Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How 2 approximate Hotel California harmony with ur JTV+HD500

jandrio

This vid shows how 2 play the famous Hotel California harmonies with a JTV and the HD500, XLR'ed direct 2 PA.

The vid was recorded with a cheap handheld camera, which captured the ambient sound with poor sound quality.  
In order 2 isolate the JTV+HD500 ***STEREO*** sounds,  we recorded the two HD500 channels directly from the PA's mixing console during the show and  mixed them with the ambient sound from the hand held camera .

In the original studio version recordings,  Don Felder used a '59 Les Paul sunburst, plugged in2 a '50s Tweed Deluxe, a narrow-paneled model (probably a '55 or '56).  Joe Walsh used a Fender Tele thru a ’59 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp.  Both guitarists used no effects, just plugged the guitars straight in2 the amps.

The live guitar performance in this vid is intentionally slightly diverging from the original studio version and the patches r NOT an exact tone match, they r using the "Treadplate Pre" instead.  This particular amp model implements the harmony parts astonishingly well and also sits perfectly in the band mix.

There r two main patches used, one 4 Don Felder's solo (and harmony parts) and the second 4 Joe Walsh's parts.  There is also a third patch with a "B minor pentatonic" harmony small part on 0:58.

The "Smart Harmony" comes in (activated with FS2) on the last solo segment with variable scale and key (via the exp-2).
The harmony starts at 1:11 with a "B minor harmonic" scale 4 the first 2 chords (Bm+F#), then at 1:31 shifts 2 "A major" 4 the next 2 chords (A, E) and at 1:35 returns back 2 "B minor harmonic" 4 the rest of the chord progression.

All 3 patches r expected 2 be played with a v2.10 JTV connected thru VDI 2 a v2.31 HD500, XLR'ed direct 2 PA (2 channels). Set input1=variax, input2=same.

Feel free 2 download and experiment with all 3 patches used:

Don Felder parts and harmony (Lester pos 1 with the tone knob set at 100%):
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/814970/

Joe Walsh parts (T-Model pos 1 with the tone knob set at 73%):
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/814971/

B minor pentatonic harmony part (T-Model pos 1 with the tone knob set at 73%):
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/814972/

Download mp4 vid:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/kqmlc3cgk1fdtim/How_to_play_Hotel_California_harmony_with_a_JTV+HD500.mp4

Enjoy!
  • Upvote 4

• 3 months later...

i understand that it's the 3rd patch that gets more downloads instead of the 1st one, so just 2 clarify:

• this one must b downloaded first (Don Felder parts and harmonies).
  • the other two patches are based on the above, with the foll differences:
  • 2HC tmodel1 HarmMin is EXACTLY the same, but uses the T-model instead of the Lester (Joe Walsh parts).
  • the 3rd one 2HC Min Pentatonic is only for a very-very-very small lick and uses the T-model and the pentatonic minor scale.

pls check out the vid, it clearly describes where exactly each patch is used and with which scale-key.

Both guitarists used no effects, just plugged the guitars straight in2 the amps.

I can clearly hear heavy doses of phaser applied to the tone, all over the place, even on the acoustic parts!

only on the intro, i'm talkin' abt the elec parts....

btw it's not a phaser, it's a leslie.

they took a D.I. out of the console 'n a stereo Leslie, so that's how they got this swirly effect.

2 b more specific:

• the acoustic guitar in the intro is a takamine 12-string with a dearmond pickup.
  • they miked the acoustic 'n put that in the center of the mix.
  • then they took the pickup’s output 'n ran it though an echoplex + a leslie.
  • they miked that in stereo so it has this left-->right kind of swirling, ethereal characteristic.
  • it’s blended in with the direct acoustic as well.

foll the abv points, u can easyly simulate the acoustic part with a jtv+hd500 as well...

btw it's not a phaser, it's a leslie.

they took a D.I. out of the console 'n a stereo Leslie, so that's how they got this swirly effect.

I'm pretty sure Joe Walsh is playing his outro solo through a phaser. 

Nice job with the harmonized solo, there's a few harmonizer glitches when you put the guitar alone, but within the band it's unnoticable.

• Upvote 1

Nice work! Makes me want a Variax. However I wont play this often requested tune with my trio unless something nice goes into the tip jar.

tks JTSC777 :)

play hotel with a trio band?

well yes, but the tip jar must weight 5 times heavier, cause u will b playing 5 guitar parts with just urself, ur hd500 'n ur variax...

I'm pretty sure Joe Walsh is playing his outro solo through a phaser. 

Nice job with the harmonized solo, there's a few harmonizer glitches when you put the guitar alone, but within the band it's unnoticable.

echoflanger tks 4 the comment :)

well, opinions diverge abt joe's signal chain on the studio recording of HC.

many people think he used the MXR Phase 90, other say he recorded with just his guitar+amp...

anyway, on the "provided joe's-patch", u can easily add the MXR90 (phaser/script phase) 'n check out the sound (u must deactivate the analog chorus)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...