Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seems theres something on the way for guitarists at NAMM

Dshow

The HD-ness is in the fact that Firehawk runs the HD amp models, although only one amp/path in a preset.

It supports 128 on-board presets arranged in the usual 32 banks of 4. However, using the mobile app/editor you have access to an unlimited number of 'cloud' presets that can be played instantly. Unlike the current Customtone library for the POD HD, where you must individually download and transfer a tone to audition in the Pod, the Firehawk library presets are immediately available for selection. You can select them not only via the results of a Tone Search, but each user also has their personal cloud-based My Tones library. You can store an unlimited number of favourite tones there and have instant access to them all whenever you have the mobile app running. So the device-based limit of 128 only applies when you are not running the mobile app.

Users are also able to publish tones to the cloud so, over time, a cloud based library of Firehawk HD-amp tones will grow.

so, using only 1 amp makes the wirless (bluetooth?) presets switching not 2 be extremely sluggish via the iOS/Android app?
does not make sense, does it?
except if the hd amps do not have all those hd-deep-edit params and r exposing only xt-like controls.

I noticed the Firehawk has 5 FS too.  I love that since I often run out of FS and don't always want to use the FS1-8 configuration.  I wonder if its possible in a firmware update to allow the user to disable the looper (which I never use anyways) and get a fifth FS instead? 

• Upvote 1

I think the cloud-based tone auditioning will be too sluggish for live use. For live playing live you still want to prepare the Firehawk device with your on board set of 128 presets. Recalling these will be virtually instantaneous as usual. In any situation where you are downloading a tone from the cloud/internet to a device (iOS or PC/Mac), whether via Bluetooth or usb, there will inevitably be a delay that renders it impractical for switching presets mid-song.

Sorry, guys. It's like herding cats around here today, for obvious reasons.

POD HD 2.6

• Global EQ—Three fully parametric bands plus low and high cut filters, available from an additional Setup menu page; we had to do quite a bit of clever optimization to fit Global EQ, and you might see a tiny bit of extra DSP for other blocks (a few percent perhaps)
  • Metal Pack ($49)—Peavey 5150 (block logo), Bogner Shiva, Remastered JCM800 (model 2204), plus favorite POD Farm models Insane, Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone
  • Vintage Pack ($49)—Orange OR-80, Roland JC-120, Fender Champ (Tweed), VOX AC30 Fawn Normal, VOX AC30 Fawn Bright, JC-120 cab, Fender Champ cab, plus POD Farm Acoustic
  • Bass Pack ($29)—Ampeg SVT Normal, Ampeg SVT Bright, Gallien-Kruger 800RB, SVT 8x10 cab, SVT 410 HLF cab
  • Fully Loaded ($99)—All three packs

We're hoping to have 2.6 available by the end of March for HD500X and HD Pro X, with support for HD500, HD Pro, and HD (Bean) shortly thereafter.

I just want to say Thank You Dear Lord and Line 6!

This is awesome!

***From a previous post earlier*** I was wrong! And I don't mind admitting I am wrong when Line 6 does such an amazing release like this!

Thank you for hearing the people! Can't wait to hear the remastered JCM 800 and thanks for the addition of the Bass Pack.

Are these new BASS amp modellers or model from the XT pro line?

• Upvote 1

dont think it's getting the model pack models...

migt be an option for them as well though? not sure... most likely not right way though.

so.....no effects packs yet? 

And the Firehawk gets ALL of the HD models (pretty much)? 

and what happens when someone designs a patch and gives the patch to someone that does not have the same "pack". 

You may want to consider adding a spot on Customtone for people to notate what bonus packs were used. 

Also, these pack purchases, are they mine to keep forever so I can install on a future machine I buy or install on a backup machine that I already own - 

or are they assigned to the individual pod (by serial) so that a future owner of each unit can get the same bonus packs. 

so, using only 1 amp makes the wirless (bluetooth?) presets switching not 2 be extremely sluggish via the iOS/Android app?

No massive MIDI mapping, one controller assignment (vs. HD's 52!), and 128 presets (vs. HD's 512) is enough to get Bluetooth syncing decently fast.

and what happens when someone designs a patch and gives the patch to someone that does not have the same "pack". 

You may want to consider adding a spot on Customtone for people to notate what bonus packs were used. 

Also, these pack purchases, are they mine to keep forever so I can install on a future machine I buy or install on a backup machine that I already own - 

or are they assigned to the individual pod (by serial) so that a future owner of each unit can get the same bonus packs. 

What happens with the XT and in POD Farm is that you're given a warning message if you try to load a tone that using stuff from model packs you don't own, and IIRC, I believe the tone is loaded with substituted items in those blocks.

As far as how the licensing works, DI said they're still figuring it out. On the XT, the license for the model stays with the account of the purchase who bought them unless they give the license to someone else. There's a method to transfer the packs between different devices, in other words. I imagine they'll come up with something similar.

I just want to say Thank You Dear Lord and Line 6!

This is awesome!

***From a previous post earlier*** I was wrong! And I don't mind admitting I am wrong when Line 6 does such an amazing release like this!

Thank you for hearing the people! Can't wait to hear the remastered JCM 800 and thanks for the addition of the Bass Pack.

Are these new BASS amp modellers or model from the XT pro line?

DI can correct me if I'm wrong, but a previous post said unless it explicitly said it was from POD Farm then the models are "at least HD." So it looks like those three bass amps should fall under the "at least HD" heading.

What happens with the XT and in POD Farm is that you're given a warning message if you try to load a tone that using stuff from model packs you don't own, and IIRC, I believe the tone is loaded with substituted items in those blocks.

As far as how the licensing works, DI said they're still figuring it out. On the XT, the license for the model stays with the account of the purchase who bought them unless they give the license to someone else. There's a method to transfer the packs between different devices, in other words. I imagine they'll come up with something similar.

also, wondering if I'm going to have to pay for two sets of model packs for my 500X which is my main board for live work and my older 500, which is a backup. I need them to have the same patches on both....don't really want to spend $200 on model packs, though.

I wonder if there will be a future Firehawk Plus that would include the Line 6 Link. I use my Pod HD500 with my JTV and 2 L3m's via the Line 6 Link. I would love to have ios compatibility to edit at a sound check, but I use the different speaker configurations on the L3m's in all my patches called up via the Line 6 Link.

One could interpret the 'at least HD' comment earlier as meaning that Line 6 is working on some Super HD Pod successor and the new models are already made to support it while stilling the hunger of current Pod HD users as model packs. I could see the FireHamk concept in an expanded form for 'Pro' users coming later this year. I truly like whatt they put out for the show and especially their on-going support of the existing Pod customer base - a very appreciated surprise!

I thought the only thing everyone wanted in the POD HD was an IR loader... or some shaper for the built in ones  :huh:  

Well, it's been stated multiple times that the HD line will never load third party IRs. As far as a "shaper", isn't that what cab deep editing controls do?

• Upvote 1

I think the cloud-based tone auditioning will be too sluggish for live use. For live playing live you still want to prepare the Firehawk device with your on board set of 128 presets. Recalling these will be virtually instantaneous as usual. In any situation where you are downloading a tone from the cloud/internet to a device (iOS or PC/Mac), whether via Bluetooth or usb, there will inevitably be a delay that renders it impractical for switching presets mid-song.

MobilePOD has that now (auditioning tones from CustomTone). It works great. I wouldn't use MobilePOD live due to sound quality.

Think about it: getting tones from the clud (ie CustomTone) is just downloading a bunch of parameters to the device. Tiny amount of data to download. I mean, I wouldn't switch to my lead tone via a download, but this is quite easy.

I agree that the jc-120 is a great addition, but sticking it in the "vintage" amp pack is a lame-@ss way of squeezing and extra 50 bucks out of the primary community that was clamoring for it; the Metal players.

It absolutely should be included in the metal pack and taken out of the vintage, because there's nothing "vintage" about the way that amp sounds. The people who've been begging for that amp are the same guys begging for the 5150 and a Boogie MKIIC+. No one in the vintage amp community wants that amp, and quite frankly I see that as a kick in the nuts.

Digital_Igloo, if you're listening dude, fix that ASAP. Soaking your target audience like that is down right insulting.

• Downvote 4

I have never played metal in my life, and don't intend to start. My first real amp 20 years ago was the JC-55, and I have wanted a JC-120 ever since. I certainly call it vintage.

Digital_Igloo, if you're listening - please don't change this. It would be a kick in the nuts to have to buy the whole metal pack, which I would never use, just to get this one vintage amp.

(speaking for one in the vintage community)

• Upvote 3

lol, I'll assume you're being facetious there with the Hetfield remark; James Hetfield - frontman of Metallica, and one of the biggest proponents of the jc-120 in the metal world.

I'll concede I don't spend my every waking moment on this forum, but I can't recall a conversation where that amp was in a list with something like a fender champ, deluxe, or an AC30.

It's almost always in a list of metal amps that people wish was in the POD. So while I respect your childhood love for things Roland JC, it's a big one in the metal community dude, as I'm sure many who play the metalz in this thread will contest.

• Upvote 1

And the guys in marketing have to know this. I don't need more "vintage" amps from my POD; it's got plenty already, but I could use the amps in the metal pack, and JUST the JC-120, so stick it in the metal pack as well, or, make it an amp your can purchase on its own. I don't need/want to spend an extra 50 bucks for a single model, and I know I'm not alone.

Yes, I was being facetious. Thanks for taking it well.

I don't want to get into a debate here; the only purpose of my first post was to point out that it's generally incorrect to express a personal opinion as being representative of a group (in this case vintage players and your claim that 'no one in the vintage community wants that amp').

I appreciate the enlightenment that the JC-120 is a well used amp in metal. I truly didn't know that and wouldn't have expected it. After all, the 'JC' stands for Jazz Chorus. This amp is well known (arguably better known?) as one of the cleanest amps of all time, and most of the people I have heard clamouring for it want a pristine clean tone. That's not what I think of when I think of metal.

Peace! Now, since I'm still awake I guess I should continue to browse this forum!

• Upvote 3

Yeah, but the fact that it was/is solidstate, and damn "cold" sounding (even/not-warm/however you want to describe it) didn't go over as well with classic tube enthusiasts as well as it has with metal heads who LOVE that evenness and super-cleanness of the amp.

that super-cleanness is what metalheads love about it, because if they're going clean, they want the cleanest frickin' clean possible, and nothing does clean (and relatively flat) better than the JC-120!

It makes the heaviness THAT MUCH MORE HEAVY by contrast! High gain sounds ULTRA high-gain when you go from jc-120 clean to high gain! :-D

• Upvote 1

So, any Line6ers want to reassure me that this announcement does not signal the deprecation of L6 Link? A pedalboard that costs $500 and has VDI but not L6L is worrying.

First, the street price on the Firehawk FX is $449, not $500, but rest assured, L6 Link is alive and well.

The Firehawk isn't really meant to be a successor to the HD line. It's more like it's cousin. Also, remember, this is only the beginning of 2015. Winter NAMM is one trade show.

• Upvote 1

First, the street price on the Firehawk FX is $449, not $500, but rest assured, L6 Link is alive and well.

The Firehawk isn't really meant to be a successor to the HD line. It's more like it's cousin. Also, remember, this is only the beginning of 2015. Winter NAMM is one trade show.

I don't want a cousin! I want a frikkin' bad @ss new addition to my Dream Rig! Where is that? This new budget Yamaha Pacifica Variax? Is that my new Dream Rig addition? 

Where is the attention to the Flagship line? Where's the new DT? 

No more "cloud" devices! Gimme some good high end and quality gear.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the jc-120 is a great addition, but sticking it in the "vintage" amp pack is a lame-@ss way of squeezing and extra 50 bucks out of the primary community that was clamoring for it; the Metal players.

It absolutely should be included in the metal pack and taken out of the vintage, because there's nothing "vintage" about the way that amp sounds. The people who've been begging for that amp are the same guys begging for the 5150 and a Boogie MKIIC+. No one in the vintage amp community wants that amp, and quite frankly I see that as a kick in the nuts.

Digital_Igloo, if you're listening dude, fix that ASAP. Soaking your target audience like that is down right insulting.

Insulting? :( Sorry, I guess. Sure—a few metal guys use the JC-120. It's used as a Jazz amp more often. It was designed as a Jazz amp, in 1975, before "metal" was even a widely known term. "Metal" and "Vintage" don't really mean anything; we just needed vaguely descriptive names.

/worked at Roland for five years

• Upvote 2

uhm... JC = jazz chorus... it's intended audience.. i know that it's been hijacked by many genres...

but it had to be somewhere... and one side of the aisle was gonna complain....

besides... you had to balance the packs... which amp would you have given to the vintage pack from the metal pack to replace it?

uhm... JC = jazz chorus... it's intended audience.. i know that it's been hijacked by many genres...

but it had to be somewhere... and one side of the aisle was gonna complain....

besides... you had to balance the packs... which amp would you have given to the vintage pack from the metal pack to replace it?

I'd hate to be in charge of marketing for anything today. The instant gratification generation is never happy with anything. Half of them will never be satisfied until L6's product line reads like a Chinese takeout menu....7000 things to choose from, and nothing more than 8 bucks.

• Upvote 1