Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Milkbone

If the Spider IV 75 is a "mono" amp and has a single amplifier, is the Spider IV 150 a "stereo" amp with 2 amplifiers (one for each channel)?  So basically, the Spider IV 75 and 150 are the same preamp/processor with the difference being that the 150 has an extra amp and speaker?

• 3 months later...

I don't believe it is constructed that way - the 150 doesn't have two 75 amps in it.  The preamp/processor is the same, as the 75 actually has stereo ouput (accessible via hte headphone/DI output).

How is it then that damage could occur if not using both speaker outs??

Electrical specs aside, imho it's not a good design, and it doesn't surprise me that people are blowing them up inadvertantly. Requiring the amp to be run in stereo to avoid roasting it doesn't make any sense to me at all, since the overwhelming majority of guitar rigs are mono. Yes, I know the cabinet that L6 sells with the HD 150 is wired in stereo, but this is now, and always was pointless. It's one box...there's no separation, so any stereo fx are effectively rendered mono anyway. And suppose I didn't want to be forced into that cabinet? Maybe I have a nice Marshall 4x12 that I've been using for 20 years that I like...which happens to be mono, surprise, surprise...

Most tube heads and power amps that are capable of running stereo, have discrete channels and master volumes. No risk at all using just one. You use one or the other, run in bridged mono if it's an option, or use 'em both independantly into separate cabs if you want to run stereo (but how many people actually do that? When was the last time you saw anybody drag a full stack to a local gig?)...this is what most players are used to.