Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cheaper way to get a Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit

OK Guys,

Looked around in the UK and the cheapest Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit  I could find was £99.

However Digital Village (DV247.com) do the A/B switch for £22.70,

Official Line 6 Power adapter 9v 2000mA on ebay.co.uk around £18,

TRS Cable £12.00,

XLR Cable £14.50.(optional if you want to go acoustic in PA)

Total: £67.20

Admit you have several packages to wait for but 1/3 off seems good to me.

Hope this helps others wanting to save battery use.

Regards

Steve

• 11 months later...

Hi mate,

I know you posted a while ago but the Line 6 power kit's still don't appear to be available.  Which of those bits do I need if I just want to power my Variax?  I am selling my DT25 and PodHD500X but keeping the Variax.  Might I have all the cables I need? I don't want to rely on the battery because I always forget to charge it up.

thanks

AndyB

• Downvote 1

• 4 years later...

On 1/14/2015 at 11:05 PM, stevesilk1951 said:

OK Guys,

Looked around in the UK and the cheapest Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit  I could find was £99.

However Digital Village (DV247.com) do the A/B switch for £22.70,

Official Line 6 Power adapter 9v 2000mA on ebay.co.uk around £18,

TRS Cable £12.00,

XLR Cable £14.50.(optional if you want to go acoustic in PA)

Total: £67.20

Admit you have several packages to wait for but 1/3 off seems good to me.

Hope this helps others wanting to save battery use.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve! Could you give a direct link for Digital Village A/B switch at their website please? Can't find it at dv247.com.

Cheers!

15 hours ago, cbrillow said:

You do realize that you've responded to a posting that was made over 5 years ago, don't you?

Wouldn't count on your being able to come up with the requested info, but I wish you luck!

Yes sir, I do. Asked for it, because Line 6 XPS line is not available in my country at offline stores, online stores, a second-hand products. I can't even order it brand-new from another country due to Line6/yamaha corp policy.

13 hours ago, cbrillow said:

Try this link -- I searched at dv247.com  and found it on page 4 of the Line 6 listings.

Thank you a lot for your help and attention, but as I said I can't order it due to Line 6 policy. Line 6 forbids them to sell and ship L6 products to another countries where Line 6 have an official distributors. You can see it on attached screenshot. The same result I got before at Thomann.de .

There is an official Line 6 distributor in my country (Russia), but they just do not sell XPS line. Don't know why, maybe there are too few Variax owners in my country and there is no point to sell this products.

Anyway If won't find the way to order it or do something diy I will just continue to use it with batteries as before.

Once again, thank you a lot!

xps.jpg

Given that you asked for an active link on dv247.com, it wasn't altogether clear to me what the issue was. Now that you've explained it a bit better, I understand your problem.

One question: have you contacted Line 6 directly? This is a user forum, primarily, and your message may not be seen by the company, itself. There's only one Line 6 rep who checks in here with any frequency, and his  presence is limited due to the Covid-19 situation. Maybe try opening a ticket on the support portion of the site?

A DIY shouldn't be too tough, if you just needed to supply the Variax with operating power using a TRS cable and taking the signal into a guitar amp. The ability to switch between the 1/4" output and an XLR connector would be more complicated.

I have a couple of older Variaxes -- a 500 and a 600. I mostly used the 500 with a Pod XT Live and the VDI cable for power. But I built an adapter to use an inexpensive 5V cellphone power bank in place of the 6AA cells that it normally takes. It lasts longer and is easier to change, just by disconnecting the USB connection from one and plugging in another that's already charged. If you have easy access to electronic parts where you are -- Amazon.com? - I could share my solution with you for evaluation.

Note that this doesn't work with James Tyler devices. You're pretty much stuck with the official Line 6 battery or the XPS or compatible foot controller there..

On 5/17/2020 at 8:30 PM, cbrillow said:

Given that you asked for an active link on dv247.com, it wasn't altogether clear to me what the issue was. Now that you've explained it a bit better, I understand your problem.

One question: have you contacted Line 6 directly? This is a user forum, primarily, and your message may not be seen by the company, itself. There's only one Line 6 rep who checks in here with any frequency, and his  presence is limited due to the Covid-19 situation. Maybe try opening a ticket on the support portion of the site?

A DIY shouldn't be too tough, if you just needed to supply the Variax with operating power using a TRS cable and taking the signal into a guitar amp. The ability to switch between the 1/4" output and an XLR connector would be more complicated.

I have a couple of older Variaxes -- a 500 and a 600. I mostly used the 500 with a Pod XT Live and the VDS cable for power. But I built an adapter to use an inexpensive 5V cellphone power bank in place of the 6AA cells that it normally takes. It lasts longer and is easier to change, just by disconnecting the USB connection from one and plugging in another that's already charged. If you have easy access to electronic parts where you are -- Amazon.com? - I could share my solution with you for evaluation.

Note that this doesn't work with James Tyler devices. You're pretty much stuck with the official Line 6 battery or the XPS or compatible foot controller there..

No, I did not contact Line 6, I will open a ticket, thanks.

I was thinking about making a box or pedal to power the Variax via TRS cable, but I don’t have a circuit and I did not see the inside of the pedal, so I’m afraid to damage the guitar. Perhaps inside the XPS pedals the power supply is not just connected to the ring and sleeve and the tip is connected directly from input to output. There also can be other components. I don’t even know where to connect + and - : to the ring or sleeve. If you have a photo of a pedal inside or a circuit, it would be very helpful.

I'm using the Variax 300 and if you share your solution with a power bank I'll be very grateful. Yes, I have an accsess to electronic parts, no problem there. But I thought Variax powers with a 9V DC? 6AA batteries 1.5V each have a 9V output. Anywhere you know better than me if your solution works.

6 hours ago, cbrillow said:

I’ll help you out as best I can, but need a day or two. Sprained my ankle today and can’t get down in the basement to gather the necessary information to send along. Think you’ll find it helpful!

Do not worry about time! I will wait as long as necessary. Thank you for your attention to my problem, I hope you'll get better soon!

Getting around a little better today, so I'm sending a picture of my Variax 600 solution for using a 5V power bank.  Note that I don't really use my 600 very much, and didn't create a permanent installation --  I just ran the cable with the USB connector through the dimple in the top of the cutout for the battery box.

This thing cost me $10.99 from Amazon.com DC-DC switching power converter  Works great, is on-board adjustable without needing a meter, and is simple to hook up, thanks to having screw terminal blocks for the input and output. (the blue boxes on the left & right sides of the picture)

I have a power bank that clips onto my strap. Also note that I used a 9V battery clip so that the board plugs in just as if it were the battery pack, and that I have the output set at 8.8Vdc, which works great. 

2140430453_V600DCbuckjpg.thumb.jpg.8182f73136a33d96f84fa4fc5a8356c5.jpg

cbrillow, wow, thanks for sharing your solution! I'm glad that it works: now I can use your solution with my guitar. Special thanks for the photo: I can't order this converter from amazon, but I found the same at another online store, where I can order it.

I see it's not permanent installation, so do you think it's possible to place a small powerbank in cutout with that converter? I mean, the main question is what is the height of that converter. Seems to me it's around 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) or a little higher, so basically it's possible while depth of the cutout without a damper at the bottom is 1.18 inch (3.1 cm). Of course if the width and lenght (+ usb plug) of a powerbank fits and it's height less than (1.18 minus 0.5 inch) = 0.68 inch (1.7 cm).

Many thanks to you! You really helped me.

The battery compartment runs off +9V battery, or a battery pack that holds six AA 1.5V batteries.

Actually, Support is across the hall from me, I'm a repair tech. I come onto the Forum and Facebook

Line 6 gear pages to try to keep everyone from doing things to their product that would make it end

up on my repair bench needlessly. Mostly with guitars and tube amps, as people want to mod those

in ways that would blow the gear and make them end up on my bench. Wear and tear is one thing,

preventable stuff, that's something else.

Example,... the mod above, will probably work okay. But it's a third party modification, not supported

by Line 6. So, if it were to end on my bench for a failure in that circuit, though I would know how to deal

with it, I would not be allowed to do anything with it. It's not our device or product, it's the other company's 

thing and they would have to deal with it. So mods are a touchy thing.

Done my share of Variax mods, custom work and transplants. But those were favours for the execs here and

the Line 6 artist endorsers that the work was for. That and 50+ years of experience is why I know where all

the pitfalls are and what one can get away with, with this gear.

In the meantime, Rock-N-Roll!!!

7 hours ago, westryder said:

I see it's not permanent installation, so do you think it's possible to place a small powerbank in cutout with that converter? I mean, the main question is what is the height of that converter. Seems to me it's around 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) or a little higher, so basically it's possible while depth of the cutout without a damper at the bottom is 1.18 inch (3.1 cm). Of course if the width and lenght (+ usb plug) of a powerbank fits and it's height less than (1.18 minus 0.5 inch) = 0.68 inch (1.7 cm).

You're correct. It's essentially 1/2" in height. It's doubtful that you'd be able to find an actual power bank that would fit in that cavity, but a a battery or cell might. For example, I have a pair of these that I bought for a bluetooth speaker that suffered a battery failure. It's a 3.7V 1500mAh Li-ion battery, and they are thin enough -- .22" - that TWO of them would fit in there along with the converter board. But you have to be very careful with these things, and I'm not about to recommend a series or parallel connection to come up with an ideal voltage or current. A single 3.7V unit like this should work, as the minimum input to the converter is 3Vdc. I'm not so sure of the current, though. It it did work, it may not last as long as you'd like. Although the converter is rated at a much higher current output, if its input supply is limited, it might not work too well or long...  You might look around for a single piece solution that has a higher current output and fits in the remaining space. 

My 600 is basically unused, as I don't like the tuning instability due to the tremolo. So I never bothered to make a more permanent solution to mounting the power bank externally. It's a smallish stick, and sits unobtrusively out of the way.

I could also draw you up a diagram if you want to pursue the other solution, essentially a DIY miniXPS. I'm not familiar with the miniXPS, which apparently was sold with the Variax 300, but I have at least one of the full-sized XPS units from one of my Variaxes. You are correct that that supply for the guitar is sent on the ring of the TRS plug. Coming up with a safe solution for that would be borderline trivial. Sounds like you might have the ability to cook that up, yourself, but I'm happy to help.

For my purposes, though -- I prefer using the converter board, because then I can plug in my Relay G10 wireless to the guitar output jack instead if connecting to the XPS with a TRS cable.

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, cbrillow said:

Getting around a little better today, so I'm sending a picture of my Variax 600 solution for using a 5V power bank.  Note that I don't really use my 600 very much, and didn't create a permanent installation --  I just ran the cable with the USB connector through the dimple in the top of the cutout for the battery box.

This thing cost me $10.99 from Amazon.com DC-DC switching power converter  Works great, is on-board adjustable without needing a meter, and is simple to hook up, thanks to having screw terminal blocks for the input and output. (the blue boxes on the left & right sides of the picture)

I have a power bank that clips onto my strap. Also note that I used a 9V battery clip so that the board plugs in just as if it were the battery pack, and that I have the output set at 8.8Vdc, which works great. 

2140430453_V600DCbuckjpg.thumb.jpg.8182f73136a33d96f84fa4fc5a8356c5.jpg

Appreciate this is an old thread....

Trying to build c brillows solution using a 5V powerpack in the UK

Can't seem to get his exact model of step up board.....all the ones I've found are too big for the battery compartment.

Also, what current powerpack do I need?  Will 2.1A be enough?

Can anyone post a link to a step up board that will fit (UK based)....the battery compartment is roughly 67mmx48mm

• Upvote 1

Technically, that would be an unsupported modification. If it were to end up on my bench, any service repairs I would do for

that would be for anything else that didn't involve that board, since it's not our product. Though servicing that board looks pretty

straight forward, they wouldn't allow me to service that board.

Heard that they work okay. Never dealt with one those myself yet, except for a similar circuit on a bread board.

Any mods the alter any function of the guitar, would be an unsupported mod.

Just so that you are all aware.

Happy hunting. Rock-n-roll!!!

10 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

Technically, that would be an unsupported modification. If it were to end up on my bench, any service repairs I would do for

that would be for anything else that didn't involve that board, since it's not our product. Though servicing that board looks pretty

straight forward, they wouldn't allow me to service that board.

Heard that they work okay. Never dealt with one those myself yet, except for a similar circuit on a bread board.

Any mods the alter any function of the guitar, would be an unsupported mod.

Just so that you are all aware.

Happy hunting. Rock-n-roll!!!

Thanks yeah I think you made that clear last year :-) Unfortunately my XPS mini can't be repaired in the UK and the battery life with the 6AA's is pretty poor so I'm stuck with finding workarounds :-(

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, mozart999uk said:

Appreciate this is an old thread....

Trying to build c brillows solution using a 5V powerpack in the UK

Can't seem to get his exact model of step up board.....all the ones I've found are too big for the battery compartment.

Also, what current powerpack do I need?  Will 2.1A be enough?

Can anyone post a link to a step up board that will fit (UK based)....the battery compartment is roughly 67mmx48mm

Hello!

I have built a power box for Variax 300 using cbillow solution and it works fine. I use it to power a guitar via TRS cable. You can use any voltage boost board. I have not found exactly the same as used cbrillow, so I ordered an LTC1871 step-up board. Its dimensions are exactly 67x44 mm. I have attached a photo. I also have seen a board built on XL6009, I think it will work fine too.

You can just search for "dc-dc step up" and any will be okay if it boosts the voltage. They come in a variety of sizes including models without a screen (it's usually smaller).

I use a 2A smartphone charger, it works fine. So 2.1A DC will be okay.

P_20210915_204709.jpg

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, westryder said:

Hello!

I have built a power box for Variax 300 using cbillow solution and it works fine. I use it to power a guitar via TRS cable. You can use any voltage boost board. I have not found exactly the same as used cbrillow, so I ordered an LTC1871 step-up board. Its dimensions are exactly 67x44 mm. I have attached a photo. I also have seen a board built on XL6009, I think it will work fine too.

You can just search for "dc-dc step up" and any will be okay if it boosts the voltage. They come in a variety of sizes including models without a screen (it's usually smaller).

I use a 2A smartphone charger, it works fine. So 2.1A DC will be okay.

P_20210915_204709.jpg

Thanks Westryder :-)

That's an interesting way of doing it - rather than putting the board in the back of the guitar (think it would be a bit of a squeeze!) :-)

Oh - and you use a smarphone charger rather than a battery?  Oh that's very cool. Didn't know you could do that!

I've found this board one:   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283757806256?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item42114882b0:g:bhgAAOSwP0ZeLfG4&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSwcmzw5CLtzTE60FqHcnq2H0sUCa%2BU3XFDDRz6tLFvU0tSrPQsARBQu49EU4qJSSRjbwVitrKhL9Z4jzjbzQH547jHL8oq9bUWaddgXq28c2VzDKvUzKmilg2r4MZ6kQDOYmOqfYWVulQwMbTwVxfIQMi4nKyP3rmZBrdASpsItouIhBeTMCm4tNPs15LgmtqXa2EQ%2BA0R%2BGsc5UiL%2FPx88Kxll%2B28uL%2BiXcjLQ2CQqcehWikNY%2BlfKaOBi%2FO%2FVKSq5Amil3dNE93BHZBAe2eLC4Sbi6zwFU7MJsBL3msCfRv6%2F02mvf9ckExnzuEQEqDu74jHSlxYklgGDsN53BEEiW8Hd7z%2BQTVGYit%2BhBPIDFxMkMZpNIecteObThr2WmcgF6HEk2TUJKfXOFSO25m3dsyz5u1rbvHiw1PsWT41e%2FuYyMyXK5Gedx95VtGltZBiHdnA41StgY5cr8MEp%2FRccqnbrXa0P7DzYmWWCBU6lOGJqltw%2FlNl2r3uwa8ETnieaQ1QbB411biH%2BlwbdZ3UT%2B5%2ByNEDUJZvxJ8UUkJfRHoHPk%2BoBMI2ajqukjlE0oAP8L4X07GfNSe78TSLcko2Q%2Bf2ftHbcCCatQfNx9rmkZwM47dXwVLIvC27tefoydHp3aPBSC5OI73vvhKMbIV%2B0AjsU6aSa9Aorv8qjHH%2B7LK5o19YLo8RT%2F1D6bZLBQZdWCdQdrQwKTh%2BaPhV05%2BtDUgLlH1OZPq4ErtSMt8wIZkBt%2BG1eHr1qKwM14cx3Nti36Nqky47r2pPWTproVcuKKKMPqDWEOZpkh8FF1ks4bx7M1osFiTNxDaXe4BS9Du|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

(sorry for the long link)  which looks small enough to fit in the back. Would save me having to source a box :-@)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cbrillow said:

Congratulations on your build, westryder! Very glad to hear that you found a suitable DC - DC converter and it worked for you! This is a dead-easy solution, and it should be very safe, given the protections built into these modules!

I could not have done it without your help. I have built it a few months ago. I tried to message you but I can't send direct messages here at Line6 forums for the unknown reason. So I want to thank you once again here! Your solution works perfectly. I was a bit scared to damage my guitar when plugged it in for the first time, but everything is alright! Now I don't care about batteries: just push the button and I'm ready to play!

6 hours ago, mozart999uk said:

Thanks Westryder :-)

That's an interesting way of doing it - rather than putting the board in the back of the guitar (think it would be a bit of a squeeze!) :-)

Oh - and you use a smarphone charger rather than a battery?  Oh that's very cool. Didn't know you could do that!

I've found this board one:   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283757806256?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item42114882b0:g:bhgAAOSwP0ZeLfG4&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSwcmzw5CLtzTE60FqHcnq2H0sUCa%2BU3XFDDRz6tLFvU0tSrPQsARBQu49EU4qJSSRjbwVitrKhL9Z4jzjbzQH547jHL8oq9bUWaddgXq28c2VzDKvUzKmilg2r4MZ6kQDOYmOqfYWVulQwMbTwVxfIQMi4nKyP3rmZBrdASpsItouIhBeTMCm4tNPs15LgmtqXa2EQ%2BA0R%2BGsc5UiL%2FPx88Kxll%2B28uL%2BiXcjLQ2CQqcehWikNY%2BlfKaOBi%2FO%2FVKSq5Amil3dNE93BHZBAe2eLC4Sbi6zwFU7MJsBL3msCfRv6%2F02mvf9ckExnzuEQEqDu74jHSlxYklgGDsN53BEEiW8Hd7z%2BQTVGYit%2BhBPIDFxMkMZpNIecteObThr2WmcgF6HEk2TUJKfXOFSO25m3dsyz5u1rbvHiw1PsWT41e%2FuYyMyXK5Gedx95VtGltZBiHdnA41StgY5cr8MEp%2FRccqnbrXa0P7DzYmWWCBU6lOGJqltw%2FlNl2r3uwa8ETnieaQ1QbB411biH%2BlwbdZ3UT%2B5%2ByNEDUJZvxJ8UUkJfRHoHPk%2BoBMI2ajqukjlE0oAP8L4X07GfNSe78TSLcko2Q%2Bf2ftHbcCCatQfNx9rmkZwM47dXwVLIvC27tefoydHp3aPBSC5OI73vvhKMbIV%2B0AjsU6aSa9Aorv8qjHH%2B7LK5o19YLo8RT%2F1D6bZLBQZdWCdQdrQwKTh%2BaPhV05%2BtDUgLlH1OZPq4ErtSMt8wIZkBt%2BG1eHr1qKwM14cx3Nti36Nqky47r2pPWTproVcuKKKMPqDWEOZpkh8FF1ks4bx7M1osFiTNxDaXe4BS9Du|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

(sorry for the long link)  which looks small enough to fit in the back. Would save me having to source a box :-@)

I don't use a wireless system, so the box in a pedalboard was the best choice for me.

I guess you didn't understand my solution :) I have made not a built-in power as cbillow. I have built a discrete box. It stays in my pedalboard, so I plug variax in it using a TRS cable and it powers a guitar through it :) So a phone charger is just a power supply: 5V from a charger goes to dc-dc step-up board. Board converts it to ~8.8V DC. And 8.8V goes to input 1/4 TRS plug and then to the guitar. So literally my solution is an analogue of Line6 XPS-mini. Hope I explained it clearly. My English is not so good as I wish :)

The step-up board you've found on ebay is ok, you can use it. Please pay attention that there is no "fasteners" for the wires - you should have to solder wires directly to the board. And make sure that the board can memorize output voltage after unplugging a battery pack, because there is no voltage meter (screen) on it, so you can't control output voltage on the go. But I guess that board memorizes output voltage, everything will be fine.

If you have any questions - please feel free to ask me, I'll try to help you.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, westryder said:

I could not have done it without your help. I have built it a few months ago. I tried to message you but I can't send direct messages here at Line6 forums for the unknown reason. So I want to thank you once again here! Your solution works perfectly. I was a bit scared to damage my guitar when plugged it in for the first time, but everything is alright! Now I don't care about batteries: just push the button and I'm ready to play!

Very happy to help, my friend! 

Some time ago, I drew up a wiring diagram for someone who wanted to use the board the same way you have - in a box, as a replacement of the XPS Footswitch. I didn't post that diagram in the forum, I sent it to him via a personal message. I looked for that message and can't find it! It looks like direct messaging may have been removed from the forum's functionality. Booooo!

But I did find the attachment, and I'm including it here. Obviously, you don't need this, because you figured out all the details yourself. But it may help someone else looking to do the same as you.

Variax external power supply (corrected).pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbrillow said:

Very happy to help, my friend! 

Some time ago, I drew up a wiring diagram for someone who wanted to use the board the same way you have - in a box, as a replacement of the XPS Footswitch. I didn't post that diagram in the forum, I sent it to him via a personal message. I looked for that message and can't find it! It looks like direct messaging may have been removed from the forum's functionality. Booooo!

But I did find the attachment, and I'm including it here. Obviously, you don't need this, because you figured out all the details yourself. But it may help someone else looking to do the same as you.

Variax external power supply (corrected).pdf 139.15 kB · 1 download

I guess that someone you talking about is me! But maybe I'm wrong and there is another guy around who wanted to build an xps copy by himself at the same time as me!

You can see my first post in this thread above (that was more than a year ago! How time flies!), then we had a short conversation it this thread, and after that - in the direct messages. And no - I've figured out all the details not by myself, but from you in the direct messages! You have explained me all the details and showed the diagrams. But I don't remember exactly this diagram, I guess there was another one. I have to look for it at my laptop, because I have saved all the attachements from you.

Maybe you remember: I told you that sometimes I use a Google translate to write you a messages, because my English is not good. And you replied, that I type well and better than some native English speakers. Maybe that information can help you to find out that you're talking about me (or not).

Anyway, I'm glad to see you again!

Yes, I do remember that English wasn't your native language, and the other details of your message make it clear that it was you that I'd been in contact with! I did have a different diagram, similar to this 'final version', but think there was a wiring error on that one. It's also possible that I send something cruder before this one.

At any rate, I've often wondered if you'd managed to put together your project, but as crazy as the world has been with Covid the past year, wasn't surprised that we've lost contact.

I'm delighted to know that it's you! If I were a couple of years younger, I'm sure I would've immediately recognized your forum ID. I THOUGHT it might be you, but my memory isn't as sharp as it once was.

Have fun and may you and your Variax enjoy many years together!

17 hours ago, westryder said:

I don't use a wireless system, so the box in a pedalboard was the best choice for me.

I guess you didn't understand my solution :) 

Yes I understood your solution :-)  

I'm deciding whether to place to board in the back of my guitar, or build a replacement xps mini like you have done.

I've found that when I  power the guitar through the TRS cable (with my xps mini), wiggling  the jack in the socket in any way creates noise which is a pain as I'm doing a quite close and quiet recording project.   My xps mini is broken though (it "blows" and "pops" occasionally for a minute or two so that might be the cause.  Not sure. Have cleaned the sockets both ends with a burnisher and deoxit and tried a different cable and it still does it :-(

Thanks for all your help. I've noted the comment about the board I found not having a display and possibly not remembering the correct voltage step up after each power on.

I'll check that :-)

19 hours ago, cbrillow said:

Yes, I do remember that English wasn't your native language, and the other details of your message make it clear that it was you that I'd been in contact with! I did have a different diagram, similar to this 'final version', but think there was a wiring error on that one. It's also possible that I send something cruder before this one.

At any rate, I've often wondered if you'd managed to put together your project, but as crazy as the world has been with Covid the past year, wasn't surprised that we've lost contact.

I'm delighted to know that it's you! If I were a couple of years younger, I'm sure I would've immediately recognized your forum ID. I THOUGHT it might be you, but my memory isn't as sharp as it once was.

Have fun and may you and your Variax enjoy many years together!

I was very disappointed that I can't text you via direct messages. Great that I finally could let you know that I have built a powerbox an it works fine!

I have found the diagram you sent to me in my laptop. It is exactly the same as you posted here. I aslo have found "uncorrected" version of it. There is only one difference: in "uncorrected" version there is no R1 resistor before LED1. But I made it in simpler way. I just installed a button with built-in LED instead of using discrete button+LED+R.

Me and my Variax are together for about ten years and do not want to part with it. New variaxes have a nice features like alternate tunings switch, customizing guitar in the workbench, magnetic pickups. But I heard that the only way to power them is batteries OR VDI from helix/pod/another line6 product. No more simple powering via TRS cable. It disappoints me because I don't want to be a slave of another L6 product. And I know nothing about difference in SOUND between old and new Variaxes. I think there is no HUGE difference: my 300 sounds pretty close to the simulated original guitars.

So the only thing I really want to own is a Variax bass. Don't know why L6 has discontinued it. Looking forward to own it.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:17 PM, mozart999uk said:

Yes I understood your solution :-)  

I'm deciding whether to place to board in the back of my guitar, or build a replacement xps mini like you have done.

I've found that when I  power the guitar through the TRS cable (with my xps mini), wiggling  the jack in the socket in any way creates noise which is a pain as I'm doing a quite close and quiet recording project.   My xps mini is broken though (it "blows" and "pops" occasionally for a minute or two so that might be the cause.  Not sure. Have cleaned the sockets both ends with a burnisher and deoxit and tried a different cable and it still does it :-(

Thanks for all your help. I've noted the comment about the board I found not having a display and possibly not remembering the correct voltage step up after each power on.

I'll check that :-)

You can order the step up board and try to build a copy of xps. It's easy work. You can find the diagram in cbrillow post above. It's absolutely correct: my power box was built in according to it. You can ignore LED1 and R1 if you don't need an on/off indicator.

So if your guitar still noising - just use a second way: place a board to the back of your guitar.

I guess this board remembers correct output voltage because it has a mechanical potentiometer that regulates the voltage. So nothing gonna happen if you power it off. I have checked now how my board works. I've fully powered it off, then turned potentiometer a few times, then powered it on - voltage has changed. So the only thing that controls the voltage is a potentiometer position. If it still the same - voltage is correct whatever you do with the power. But of course you better to check it by yourself. Text me for any questions! Have a nice day!

Thanks for the offer of help.  I'll let you know how I get on.  I've got my xps mini case so I'll fit the board in that :-) 

Just out of interest, I have the original 9v AC power supply that came with my XPS mini (and a spare).

Would something like this work to convert it to 9V DC?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254604767477?hash=item3b47a070f5:g:RrgAAOSwojdbMbjL

I was very disappointed that I can't text you via direct messages. Great that I finally could let you know that I have built a powerbox an it works fine!

If you wish to have a direct link with me, you can do it via Gmail.com, with cbrillow being the first part of the address. I'm always happy to keep in touch and was very pleased to hear that your project worked well!

I have found the diagram you sent to me in my laptop. It is exactly the same as you posted here. I aslo have found "uncorrected" version of it. There is only one difference: in "uncorrected" version there is no R1 resistor before LED1. But I made it in simpler way. I just installed a button with built-in LED instead of using discrete button+LED+R.

Yeah, that works too, and is easier than using separate parts!

Me and my Variax are together for about ten years and do not want to part with it. New variaxes have a nice features like alternate tunings switch, customizing guitar in the workbench, magnetic pickups. But I heard that the only way to power them is batteries OR VDI from helix/pod/another line6 product. No more simple powering via TRS cable.

My gosh, I guess my first Variax is around 18 years old, or so. I ordered it before they actually started to ship to music stores! The one that I built the power supply for is a 600 that I bought in around 2007 or so. (and probably have played it for less than a couple of hours, total...) 

Don't have any idea about the newest line of the Variax, those made since the sale to Yamaha. Maybe they have eliminated use of the XPS?

Take care, my friend, and drop me a line via email, if you'd like..

Edited by cbrillow
Removed a comment about my JTV-59

2 hours ago, mozart999uk said:

Just out of interest, I have the original 9v AC power supply that came with my XPS mini (and a spare).

Would something like this work to convert it to 9V DC?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254604767477?hash=item3b47a070f5:g:RrgAAOSwojdbMbjL

Hello,

Hope you don't mind my 'butting in' on your conversation with westryder, but this is a topic in which I'm very interested. The board you've linked to looks like a good match for your project! It appears that it's very versatile in terms of both input and output voltages. The only thing I would be hesitant about would be if you were trying to use it near one of the limits of either the minimum or maximum input or output voltages. But you'd be using it comfortably in the middle of the range for both input and output, so it looks like a very good choice.

Good luck with your project - keep rocking!

31 minutes ago, cbrillow said:

Hello,

Hope you don't mind my 'butting in' on your conversation with westryder, but this is a topic in which I'm very interested. The board you've linked to looks like a good match for your project! It appears that it's very versatile in terms of both input and output voltages. The only thing I would be hesitant about would be if you were trying to use it near one of the limits of either the minimum or maximum input or output voltages. But you'd be using it comfortably in the middle of the range for both input and output, so it looks like a very good choice.

Good luck with your project - keep rocking!

Hi. Not at all. After all, it was your excellent post that started me on this journey!

So I guess, using it this way (9V AC to 9V DC) is more or less replicating the XPS mini itself.

Any reason that could be better or worse than the way you did it using a step up board? 

39 minutes ago, mozart999uk said:

Any reason that could be better or worse than the way you did it using a step up board? 

In my mind, the answer is pretty simple: 'Volts is volts'... In other words, as long as you're supplying the guitar with the clean, regulated, protected and AC-line isolated voltage that it wants to see, it shouldn't care if they're coming from a battery or Mr. Fusion... 

I would advise checking out the converter board very carefully to verify that it works as-advertised when you receive it. Sometimes 'imported' products can be dodgy. You should be able to verify its functionality with a simple voltmeter.

Take your time, double check all your connections and -- have fun!

Thanks so much for your encouragement.

On the subject of checking the boards, I'm wondering if my mastech multimeter is calibrated properly.

I tested the output of the XPS mini and it reads 8.2V.

Both my 12AC PSUs for the XPS mini show 10.3-10.5V AC 

A brand new AA duracell battery shows 1.60V.

I've tested it on various ohms settings and it shows zero when I touch the leads together.

Any thoughts?