Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Shortboard mkI and Valve mkI

I'm sorry if this question is answered somewhere, but after 45 minutes of searching I can't find it.  Why isn't the FBV Shortboard MkI listed in the compatibility chart here ?  Searching forums for "mki" brings up all the "mkii" mentions as well... thanks, Line 6!  :-/

I acquired a used Spider Valve (MkI), and I'm now shopping for foot controllers.  There is a MkI Shortboard on eBay for cheap (LED display not working) and I'd like to know if they will play nice together... but can't find any mention here.  I'd hate to buy it and then find it doesn't work with my amp.

Help would be appreciated!

Much better indeed.  I thank you, sir.

A follow up question:  the "bank up/down" switches on the FBV Shortboard simply allow me to move within the 9 banks already in the amp, yes?  In other words, they are not MORE saved tones, right?  I've already maxed out the 9x4 in the Valve.

The Pilot's Guide for my amp (the Valve Mk 1) does a decent job of explaining how the Shortboard will work, but is not really clear to me on this point.  It says

"the FBV Shortboard gives you 9 banks of 4 channels each.  Bank 1 is the same 4 memories you get from the Spider Valve front panel A,B,C,D buttons when no FBV is connected."

The wording there seems to imply some strange things.  Aren't ALL the banks the same as what's there without the FBV?

Well, my used shortboard arrived today, and before I get REALLY angry, I want to make sure what I'm seeing is correct.

a)  The "bank up/down" buttons seem to be for EDITING the patches only.  I was expecting to be able to switch - while onstage - between my #2A and #3A.  But when I hit the "bank up" button, the display reads "3A", but the sound stays #2A, with the A light flashing as if I'm going to save patch #2A to the 3A slot.  Fine... but completely useless for live gigs, which is the whole point of a foot controller.  Is this really the designed behavior?  If so, grrrr.  Why waste space on a floor pedal for EDITING functions?  Unless this unit is malfunctioning.

b)  According to the manual, there should be a toe switch of some kind to toggle the pedal from volume to wah.  I pushed on that thing as hard as I could and nothing happened.  I got volume, no wah.  Is my unit broken, or am I misunderstanding something?

The bank up/down works, but you then need to select the patch (A/B/C/D) in that bank to switch to it.  This allows you to got to any new bank while continuing to play your first-chosen patch, then change to that new patch when ready.

The toe switch is very hard to engage on new FBVs, you  need to stand up and have shoes one, too.  As you got an older used model, its possible the switch is not working.

• Upvote 1

Holy crap thank you!  I never would have figured out that "bank up THEN pick a letter" thing.  It's even BETTER than I thought it would be.

And yes, I just needed to really STOMP on the toe of the pedal to get it to switch.

Thanks a million for your help!