Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hd300 master volume knob doesn't work

YjZep

Hi all.  I picked up an HD300 used for a headphone jamming session at a friends home.  Playing with it at home before taking it there, everything seems to work fine, except that master volume knob doesn't really seem to control volume.  I have the headphones plugged into the pod phone jack.  Havent tried thru an amp.  I can use channel/master on the amp models to set levels, but I assumed that master knob would adjust the whole thing in the phones.  Spinning it either way changes little.  MAYBE at low channel volume I can hear a *slight* difference between wide and closed, but I assumed I could kill the phones output by cranking that knob down.  Am I doing something wrong?

I know it doesn't function on a HD500 when connected via s/pdif out.

But it seems by what you describe a fault in the volume knob.

Being use you could take the unit apart and look for the obvious , with a veiw to changing the pot on the main board.

Yeah I was afraid it was the pot.  I didn't want to crack her and pull out my iron and meter if it was a "feature".  Although I am planning on running it thru a mixer at the jam sessions.  Phone level would be set there obv.  Never plan on using it with an amp.

You can use the mixer block to get the level your after using monitors.

Going in via s/pdif the master doesn't function and the volume is maxed but can be controlled by a s/pdif output level in the menu.

It pretty much stays as is so all level changes are made vial amp FX and mostly mixer block for consistence from one patch to another.

The master volume is essential for the headphone output.

And as you own a iron and meter why not.

The unit comes apart easily and the main boards come out easy enough. Take plenty of photos, look alot and check out any youtube videos.

Always better to have it fully operational.

No spdif on this unit.  I build pedals and amps so changing a pot shouldn't be a problem lol.  I typically stay far from DFX.  However, my last line 6 product was a spidervalve 112 that I got as a practice amp in maybe early 08.  It wasn't doing it for me, so I sold it.  Before that my last L6 product was a spider 212 combo in the mid late 90s.  This HD300 sounds WAAAAY better than pods used to.  Not quite like my pedalboard and amp(s) tho.  Last digital pedal I owned was a Boss GT8.  This blows that away in feel and sound quality as well.  Admittedly I am impressed.  Not enough to change my rig tho, especially since I don't leave my jam room much these days. 

Thanks for your answers!