Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AX2 strange sound

es336td

I have two AX2's that I use for quick pickup gigs and rehearsal.  The one at the rehearsal hall lost its mind; the model would sound but it cut in and out sort of like Morse code.  I did a hard reset and nothing.  Then, it just went away.  I brought it home to do maintenance on the floorboard (tighten and clean every thing) and reload my patches from my laptop.   I am using the older AX2 editor by Steve I forget his last name.  The editor says it sent the patches, but they don't show up.  I've done another soft and hard reset. Still the Morse code pulsing of the guitar signal.  Anyone had this happen?  What did you do to fix it?  These amps are perfect for rehearsal because they have the self contained effects and all the amp models I use...  I can go snag my other that worked previously at another rehearsal hall, but would still like to get this one fixed instead of hauling the beast an hour and 1/2 to my tech.   Thanx

Well, unless someone knows something tricky...  I need to go to my service center.    I was playing with it tonight and the sound was not so pronouced.  I could still hear it, but it was something I could live with.  I was attempting to reload an old ALL patchset, without luck, and there was a click, and the volume reduced quite a bit.  Then the LEDS for the patch number began to count down, then count up, then just move on their own; the floorboard could not interupt or change patches.  I just packed it up.  I have another, but I've had this one since 98 and just changed the battery a year or two ago.   If anyone knows any tricks... I may not be taking it any time soon.  Thanx.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one that does that (sometimes) too.

There is almost certainly something wrong with it. You can enter diagnostics mode (press Save + Compare and power on) to see what tests PASs or if there are Errors. Not sure what to do next - because the actual meaning of those tests are not publicly available...

[2c]

Marc

• 1 month later...

Just waiting until I have time to take it to repair.  This one has been in repair a few years ago.  The battery was replaced after 15 years and the tech told me some of the erratic issues I was experiencing at the time (not this one) was due to heat.  He removed it from the cabinet and ran it for a few days, periodically playing, and it worked flawlessly.   I think it may be time to install a fan...   just have to have the time and money.   I will try that diagnostics trick.  Thanx.

• 1 year later...

es336td,

I'm not sure I'm sure I'm having the same issue as you, but here's something to try...

My issue is that whenever I turned on my AX2, it'll work perfectly for about 10-15 minutes and then it'll start making a sort of "fluttering/gurgling" sound (maybe Morse code-like?). Anyway, I was pulling my hair out (and I don't have much to pull, anymore!) trying to figure out what was wrong. Then, finally I stumbled upon an old (archived) Line 6 support thread and a poster named Apollodude217 had the solution! (At least it worked for my issue.) 

Hold the "Tremolo/Cab" row button down when your turn on the AX2. The display will briefly show "HPn off". According the AX2 manual (p. 5-15 & 5-16), "HPn off" means the Speaker Emulator is turned off to the direct out jack. For me, that does the trick! I haven't had any "fluttering/gurgling" since, as long as I hold down the "Tremolo/Cab" row button when I start up my AX2. NOTE: This setting is NOT retained when you turn the AX2 off, so you have to do it every time you turn on your AX2. 

Give it a try and see if it solves your issue.

Here is a link to that old support thread and Apollodude217's solution:

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/12118

Jay