Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 combo + DT25 stack : L6Link behavior?

Correct me if I am wrong: when you L6Link an HD500(x) to a DT25, depending on if it's a combo or the head version, the HD500 then adjusts into either 'combo/poweramp' mode or 'stack/poweramp' mode.

My question concerns using both of those options linked together:

I would guess the HD500 can only perform one of those two 'output modes'; and most likely that setting is governed by which of the two DT25's is first in the link chain? In that case, which output mode do you use? Does it really impact the tone that much when using the L6link, or does each amp adjust accordingly and make it all work in tandem?

I am considering adding a 2nd DT25; have gone back and forth a bunch, in terms of getting a second combo, or having the pair of one combo and one head+1x12 cab.

Thanks!

Correct me if I am wrong: when you L6Link an HD500(x) to a DT25, depending on if it's a combo or the head version, the HD500 then adjusts into either 'combo/poweramp' mode or 'stack/poweramp' mode.

My question concerns using both of those options linked together:

I would guess the HD500 can only perform one of those two 'output modes'; and most likely that setting is governed by which of the two DT25's is first in the link chain? In that case, which output mode do you use? Does it really impact the tone that much when using the L6link, or does each amp adjust accordingly and make it all work in tandem?

I am considering adding a 2nd DT25; have gone back and forth a bunch, in terms of getting a second combo, or having the pair of one combo and one head+1x12 cab.

That's what I've read (from manuals and forum posts early last year) and understand too.

If output modes could be saved in the patch settings like speaker modes can be....And if both could be selected from within HD Edit....

None of that matters. Don't over analyze this. Use your ears. Plug it up and go with what sounds best to you. Get the second amp though. It is a huge difference over having just a single amp. Dual tones take on a whole new meaning. You won't be dissapointed. Don't let the tweaking minutiae paralyze you. GO FOR IT!

I set the output mode to studio direct. I only use pre-amp models and I turn off the cab simulation. Because I have an L2M for acoustic work, studio direct works well for my set up.

That is my preference. Someone else will wonder why I do it that way. My answer is because that is what sounds good to me. All of this stuff about what amp adjusts to what in the chain via L6 link output modes and all that mess just confused me and kept me fiddling with stuff rather than using my ears and playing guitar.

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Upvote 3

I turn off the cab simulation.

I tried this briefly with the DT25 in combo/poweramp mode, using the link - I wasn't liking it, but that is probably because some amount of the signal is now 'missing'. Not 100% sure, though, and will need to spend some more time just listening, and less time thinking about what should be happening, and just listen to what is happening. Thanks for the upbeat positive vibes! Good stuff, that's the right way to approach it. Just jump in and make it sound like YOU want it to sound, regardless of the process you take to make that happen. It's way more fun that way too :)

Yepper Colonel!

Try everything! What I have found helpful is to pick one output and stick with it. For example when I went with studio direct, I turned off the cab simulation got the PHD Motorway amp model sounding perfect. Now I have to make every amp model sound good with that selected output. Once I stopped tweaking every possible setting and focused on tone, I never looked back.

With that said, I only ever use 1 or 2 amp models live (it all depends on the room I'm playing in). So getting 2 amp models to sound the way I need them to sound was fairly easy. I feel sorry for those POD Heads who have to switch between 6 different amps in one song!

Never did understand that thought process.

Have fun playing guitar!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Get the second amp though. It is a huge difference over having just a single amp. Dual tones take on a whole new meaning. You won't be dissapointed. Don't let the tweaking minutiae paralyze you. GO FOR IT!

Yeah.. just did! Was messing with them last night; had the old HD500 linked to the pair of L2t's, had the newer HD500x linked to the pair of DT25's.

I must say, the JTV acoustic models sound a million times better through studio direct linked into the L2t's.. But for electric tones, the DT's win hands down, 100%. I am considering something like, use the HD500 for JTV acoustic tones, going direct to the mixer and/or into the L2ts - those are usually doing duty as floor monitors, so I'd still be able to route my signal through them, just not exclusively.

But man, pairing a couple Marshall amp models like the JCM800 and the Plexi, panning them hard left/right; linked into the two DT25's. so cool.

Plus, ping pong delay! So much fun. I can see it's a challenge to get amp models to pair well; since each amp is getting it's own sync data for the power amp settings, the volume jumps can be a bit extreme. Seems like this is the kind of rig you pre-program all the variables, and don't try to tweak on the fly. The settings as saved could be quite different from the setting position of any given knob, and by turning the knob, you can cause blasting insanely loud sound to occur, at say 1am, like I did last night!!

Thankfully the wife was out of town, and I have my gear in the basement, so I don't think I disturbed any neighbors. Woke me right up though!!!!

Anyway, just took both DT25's to the amp shop to get new JJ's tubes installed, figured do them both at the same time so they sound comparable.

Any thoughts or tips on good pairings of amp models, or tricks to get the relative levels balanced between two different amps models?>

I am thinking the mixer settings will be quite crucial, since they are individual for amp A and amp B, it seems likely to be a good way to approach getting the levels somewhere within reasonably match between the two amps.

I can see the allure of the full range / studio direct options. Takes one more variable out of the equation. The sync data is really the most crucial part of the DT link experience: you can pan everything mono, and sum to mono, but it will still split the typology data between the two amps based on the amp model designation, unrelated to the panning.

Mucho Fun!

• 4 weeks later...

hi there! i have the dt 25 combo, and also the dt 25 head. I linked them via L6link to my pod hd 500x, but i am unabke to make onr of them assume amp B...

for example: i use 3 amps paned hard left and right. I go to the setings on the pod and i say DT 1 does amp A, and DT 2 does amp B, but sound will only come out of the  DT1.  If i go to the sistem of my pod (again) and say that DT1 does amp B, and DT2 does amp A, sound will only come out of the DT 2...

i have tryed do say DT1 does left and DT 2 does right but still the same happens..

one strange thing also: if i use a ping pong delay, amp A  will play normaly with the delay on one of the DTs, but the other DT will play the delay only (stereo). I mean it will not play wen i play, but it will play the delay's feedback.

Can you help me??