Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13 in loop of amp

rwinking

First of all, is it me or something? This is the strangest forum for me. I belong to a couple of others like the GSP 1101, etc. and people are like super helpful. I notice that things get ignored a lot on here....not just mine. Is there a better forum for this stuff?

My question is a buzz in the FX loop of my amp using 4CM. I have tried the M13 in two different amps with the same buzz. When I run it direct into the input there is no buzz. I have used different cables and different ams. So it has to be something with the M13 and 4CM.

Any takers?

I had the exact same problem until last week (4cable method into FX loop making a lot of noise) and it turned out to be a cable that was causing my problem. I went and dropped $250 on a new vocal harmonizer, thinking that was the problem before I found the real culprit. Now my M13 is quiet as a mouse in the loop. I know you said you checked the cables, but how thorough were you? I would strongly recommend looking really closely at that again. Also, is the M13 the only pedal between you and the amp or do you have others in the chain? Isolating the M13 with clean cables would be my second suggestion. What amp are you using? Does it have a ground lift switch?

I am using a Randall RM50. The loop has been modded and it is OK. I had the same problem using the M13 in the loop of another amp. I think I fixed it though. I didn't realize that I could flip the wall wart of the M13. that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for responding!

rick

• 2 weeks later...

You're very welcome for the response Rick and I hope that someone reading this thread in future will benefit from our pain and suffering. LOL. I'm not sure what you did to fix it though. You flipped the wall wart of the M13? I didn't even know it had a wall wart that could be flipped. LOL What was the solution that worked for you?

The problem is not solved now. I thought I had solved it when I flipped the wall wart or more appropriately, theplug on the power supply. That seemed to do the trick. However i was using a different amp's FX loop. So now the hum is back. I did check out my cords and bought a Pedal Snake, which is really a grea thing for the M13....4CM with one line!

Anyway, it seems it might be in the amp. However, it is possible that the amp just doesn't :like" the M13. A friend on another forum had an issue with his RM50 and the M13. I am still trying things. Hopefully it is something in the amos FX loop as I really like the M13.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue with my rig .... I use the M13 in the effects loop of my amp carvin X100B reissue. turns out what was causing the the noise was a ground loop that only occurred using the 4 cable method. I purchased a Behringer Hum Destroyer for 25.00 ran it on the return side of the loop out of the m13 going to the amp and the hum is gone . So a 25.00 hum destroyer and a 6 inch patch cable solved the issue for me.

• Upvote 1

First of all, is it me or something? This is the strangest forum for me. I belong to a couple of others like the GSP 1101, etc. and people are like super helpful. I notice that things get ignored a lot on here....not just mine. Is there a better forum for this stuff?

My question is a buzz in the FX loop of my amp using 4CM. I have tried the M13 in two different amps with the same buzz. When I run it direct into the input there is no buzz. I have used different cables and different ams. So it has to be something with the M13 and 4CM.

Any takers?

I have had zero noise problems doing the 4 cable method using my M13 with the following amps

Egnater Tweaker

Marshall JCM800 model 4010

Fender BDRI

Fender HRDLXiii

probably a couple of others

I use all Mogami and Monster cables

you cannot hope to use the M13 with such complicated routing unless you have very very good cables period.

Its always a cable and the way I check them is this

buy a new one

expensive yes but worth

every penny to a working pro player.

as far as being ignored it may feel that way but no this is the best place for all things Line 6

a lot of these guys including myself are busy and only get on here every few weeks months

I use a lot of other gear and dont discuss it much here

I and everyone else here try to help all that we can.

Good Luck with your playing!

Although I dont use it much anymore I love my M13 and recorded an entire album with it

Follys Pool- Out Of A Dream. In the studio the M13 is a huge time saver with great not good tones if you know what you are doing!

• 1 month later...

It was not the patch cords. It was a ground loop. I spoke with others who have had the issue with certain amps. Usually they are high end amps, Engles, PRS, JF's. I spoke with a designer and he said some have it, some don't. The way I got around it was to put  an ART CoolPro switch between the FX return and the amp and flip the ground. I also tried my GSP1101 in the amp and got the same ground loop and the fix worked on it too.

• Upvote 1