I now have three L2m speakers and none of them have the rattle problem.

-Max

Thats what I thought too...I waited for better part of a year for the cause to be identified and a fix implemented. Unfortunately, defective units are still out there. Only had mine for about 3 weeks and the rattle is obvious...I've used quieter hedge trimmers.

I have opted to have this one repaired rather than have to wonder whether or not I would receive another dud.

Not going thru this more than once....

I'm tempted on the l2m since it's actually almost reasonably priced, but some of the Roland KC Amos look pretty good too. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate seeing what other folks are working with.

Hey Stumblinman,,, i know i have mentioned it on another thread... but.. if you can find a Atomic Reactor FRFR second hand somewhere i'd jump on it... i have seen them for about 400 bucks and for that kinda money its a no brainer , they are amaaaazing.... i regret selling mine (although it was to a mate and made him promise he would never sell it!!!)  :)

My L3t arrives tomorrow. I hope its lives up to the hype.....! I am sure it will

Hey Stumblinman,,, i know i have mentioned it on another thread... but.. if you can find a Atomic Reactor FRFR second hand somewhere i'd jump on it... i have seen them for about 400 bucks and for that kinda money its a no brainer , they are amaaaazing.... i regret selling mine (although it was to a mate and made him promise he would never sell it!!!)  :)

My L3t arrives tomorrow. I hope its lives up to the hype.....! I am sure it will

You'll love it. I ummed and erred whether to switch from a full tube Marshall for ages, eventually made the switch and am genuinely blown away by not only the sound but the versatility.

You guys aren't making this any easier! Maybe I will just go with Stagesource and leave my DT at the practice pad with some pedals.

I can see it now:

"Sweet sweet wife, you are so beautiful..."

"What do you want to buy now?"

"Nothing big, just another PA speaker"

"How much is it?"

"Depending on which one, it's between $650 and $800"

*BANG*

Thud....

Been fiddling with using one of my powered PA speakers a little more. It seems to be getting better. I have a decent fender clean tone now with no effects but compression and reverb. Using a soul food for OD. Going to build a Marshall patch next and see how it goes. Then I will work on my acoustic tone and maybe then I will take this rig to practice instead of my DT and give it a go.

That's pretty cool, playing in a band with your wife. My wife plays violin, but I can't convince Her to join us.

• 1 year later...

I use two EV elx112p's with my HD500X and couldn't be happier. 1000w class D two channel amp with a master volume built in to each one, with combination XLR or 1/4" inputs make it possible to go to FOH with either from my POD.. Plenty of power & flexibility, and acoustic and/or stereo patches sound golden compared to my single DT25. I contemplated going with two DT25's, but the price point was just too high for my wallet at the time.

I can put them on a pole or use them as wedges, and last but not least i can use them as personal vocal monitors on stage simultaneously.

I use a Yamaha DXR12 as my main stage powered monitor.  Of course right after I bought it Line 6 lowered the prices on their powered speakers to roughly what I paid for the DXR12.  But I can't say I've been disappointed.

This has been discussed several times around here, but one of the challenges with typical off-the-shelf powered monitors is the flat response across a wide frequency range.  That's very nice, but it tends to get a little much when trying to get a guitar tone you're normally used to on a traditional guitar amp since guitar amps by design work in a much more confined frequency range.

I don't know if Line 6 accounts for this when using their powered monitors, but with my DXR I had to use the Global EQ to limit the response of the speaker below 125 hz and above about 8.5 khz to make it respond a bit more like a traditional guitar cabinet.  Thats still quite a bit more than a traditional cabinet, but I wanted to retain a some of the frequency response to help out with clarity and articulation.  There are other ways to do it within individual patches of course, but for me this removed the unecessary bass and high treble responses that plagued me when putting together a patch.

However unlike you I do send a line direct to the PA, but at least my configuration will ensure that what comes out of the FOH speakers matches up with what I'm hearing on stage.  In my case we're a 7 piece band playing a variety of styles, so I'm not as concerned with pushing air as I am blending with the rest of the instruments.  YMMV

Paul Pesco of Hall and Oates tours with two QSC K10s in front of him and plays through an older POD XT live I believe.I started putting one or two Altos in front of me about a year ago and really like it.I can crank my volume up as loud as loud as I like without messing up the FOH mix.Used this setup with my HD500 in a 250 seat club last night with a 5 piece band on a very shallow stage and was able to have very real reactance between my guitars and my modeler and my Alto monitor much like a guitar amp without having to play so damn loud.

• Upvote 1