Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning amp drive to a footswitch instead of expression?

clay-man

So I want to switch between clean and distorted on the amp with a big muff pushing the distorted tone, it makes it sound a lot fuller.

Is there a way to switch between 2 drive levels via a footswitch? I tried just using a volume pedal to clean up a dirty amp but the drive dialed in low sounds 100 times better than a volume peddle quieting up a dirty amp. It sounds very thin and has no body.

I don't want to use an expression pedal because I want to simplify the switch. Is this possible?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but here's my 2cents

there are 3 ways to clean the sound, either by lowering the guitar volume, or pedal volume, or lowering the drive on the amp. If you've got a JTV, you can do the 3 options either on the guitar, or on the expression pedal.

It seems you're trying to lower the volume on the pedal to clean up the sound and would like to just lower the drive! You can assign the drive to the expression pedal instead of volume. Just navigate the arrow and put it on the amp, double click "MOVE" and you'll the the assign screen. Select "DRIVE" on the PARAMETER, select the desired controller, like EXP pedal 1 or 2, and then select the min and max value you want! Voilá! 

If you have a JTV you can do the same thing but set the JTV volume or tone knob as the controller.

You can't set a parameter like DRIVE to a footswitch, but I have an idea for you to do that! I'm assuming it's a single amp preset...

on the AMP block, put 2 amp, exactly the same, but with different drive levels as you want them to be (clean and distorted). Have one of the amps ON and the other OFF. Now press and hold ENTER and assign the footswitch you want, and do the same to the other amp. This way, that footswitch will turn ON and OFF both amps at the same time, so you'll either have a clean or distorted one working at one time!

Hope these directions were clear enough...let me know!

cheers

Basically I'm asking if I can switch between 2 different amp drives with a foot switch instead of the expression pedal. I'm guessing there's no way.

Using volume control just makes the clean tone sound thin so right now I have the expression pedal control the drive of an amp with the toe switch turning on the big muff pi.

I'm surprised you can't assign the FS switches to these parameters.

Basically I'm asking if I can switch between 2 different amp drives with a foot switch instead of the expression pedal. I'm guessing there's no way.

Using volume control just makes the clean tone sound thin so right now I have the expression pedal control the drive of an amp with the toe switch turning on the big muff pi.

I'm surprised you can't assign the FS switches to these parameters.

try using dual amps? same amp and settings except for the drive level. 1 has higher drive level and 1 for lower drive. use FS to toggle between the 2 amps.

• Upvote 2

Well, you could use a slightly modified conventional SPST footswitch and plug it into the expression pedal jack....Assign the drive parameter to the expression and use your outboard footswitch to toggle the programmable min and max...add the whole tonestack and you have instant tone morph....two tones on one patch...Add FX Parms too...If you still need an expression pedal, you could add an additional DPDT Mode footswitch and toggle from a real expression pedal to an expression toggle...pretty simple to do...

I use this all the time and it is much faster than a patch change...The slight modification is adding a 10K resistor so the open switch isn't infinite ohms....

• Upvote 3

Well, you could use a slightly modified conventional SPST footswitch and plug it into the expression pedal jack....Assign the drive parameter to the expression and use your outboard footswitch to toggle the programmable min and max...add the whole tonestack and you have instant tone morph....two tones on one patch...Add FX Parms too...If you still need an expression pedal, you could add an additional DPDT Mode footswitch and toggle from a real expression pedal to an expression toggle...pretty simple to do...

I use this all the time and it is much faster than a patch change...The slight modification is adding a 10K resistor so the open switch isn't infinite ohms....

That's brilliant!

And if you didn't want to mod the switch itself, you could make a little adapter thingy with a 1/4" female TS jack that goes right to a 1/4" TS plug, with the 10K resistor between the tip and sleeve signal wires.... or use a keyboard sustain pedal (non-latching) to make a foot-based kill switch!

Whoa.....

• 3 weeks later...

Another idea is to put a volume pedal before and after the amp, both tied to the same footswitch.  Or a volume pedal and a compressor.  Or EQ and compressor.  Try different things.  Have one turn off with say, FS2, and have the other turn on with the same switch.  I did this for one of my patches. I put a volume pedal at(for example) 65% after my amp.  I put a compressor set for boost before the amp.  I set the footswitch to turn on the compressor, and turn off the volume pedal.  Boost going into the amp, and full volume instead of 65%.

.... Or you could just use two different presets with the only difference being the amp drive value. Single footswitch tap to change between them.

(A solution is a solution. You didn't mention that it needs to be elegant!)

That's a waste, but it's what I did regardless. I wanted to use FS1-8 instead of ABCD mode.