Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d Strange Channel problem

I have an unusual and annoying problem with the M20d, two things going wrong, the first happens nearly every night..

Set all up, go to sound check, the guitar (Acoustic Takamine with Line6 XD-v75 wireless system) turns on and nothing or very little sound signal coming thru for 10-15 seconds then "whompf" up to the volume it should be, occasional dropouts thru the night (on mixer not wireless). Guitar and wirless both been checked many times for faults, nothing found to be wrong with either.

Next problem happened once and totally confused me..

Same guitar and wireless setup going into XLR channel on M20d, no sound, wireless working fine, channel getting signal, fader lights on M20d going up and down showing signal, main mix strip going up and down showing signal, nothing coming out of speakers! all other channels working fine, sound coming out FOH.

I moved the guitar to another XLR channel, same problem, used another wireless pack and receiver, same problem, put the guitar on a wire to the M20d, same problem, all gates, comps, FX 's etc. turned off and guitar gives none of these problems thru any other mixer..

Does the M20d just not like Takamine acoustic guitars? Any suggestions would be great as the guitarist whines at me every night and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks

The last piece in the puzzle to try swapping is the guitar itself, which is common to both situations. I agree it's unlikely to be the problem, but you have to eliminate it to be completely sure.

And you have signal showing on the fader for the guitar channel? It isn't muted?

Troubleshooting over the 'net is almost impossible, but we can ask questions.

We used another guitar on the channel, same issue with the boot up thing, we've used 2 different cables, one XLR one Jack both give same problem. I've also tried 2 diferent XLR cables from the receiver. The wierd part of it is that the channel view and the master show signal (on a conventional mixer this would be the equivelant of bot the LED strip for the channel and the LED strip for the master out going up and down with the music) but nothing comes out of the mixer for 10-15 seconds. The best description is imagine your playing the guitar and you can see everything going thru the mixer but you don't plug the speakers in for the first 10 seconds.. however, plug a bass direct in or my gretsch and they come straight thru?? could it be something to do with the mixer adjusting to the pickup level? this shouldn't be as that channel has always been for the Acoustic direct. Also, quick one, would naming the channel be an issue do you think, that channel has always been tagged "Takamine" I know it sounds mental but do you think that word causes an issue in the software?? 

Ordered the XD-AD8 Antenna Distribution Unit - seemed the next logical step to ruling out the problem.. YES! 100% problem solved, no dropout anywhere on either of the 7 receivers, no problems at all, I know it's £450 but if it works then it's worth it. Sorted, could not be happier! :-)

• 3 years later...

I had the same issue with my MD20 and I’ve been troubleshooting it forever. I though it was my wireless receivers. I changed cables, handheld transmitters, and swapped channels. Two of them sound like there is a gate. When speaking into the mics they are very quiet until you yell loud in them and then they blhannel opens up and it’s fine for the time being. It may not happens again for a few minutes or an hour and maybe not even the next time you use them. You never know when it’s going to malfunction but it’s often. What can I do to fix this???

On 1/17/2015 at 11:49 AM, actdmusic said:

Only with the guitar? Did you try other sources? 

Some M20ds have problems with ground wiring causing some outputs and inputs to drop signal... 

It's an easy fix! 

So what's the fix?  Mine does this on two channels.  Both are handheld wireless channels.  Can you help me with the fix?  What do I need to do?

If you're in the UK message me and I'll do what I can to help. I had a few M20ds as rental items and had to learn how they worked pretty quickly. Pretty much all of them have the same problem with grounding issues.

As a temporary fix, and this is not good practice before anyone goes off the deep end, take the Master volume all the way down, then take the gain flat out momentarily on the offending channel. This will sometimes get you through a gig. I take no responsibility for you blowing something if you don't turn the master down!!!