Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using POD HD500 for bass effects only

Siessi

Hey,  I've recently switched from guitar to bass in my band and because I've already got an HD500 I figured I'd just keep on using it.  However I feel there is no need to use any amp models as my amp sounds just fine so I'm just using my POD as a multi-fx unit.

I'm getting some good results so far but I've noticed that there are many more people who seem to know a lot more about this gear than me so I just thought I'd start this topic.

Anyone else using a POD for bass FX only?

BTW, despite my low post numbers and reputation, I've been using a POD for a few years so I have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of what I'm doing.

Hi, dude!

In my experience after comparing the Bass POD XT and the HD500 is that the difference in sound quality was abysmal. The XT probably wore horrible converters that resulted in a dark sound and way low output volume, which made it little less than useless to record with him.

I say this because initially bought the Bass XT next to my Variax Bass 705 (an excellent instrument, by the way), and when I started playing guitar I bought a second hand X3 Live, and later, a brand new HD500. I could have stayed with either of the first two for use with my bass, but there were two factors that prompted me to sell them: the software was obsolete, and I was getting very good results with the HD500.

So, where is the trick to making all those guitar amps in the HD500 sound good with a bass ? The most important part is in the parameters of the cab:
-Set Res Level and Thump parameters between 1 and 3 o'clock position. The same for the Decay
-Low Cut at 60Hz (up to 100hz with some models) Do not worry about the frequency of root notes. If you listen a muddy bottom, do not hesitate, cut it off.

There would be other things you could do: Add a compressor early in your FX chain. In the mixer block, pan both channels to the center, and raise the level from there about +5dB. Add a Mid Focus EQ after the mixer to cut the LP Freq,
and you are done.

Take a look to my thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/263-bass-patches-pod-hd-series/

At that time I was still using the noise gate instead of the Hard Gate in my presets, but the latter is much better, because does not suck tone.
When I have time I will update that thread including new presets.

By the way, I have read that Digital Igloo said something about Line 6 is working on new stuff for bass. Personally I would prefer it to be integrated into the same unit, as it was in the X3 live.
Perhaps the reason why there are not many multi-effects for bass in the market is due to low sales. The fact is: Bass players only need an amplifier and a compressor. All the other is dispensable.

So I hope that Line 6 does not manufacture two separate bass and guitar MFX lines, I think it would be a big mistake.

Yes, I tend to ramble often. I like it.

Well, maybe the OP still does not use the amps becouse they are initially were made for guitar, using the default cab settings.

Anyway, I think the HD500 can also be a great FX-only processor for bass.
Its just I think of amp models as an effect to add different colors to the sound of the instrument, so it is not incompatible with using a real amp, from my point of view.

I recently purchased a Roland CB-120XL, but I have not yet tried to connect the HD500, as the Roland already includes a compressor, some good amp modeling and basic effects that are plenty enough for me. In fact, I think even considering it only by the super flat channel and the compressor, this amp sounds amazing and definitely worth it.

Yes I have and do from time to time. Generally live I play thru my rig as is BXR dual 400.

To me bass modulates enough for most standard rock covers. I have a OD1 for some fuzz.

Adding modulation annoys me but for recording some of the FX on the HD are surprisingly good on bass where on guitar nothing to write home about.

I recommend trying all the modulation FX for yourself.

Of course the filter FX and compressors go without saying.

And the fuzz FX can be just right in a dual path.

Bass really brings some of them alive

Thanks for all the replies, people! I guess I could have been a little more specific in my question.

But first, Ed_Saxman, I'm afraid I must differ with one thing you said.  You see, in my band bass is the lead instrument so I often require much more than the basic effects.  Delays, mods, filters, distortions and even those trippy reverbs all form part of my pallet.  So that's why the pod is so great.  I can use a tonne of fx at any one time and I can switch them in ways that would be impossible without a complex pedal-looping system.  In addition to that all my delays are synced to tempo so the pod wins again.

But to get to the crux of the matter, my bass rig is a high-powered monster with a great stand-alone tone (Hartke LH1000 into a 900w Lab Systems 6x10 cab) so I feel no need to use any of the amp models at all.  I guess I was just concerned with making sure any settings on the pod I was using were optimal considering I don't need any of the amp models.

I'm getting some good results so far but I've noticed that there are many more people who seem to know a lot more about this gear than me so IAnyone else using a POD for bass FX only?

BTW, despite my low post numbers and reputation, I've been using a POD for a few years so I have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of what I'm doing.

Have you tried setting it up the way you want yet? If so what kind of results are you getting? I find most of the time I end up using guitar amps with my 5 string, lol. Yes I know you don't want to use them. Some very funky tones can be had with the pods.

In my experience after comparing the Bass POD XT and the HD500 is that the difference in sound quality was abysmal. The XT probably wore horrible converters that resulted in a dark sound and way low output volume, which made it little less than useless to record with him.

Good info Ed!!

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

I have a question. Whenever I go to upload the "(Bass Amps v3 Ed Saxman 16-Jan-2013)" It completely overrides the "Best of HD" Section. What can I do to make it so it doesn't do that?

Install it on another setlist. 

And before you ask how to do that.... 

have you read the owner's manual?

• Upvote 2

Install it on another setlist.

And before you ask how to do that....

have you read the owner's manual?

I have not. I have now downloaded the advanced guide (?) And will now be reading that throughly before asking questions. Thank you for not being an a**hole about it. I got my HD500 second hand and it did not come with the manual.
  • Upvote 1