Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dead Pinch Harmonics

spawn2031

Hey guys quick question about how effects and EQs can negatively effect pinch harmonics.  I have 3 almost identical guitars.  All 3 of them I can get great harmonics outside of my 500x.  On two of them I can get those same Harmonics with the 500x, one of them they sound super dead and I have a super hard time even getting them.  Could there be something in the tone setup that could be effecting just this one guitar?

There's tons of variables that can affect pinch harmonics.

Just on the guitar side of things: old strings, pickups, bridge, tremolo system, tremolo block, pick shape, pick material, pinching technique.

On the EQ side of things, if there's an imbalance between low and high frequencies (more low than high), that could make the harmonics sound dead. Generally speaking, depending on the amp, increasing presence might give you more, but at the expense of starting to sound harsh, ice-picky, and possibly even fizzy. Adding a bit of distortion and/or compression before the amp might help also.

Try different cabs and mics. Some provide noticeably more dynamics than others.

Certain noise gate settings can really kill harmonics as well.

But if you only have problems with one guitar, it must be something with that, or some weird dynamic between it and the 500x. Most likely something with the pickups on that guitar.

harmonics happen on the guitar. you either hit them or you don't. it has nothing to do with the amp and the fx. 

Of course, as said above -- some things can enhance them. 

I don't know of anything that will actually make them less apparent, other than a noise gate and possibly a poorly set compressor. 

You make'um noise with stringy things. Big boomie boom come out'um big box'um. 

• Upvote 1

harmonics happen on the guitar. you either hit them or you don't. it has nothing to do with the amp and the fx. 

Of course, as said above -- some things can enhance them. 

I don't know of anything that will actually make them less apparent, other than a noise gate and possibly a poorly set compressor. 

You make'um noise with stringy things. Big boomie boom come out'um big box'um. 

Harmonics may happen on the guitar, just like any note played on a guitar, but they still depend on the amp and whatever else the signal is going through. So if you take all high end above say 1KHz away, chances are, you're not going to get a very desirable result for harmonics.

If it works on two guitars and not the other, then that one guitar is not interacting with the HD500 the same as the others. The ONLY thing I can think of are the pickups and the input impedance of the HD500. Trying changing that. Higher impedance brighter sound usually, so I'd go that route first.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I will certainly look into uping the impedance and see what happens there.  As far as the pickups, All are EMG 81/85 except for the guitar in questions.  It uses an 81 in the bridge and a sustaniac in the neck.  The actual guitar is a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 if anyone cared to look for anything else that could be an issue on the guitar end of things.

Hmm. Does the guitar in question sound correct in every other way except for pinch harmonics?

If not (or maybe even if it does), then, possible dead/weak battery? Possible wiring problem? Pehaps there was some poor soldering joints to begin with, and over time a solder joint cracked/came loose (lots of vibrations going on in guitars)? I know also that for me, I am not gentle with my guitars.

Other stuff: is the action too low causing some or all of the strings to be close enough to the frets to deaden any harmonics, and is a warped neck contributing to this? Are the pickups too close to the strings? If they are, it can kill sustain.