Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Working solution for getting Gearbox running on OSX Yosemite

csy5fr

Hi,

it was discussed several times in this forum, so I might have a solution for all, who have problems running Gearbox properly on OSX Yosemite (10.10.1).

1. Remove all (!) Line6 files and drivers from your Mac according to the Line 6 advice pdf from Line6Tony (http://line6.com/support/topic/9951-pod-x3-live-osx-yosemite/?p=71889) and AFTER THIS remove Line 6 device (i.e. X3 Live), restart your computer.

2. Download Gearbox lastest version

3. Doubleklick dmg-file

4. Open the package (right mouse klick on the package GearBox.mpkg) the left klick on Package... in context menu)

5. Open folder "Contents" and then folder "Packages"

6. Then install the packages manually IN FOLLOWING ORDER (IMPORTANT!)

- GearBox AU Plugin.pkg

- Gearbox RTAS Plugin.pkg

DO NOT INSTALL GearBox.pkg YET!

- Line6 Audio Driver.pkg

- Line 6 Audio-Midi Pref.pkg  IS NOT INSTALLABLE - BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER!

- Line 6 Driver Uninstaller.pkg

DO NOT INSTALL Line 6 Monkey.pkg YET!

- Line6 TWX Framework.pkg  IS NOT INSTALLABLE - BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER!

- Line 6 TWGX Framework.pkg

7. After doing that, install Line6 GearBox.pkg

8. Restart now (not earlier!)

9. Connect Device

10. Start GearBox.  It will open without any errors!

You're ready to go.

After that, you can install Line6Monkey if you want, but:

1. Do not use the package delivered with Gearbox, download latest Version from Line6 Support

2. After Installation DO NOT UPDATE ANY DRIVER! It will work properly withoui any updates

I tried it on two computers (Imac 27" end 2013, and MacBookPro Mid 2011, both with Yosemite).

Good Luck!

Christian

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still no solution?

With this guide my gear box running, but my PDO X3 Pro is not recognised :-(

This is the second time I have issue with Line6 product, first time was with the upgrade from Win XP To Seven!

Please Line6 do something to fix this issue!

you'll have to look up some of the workarounds on the website....

gearbox will not be updated.

Still no solution?

With this guide my gear box running, but my PDO X3 Pro is not recognised :-(

This is the second time I have issue with Line6 product, first time was with the upgrade from Win XP To Seven!

Please Line6 do something to fix this issue!

No... the pod is hardware and will continue to work as it always has...

the gearbox editor has not been supported since 10.6 snow leopard and it just happened to work on every update until now...

apple changed something that made the software no longer work as packaged.

there are others that have managed to get it working, if you search the forums i'm sure you'll get some ideas.

• Downvote 1

No... the pod is hardware and will continue to work as it always has...

the gearbox editor has not been supported since 10.6 snow leopard and it just happened to work on every update until now...

apple changed something that made the software no longer work as packaged.

there are others that have managed to get it working, if you search the forums i'm sure you'll get some ideas.

Ok, there is another software that can I use with it to manage the tones on my mac?

Anyway, I'm trying to follow some guide to fix the driver issue...

No, gearbox is the only editor for the x3 pods.

you'll have to try and use the workarounds or downgrade your operating system if it's important enough for you.

or you can of course continue to edit on the device.

Ok, thanks for your fast reply, but I'm very disappointed with the Line 6 policy to not support their "old" products anymore

• 2 months later...

Hi Line 6 Expert, downgrading the operating system is no option. It is a shame how Line 6 ignores such a big gap. Today I tried to get a solution in various forums and blogs. Nothing. Hopefully I will find somebody who wants to buy my POD X3 Live.

you'll have to look up some of the workarounds on the website....

gearbox will not be updated.

right, Line6 don't care about the X3/Mac os x users any more, so what are supposed to do with our kit now they are useless? Just toss them aside and buy the new (completely unreliable) 500 HDX units?

No. Your supposed to edit from the unit itself or use a previously supported operating system.

Not what you want to hear.

Other users have managed to get it working with different workarounds.

Line6 support applies only to the operating systems that were supported at last release.

Myself and many others have had no issues with the hd pods. Your friends experience is not typical however unfortunate. None of which helps your current predicament.

• 1 month later...

No. Your supposed to edit from the unit itself or use a previously supported operating system.

Not what you want to hear.

Other users have managed to get it working with different workarounds.

Line6 support applies only to the operating systems that were supported at last release.

Myself and many others have had no issues with the hd pods. Your friends experience is not typical however unfortunate. None of which helps your current predicament.

I do really feel for those who've invested several hundreds in line6 hardware, such as myself. But it is indeed Line6's right to choose not to support/update what we've come to see as critical software for their hardware. It is wholly understandable that a company will eventually draw a line in the sand at some point in regard to a product line. There are usually many reasons for these kinds of decisions.

I only want to make a noise about the rather incredulous responses/reasons of late behind the lack of support and what investors in their hardware should do moving forward and how that seals the deal it terms of how they are likely being perceived by owners and also how it breaks it in terms of trust/future purchases.

Sometime ago, I started realising that Line6 and its product support ideals are nothing more than amateurish at best. Lots of whoop, not a lot of substance. That's my opinion. With a great example offered in this thread by Line6 themselves. You can sum up their argument in this thread and others related to this subject as, all is well! One can still use the editor on the machine! And they are right, you can. The machine is not dead, it still works perfectly and, when used properly can deliver some great tones. Unfortunately, this entirely misses the point of why many of us bought the unit in the first place. The flexibility offered by the fantastic editor 'gearbox' was key in providing a fast way to access, edit and recall our tones. My units were not at arms reach in my studio, speed in terms of dialling up tones, fx on tones was critical. A perfectly good piece of hardware was scuppered by a lack of foresight and consideration. I have had more than one unit, all superseded now by alternatives with a long and credible history of supporting legacy gear, or at least providing workable solutions rather than telling their customers to hunt online for their own answers!! That one kind of reminds me of the dodgy used car dealer approach. I have other hardware by well known pro brands that utilise a software interface. Units as old or older than the POD X3 Pro, that are still getting patches, firmware updates from their creators now, all work with Yosemite.

The point being, The X3 is a great piece of gear. Line6 should already be aware of this and understand that it should continue to work as originally intended until the hardware itself breaks. After all, I did buy hardware and the software combined. Then, with it users trusting the brand in terms of quality and support, we'd all go out and buy the new version without blinking an eye.

What Line6, with open eyes, appears to be saying to you/us, is that they simply don't care. They've moved on and are only interested in the new. A portion of legacy investors in their hardware who helped, in their way to make their company what it is, are simply of no interest to them. In my view, a consciously incompetent act from Line6.

So my take is to don't sweat it anymore. Let it go. Accept that that's it for your hardware as Line6 have spoken and move on. My nephew loves my old X3 Pro, even with its limitations. Get a cheap PC laptop and keep it around for editing. Who knows, Apple may make another update in the future and hey presto, it'll work again. The only thing you can be sure of is that you'll get no meaningful help from Line6, other than the lame excuses and suggestions offered thus far. When you're X3 or similar packs up, move onto another brand with a pedigree of legacy support and begin to breathe the free air again my friends.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

it was discussed several times in this forum, so I might have a solution for all, who have problems running Gearbox properly on OSX Yosemite (10.10.1).

1. Remove all (!) Line6 files and drivers from your Mac according to the Line 6 advice pdf from Line6Tony (http://line6.com/support/topic/9951-pod-x3-live-osx-yosemite/?p=71889) and AFTER THIS remove Line 6 device (i.e. X3 Live), restart your computer.

3. Doubleklick dmg-file

4. Open the package (right mouse klick on the package GearBox.mpkg) the left klick on Package... in context menu)

- GearBox AU Plugin.pkg

- Line6 Audio Driver.pkg

9. Connect Device

You're ready to go.

1. Do not use the package delivered with Gearbox, download latest Version from Line6 Support

2. After Installation DO NOT UPDATE ANY DRIVER! It will work properly withoui any updates

I tried it on two computers (Imac 27" end 2013, and MacBookPro Mid 2011, both with Yosemite).

Good Luck!

Christian

Thanks Christian.

I followed the first part of this solution (removing Gearbox) and then simply downloaded the latest version of Gearbox, connected my device, updated drivers & firmware, and Hey Presto; Garageband sees my X3 Live no problems!

Thanks for your help and comprehensive guide to get this sorted out.

My setup is a circa 2011 MacBook Pro 15", with 8Gb memory.

Regards,

Nathan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have finally got this to work.

1. Download Gearbox lastest version

2. Doubleklick dmg-file

3. Open the package (right mouse klick on the package GearBox.mpkg) the left klick on Package... in context menu)

4. Open folder "Contents" and then folder "Packages"

5. Then install the packages manually IN FOLLOWING ORDER (IMPORTANT!)

- GearBox AU Plugin.pkg

- Line6 Audio Driver.pkg

6. After doing that, install Line6 GearBox.pkg

7. Connect Device

8. Start GearBox.  It will open without any errors!

You're ready to go.

Trying to get this to work for 2 months now. Happy to get it going.

Good Luck!

Claude

This worked for me, I have El Cap installed, and already had the latest drivers and monkey. I simply ran the packages in the order above, and skipped packages that could not be installed because a newer version was already on the computer. Afterwards I plugged in my device and started gearbox as normal. Yay!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This worked for me, I have El Cap installed, and already had the latest drivers and monkey. I simply ran the packages in the order above, and skipped packages that could not be installed because a newer version was already on the computer. Afterwards I plugged in my device and started gearbox as normal. Yay!

Hi what hardware are you connecting gearbox too? I can't get this to work so would be great to know exactly what the version numbers are of the drivers you've installed.

Cheers :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

3. Doubleklick dmg-file

- GearBox AU Plugin.pkg

- Line6 Audio Driver.pkg

9. Connect Device

You're ready to go.

Good Luck!

Christian

This really worked for Gearbox.. Thanks.. But Line6 Audio Driver.pkg was not installable too..Just the Gearbox. Mac osx El Capitan v. 10.11.5  

Secondly i can only get mono sound while using toneport ux2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if I bought a tone port ux1 from a dude off crags list, can I record into my Ableton in midi with it? Ive updated it, got license, got the monkey, got the drivers and authorized everything with my MacBook Pro retina on OS Sierra.... I can see and click on the drivers to use the tone port in my Ableton but there is no sound to master from Midi track #1..... Am I missing something here??? Problem... I asked the guy do I need a serial number? a login or anything??? He said naw...... Fml... Someone please help... thx!

Josh 

you cant record midi with it...

but you should be able to record audio and playback midi....

trick is you have to use the outputs on the UX1 also... so plug speakers or headphones into it.

at least i suspect that may be your issue.... if trying to play through another soundcard or built in speakers... that doesnt work.

if I bought a tone port ux1 from a dude off crags list, can I record into my Ableton in midi with it? Ive updated it, got license, got the monkey, got the drivers and authorized everything with my MacBook Pro retina on OS Sierra.... I can see and click on the drivers to use the tone port in my Ableton but there is no sound to master from Midi track #1..... Am I missing something here??? Problem... I asked the guy do I need a serial number? a login or anything??? He said naw...... Fml... Someone please help... thx!

Josh 

POD X3 Live.  Got Gearbox installed on El Capitan, but I (unfortunately) updated the firmware on the X3 Live first.  Now Gearbox won't recognize it.  If I go through the right permutations and dances and stand just so while holding my finger up like an antenna, I can sometimes get it to see the X3 and download tones from it, but it will mess up at least one (usually the active one,) won't download a second time, and cannot upload.  So not a lot of good to me.

I tried getting the latest, greatest Parallels (with a Windows 8.1 VM) and installing there (to test the "Works on Windows! It's Apple's fault!" theory).  No love there - Windows will not even see that the device is connected.  That's not exactly true - Windows sees the X3, and even tries to install a driver, but Monkey and Gearbox draw a blank.  Tried an old version of each and the latest version of Monkey, and none of them work.  It appears to be a driver error.  It is trying to use L6PODX3LV.sys v.4.0.2.3, which seems pretty stale - perhaps the updated firmware doesn't play well with that driver?  So I updated to a later one - v.4.2.7.6 - and it says the device cannot start.

Next, I'll try connecting it to the old PC that I used to use it on, and see if that has better mileage.  But in the meantime - if Line 6 is not going to support the device in this configuration, and no longer has a business reason to protect the software, will it at least release the specs or (better!) open source the software?  This functionality is a huge part of what makes the X3 Live useful to me.  It is also the only reason to participate in the CustomTone fora.  It seems like opening doors to increasing user engagement should be an attractive thing.

• 1 year later...

GEARBOX WORKING IN HIGH SIERRA 10.13.3

Ok... I have it working in High Sierra 10.13.3

Follow the the other SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS install instructions I posted way back when... Some things won't install... Like the Audio Driver, which is different from the midi driver. Without it Gearbox throws an 'incompatible driver error' and won't let you edit tones.

I attached the file you need... You need to extract this and place it in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS.

Once you have that, missing driver error goes away and you can edit tones...

WooHoo...

BTW... In my original Post way back when, when I talked about  right clicking and selecting SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS for the installer and installing each package individually... You can do the same for each of the individual packages... Then you can look at the individual files.... Each package has a resources folder,... Inside the resources folder there's a folder call English.lproj. Inside that there's a .info file... If you open that with text/edit it tells you what is supposed to be installed  and where its supposed to go

Line6Audio.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 9:59 AM, uslimey said:

GEARBOX WORKING IN HIGH SIERRA 10.13.3

Ok... I have it working in High Sierra 10.13.3

Follow the the other SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS install instructions I posted way back when... Some things won't install... Like the Audio Driver, which is different from the midi driver. Without it Gearbox throws an 'incompatible driver error' and won't let you edit tones.

I attached the file you need... You need to extract this and place it in SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS.

Once you have that, missing driver error goes away and you can edit tones...

WooHoo...

BTW... In my original Post way back when, when I talked about  right clicking and selecting SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS for the installer and installing each package individually... You can do the same for each of the individual packages... Then you can look at the individual files.... Each package has a resources folder,... Inside the resources folder there's a folder call English.lproj. Inside that there's a .info file... If you open that with text/edit it tells you what is supposed to be installed  and where its supposed to go

Line6Audio.kext.zip

Bro,...I appreciate you trying so hard. 

I tried your method and installing the extension plugin.

At first i was discourage because it didn't seem to be working.

When I tried to insert it, I get this error message:

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 10.45.20 PM.png

THEN... I decided to restart my computer.

After restarting, I launched gearbox and now it's working!!!!

I am using a Macbook Air with mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

All my drivers have been update including the flash update on X3.

So far this is working guys!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is how I got GearBox working on High Sierra with my POD X3 PRO. I tried this so many times I'm not sure about the exact procedure that finally worked, but was something like this. Make sure that your Line6 hardware is not connected while installing the packages.

Files used (downloaded from Line6):
1. GearBox 3.72.dmg
2. Line 6 Audio-Midi Driver 7.2.9.dmg (I read somewhere that this is the last driver to work with GearBox. I have not tried others except for the latest which did not work.)
3. You will also need to download and install Pacifist app from the web.

Please note that to get this working you need to turn off System Integrity Protection. You will be doing this at your own risk! System Integrity Protection is a security technology in OS X El Capitan and later that's designed to help prevent potentially malicious software from modifying protected files and folders on your Mac. You can read more about SIP from here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

To turn SIP off: 
- Boot you Mac to the Recovery System, holding the command R down during boot.
- Click the Utilites menu and select Terminal.
- Type "csrutil disable" and press return.
- Close the Terminal app.
- Click the menu and select Restart

(If you later want to re-engage SIP, repeat the steps and use the "csrutil" argument to "enable".)

Once the computer has rebooted: 

1. Double-click the GearBox 3.72.dmg-file to mount it. You can close the installer window that opens. 

2. Go to finder and navigate into Gearbox -> right-click GearBox.mpkg -> Package

3. Open folder "Contents" and then folder "Packages"

4. Then install the following packages manually

- GearBox AU Plugin.pkg
- GearBox.pkg

5. Open Line 6 Audio-Midi Driver 7.2.9.dmg with Pacifist.

6. Open Line 6 Audio-Midi Driver.pkg and install all of the packages. I installed the Audio driver last since it needs reboot after installation.

7. Reboot your computer. If all went fine you should be able to connect POD X3 to your computer and launch the GearBox and start controlling your device.

If this don't work for you, I can't help you. I'm not that computer savvy. I only got this working by combining instructions from various websites.