elegault2

Can't get crunch/OD sounds from JVM 210 when using 4CM with POD HD500x

I'm using the 4CM with my new POD HD 500X and Marshall JVM 210H.  I've been studiously going over the manual, this forum and MeAmBobbo's guide but I'm still learning and have a specific problem: I cannot seem to get any of the tones output from the amp's overdrive and crunch channels, just the clean channel.  When I switch to either of the former channels I can hear the guitar but with only hiss and no OD/crunch (almost like it's just the clean channel + hiss).  Crunch/OD is fine when connecting the guitar direct without the POD.

I'm testing with a blank tone and just experimenting with a delay or mod effect or two and turning the amp model on or off (Blackface Dbl Nrm), but still no crunch/OD - only clean. But I'm guessing at this point - perhaps I've indeed wired this up wrong:

Guitar > Pod guitar in
Pod effects loop out > Amp guitar in
Amp effects loop out > Pod effects loop return
Pod unbalanced out > Amp effects loop return

I'm using the Stack Front Output Mode.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using the 4CM with my new POD HD 500X and Marshall JVM 210H.  I've been studiously going over the manual, this forum and MeAmBobbo's guide but I'm still learning and have a specific problem: I cannot seem to get any of the tones output from the amp's overdrive and crunch channels, just the clean channel.  When I switch to either of the former channels I can hear the guitar but with only hiss and no OD/crunch (almost like it's just the clean channel + hiss).  Crunch/OD is fine when connecting the guitar direct without the POD.

I'm testing with a blank tone and just experimenting with a delay or mod effect or two and turning the amp model on or off (Blackface Dbl Nrm), but still no crunch/OD - only clean. But I'm guessing at this point - perhaps I've indeed wired this up wrong:

Guitar > Pod guitar in

Pod effects loop out > Amp guitar in

Amp effects loop out > Pod effects loop return

Pod unbalanced out > Amp effects loop return

I'm using the Stack Front Output Mode.

What am I doing wrong?

This is something very easily overlooked. Make sure the FX loop Button on the front panel of the amp is ON in those channel modes of the JVM.

Glenn: Yup, it's on!

Hollis1003: That did it! I overlooked the part in the manual about the FX Loop being needed in the tone.  I assume that's mandatory??  Anyway I'll play around and I'm off to the races - thanks!