Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD interface volume control on MacBook

jhsg

Hi everyone, 

I have just started using a POD HD as an audio interface and have a minor but annoying problem. 

My setup is. Guitar ---- Amp  ---- Rack mounted cab sim (torpedo Live) ---- Pod HD via SPDIF ---- Macbook via USB. I also have the monitors connected to the unbalanced outputs on the Pod. 

The problem I have in the simplest terms is I have lost the ability to control volume using my macbook. Where previously when I was using a MOTU Track16 audio interface I could hit the volume up / down and control the overall master output volume for things like logic, iTunes and quicktime player, I now hit the volume buttons and nothing happens forcing me to use the individual volume controls in iTunes or Logic (or what ever other program I am using. Or I need to use the master volume on the pod to control the overall volume. 

Is there a way to connect my mac volume control so it works as it did previously? Ideally I want to be able to set the master volume on the POD to a maximum and then tweak as required using the macbook's volume control. 

Any assistance would be much appreciated. The only other option I am considering is running the POD back into my Track16 audio interface so I can control volume which isn't ideal as I don't want to risk latency by running it through unnecessary hardware.

Cheers,

John   

no, the pod controls the volume.

but if you're going out from the pod via spdif then you must be going into another interface...

you could always plug the speakers into that interface and use the other interface as your primary... this may change things.

you can still use the pod USB for editing etc.

Hi Zap 

To clarify, I am going in to the Pod from the cab sim (torpedo) using SPDIF. The output to my Mac is via USB. 

What I am probably going to do is use the interface (MOTU Track 16) between the POD and monitors. This way I will be able to assign the POD to a channel and the Mac output to another channel and have individual controls through the one unit. The only concern I have is some latency but the track16 can run direct / bypass to the monitors so it hopefully won't be too much of a problem. Does anyone else run this setup with an interface connecting up the pod and Mac? does it cause any latency problems? 

The other benefit in running the track16 interface is the mic preamps are much better than the pod. 

Cheers, 

John