Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ZOOM G3X sounds muffled/muted through Spider IV 15

eljaycanuck

Hi.  I just picked up a Spider IV 15 and, for the most part, I think it's a great little amp for the money.  One thing that's bugging me is that it seems to make my G3X stomp-box sound "muffled" or "thick".  I've tried adjusting the tone controls, but while that seems to change the sound, it doesn't seem to "un-muffle" it.

I used to have a Roland CUBE 30 and the G3X sounded great playing through its Clean channel: Everything sounded well-balanced (brights were bright, mids were "middy", etc.).  I demo'd a Marshall MG15CFX recently and the G3X sounded good through that amp's Clean channel, too.  So I know there's nothing wrong with my guitar (2013 Gibson SG Standard) or the G3X.

Any thoughts on what I can try on the amp to fix this?

Thanks!   :)

Yup, I'm using the Clean channel.  I was able to get things to sound a *little* bit better by reducing the output level of the G3X (from 100 to 85), and by dialing back the volume on the guitar itself (from 10 to ~7), but the overall sound still seems to lack "presence".  (Boosting the mids doesn't fix it - it just bloats the midrange.)

Have you tried plugging the pedal into the MP3/CD input on the amp?  This input bypasses the preamp.

'Muffled' to me means you're lacking the high-end, not the mid-range.  First look at the G3X's EQ settings and make sure you don't have the high end backed off on it.

Hey There, on a G5 - I have noticed that you have to go into the Global panel and try the different output modes (Studio Direct, Power Amp, etc..). I don't have a Spider IV but its what I have adjusted for a Power Engine 60 and various small practice amps.

You can also try switching cabs on the amp models if the above doesn't cut it.

-B

Thanks for the replies, guys.   :)

Have you tried plugging the pedal into the MP3/CD input on the amp?  This input bypasses the preamp.

'Muffled' to me means you're lacking the high-end, not the mid-range.  First look at the G3X's EQ settings and make sure you don't have the high end backed off on it.

I hadn't thought of plugging into the MP3/CD input.  I'll see if I have a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter and, if so, I'll give it a try.  The G3X's settings have the bass backed off.

Hey There, on a G5 - I have noticed that you have to go into the Global panel and try the different output modes (Studio Direct, Power Amp, etc..). I don't have a Spider IV but its what I have adjusted for a Power Engine 60 and various small practice amps.

You can also try switching cabs on the amp models if the above doesn't cut it.

-B

I've tried the different output modes.  Combo Front and Stack Front work best - the other settings make for a harsh sound.  I've also tried different cab models on the amp models and while I notice a difference in sound, that lack of "presence" (a "veil" over the sound) is always there.

I think I need to try something different - maybe a Fender Champion 20.  Dunno.  But I'm definitely returning the Spider.

Hmmm I would say try adding an Exciter to the end of the chain as it will put sparkle in it. But that said Exciters seem to be abused :) 

Fflbrsts suggestion is one that some people have tried so give that puppy a shot. I do have an old Spider II which really won't take any pedal but a modulation up front.

-B

Returned the Spider, tried out a Fender Mustang 1 v2. Meh. Returned that, picked up an Orange Crush PiX 20LDX...and found exactly what I've been looking for. What an awesome little amp! It's puts out big, clean sound, and it pairs perfectly with my G3X. B)

- The End -