Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seems theres something on the way for guitarists at NAMM

Dshow

I'd hate to be in charge of marketing for anything today. The instant gratification generation is never happy with anything. Half of them will never be satisfied until L6's product line reads like a Chinese takeout menu....7000 things to choose from, and nothing more than 8 bucks.

Good Point! Though, some of us don't want 7K options for $8. I just paid $3K for the baddest Strat I have ever played in my life! Why? Cause it was bad @ss! Give me a few things done extremely well, and I along with others would gladly come out of pocket for it!

• Upvote 1

I guess Line 6 should ship new 500x with all the packs included. That was done with the elven rack expension pack and I find it quite fair.

Users who have already a POD HD could buy the extension Pack and those who buy new, get some extra. I would thinkt to upgrade from HD500 to the HD500x then.

Also I find it better to offer just one Bundle with all included for a reasonable price not different Bundles. I see people complain already because half of the patches from custom tone won't work for them, because the for ex. got only the vintage pack.

and what happens when someone designs a patch and gives the patch to someone that does not have the same "pack". 

You may want to consider adding a spot on Customtone for people to notate what bonus packs were used. 

pls correct me if i'm wrong, but this was standard practice on xt custome tone patches....

Edit: confirmed, attaching screen..

post-1403107-0-34499000-1422009805_thumb.jpg

This NAMM sounds good to me. Nice to see a Variax at a more affordable price (now I can consider to try to play one of them and see if it is comfortable). Quite curious about Firehawk FX too. If there will ever be a smaller (for dimensions and cost) and lightweight version in the future, I should really consider buying one as a backup of my POD HD500X (for home recording and rehearsal). 

But the really good news is the POD firmware update, really happy! A bit less happy when I found out we have to wait until April (2 months of GAS are a torture), but it's ok.

The global eq will be quite useful: often when I use different real cabs I have to change a lot of eq parameters to adapt the patch (sometimes during the soundcheck which is really painful). Hopefully this add will simplify and accelerate this process (but PLEASE no percentage but frequencies)!

The additional metal amp pack is really interesting, finally the peavey 5150 and the Bogner Shiva, good choice! I read the discussion about the JC-120 and I admit that should be nice to have the wonderful JC-120 clean in the metal amp pack, but it is true that this is a vintage amp widely used and designed for jazz. What about selling the amps individually as well as in packs? Could be a solution and an opportunity.

Going back to the firmware update... Do you think there will be some improvement at noise gates fx? Actually they are quite weak, do not suppress feedback and sometimes they kill sustain too.

Going back to the firmware update... Do you think there will be some improvement at noise gates fx? Actually they are quite weak, do not suppress feedback and sometimes they kill sustain too.

Many "real" noise gates have the same issues especially when using massive amounts of gain, some better than others, The best noise Gate out there is the ISP line. ISP was a comapny started by the origianl founder of Rocktron who was the father of noise gates/reduction.

No massive MIDI mapping, one controller assignment (vs. HD's 52!), and 128 presets (vs. HD's 512) is enough to get Bluetooth syncing decently fast.

"one controller assignment" means that ONLY ONE PARAM CAN B ASSIGNED 2 ONLY ONE EXP1/EXP2VARIAX VOL/VARIAX TONE?

absolutely pleased as punch to be getting the extra Fender model - love Fender amps.

also really cool to be getting a newer version of the JCM 800 ( hopefully it'll be much more usable than the current one - JCM is the only "high gain" amp that I really love ( Mesa & Soldano are OK but not my thing really )

not sure why we are getting 2 new Vox models (as opposed to say a Matchless or Buddah Twin, for example - really loved those 2 on my old Flextone 3 amp), but I really love that Vox sound too so all's good.

lastly, an Orange amp - waaay cool. Loving that a lot.

Actually finally - the Yamaha Variax has peaked my interest too - not sure what the retail price will be in pounds sterling ( proper BRITISH money (lol) - but hopefully it'll finally be in a price range that appeals to my pocket.

• Upvote 1

A few questions for DI:

Is the good old Variax Bass still supported in the FireHawk FX? What about older Variax guitars? If so, do you think it will be supported in the future POD HD500X successor?

Don't know yet; the team's still working out the details. Like AMPLIFi, Firehawk doesn't have any bass amp models, so support for Variax bass might raise some eyebrows.

"one controller assignment" means that ONLY ONE PARAM CAN B ASSIGNED 2 ONLY ONE EXP1/EXP2VARIAX VOL/VARIAX TONE?

Currently, Variax Volume and Variax Tone can't be used as controllers in Firehawk, but I'd love for that to change. That was my pet feature in POD HD. Instant Matt Bellamy.

• Upvote 1

No wireless VDI/Variax?  Is there a way to get from the Variax VDI output to the Firehawk VDI input wirelessly?

I use a combination of acoustic and electric guitar sounds and have a way old variax and way old podxtlive that when I click the presets it changes both the amp and the Variax model.

I keep hoping there will be the possibility of doing that wirelessly.

Does that make sense?

It's awesome that the Firehawk has a VDI input.

It's awesome that the software lets you specify variax model.

Now if there were just a wireless unit that would send/receive VDI signal...

Ok so the 5150 tease during Christmas was a bit of a letdown for me personally. No-one mentioned the fact that it was going to be "part"

of model pack that most assumed would never happen, let alone a huge delay in release, and thought it would be just included in the next

firmware update, ok fine, fair enough. 4 - 5 years later, here they are. :huh: The part I can't understand is, why is the clean amps restricted

to the vintage pack ? metal players need clean amps too. Can't we all at-least get a free clean/acoustic amp ? Mixed emotions about all this.

Considering all packs ($100) is around %20 of the cost of an entire new HD500X, hardware and all, is it wise to spend so much on these ?

The only thing I don't have mixed emotions on, is the global EQ, I'm happy bout that, even if the Db/Hz issue wasn't fixed.

The global eq will be quite useful: often when I use different real cabs I have to change a lot of eq parameters to adapt the patch (sometimes during the soundcheck which is really painful). Hopefully this add will simplify and accelerate this process (but PLEASE no percentage but frequencies)!

Just recently I was going to buy an eq stomp to be connected in the loop of the POD. Maybe I should wait the new firmware, even though I do not know if the changes on EQ will be so quickly as to act on a stomp. :unsure:

Just recently I was going to buy an eq stomp to be connected in the loop of the POD. Maybe I should wait the new firmware, even though I do not know if the changes on EQ will be so quickly as to act on a stomp. :unsure:

I believe the global EQ is a 3 band parametric EQ with high and low pass and is separate from your patch EQ modules.  It is basically applied to the output after your complete signal processing so you can make changes to suit the particular venue or environment you are playing at without changing each patch.  It stays on all the time unless it has a bypass function but that would mean adding another FS so probably not.

Don't know yet; the team's still working out the details. Like AMPLIFi, Firehawk doesn't have any bass amp models, so support for Variax bass might raise some eyebrows.

Thank you very much for your kind response. I thought I had read somewhere that the Firehawk will include 50 HD amps: the same 29 HD amplifiers HD500 already has, in addition to those included in the three new model packs.

"Choose from over 200 legendary amps and effects—including 50 HD models—":

http://line6.com/firehawk-fx-multi-effects-pedal/

Now I can see the specs says: "29 HD Amp Models, 25 HD Effects Models" (not 50 HD amps)

http://line6.com/firehawk-fx-multi-effects-pedal/specs/

But still do not understand why there´s no bass amp, if they are the same 29 HD amps models... so, the ampeg has been replaced with something else? The firehawk is not eligible to receive the new model packs in the future?

If Firehawk has no bass amps, then its not for me. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the arrival of the new model pack for bass, the JC-120, the new AC-30, and all that stuff for the HD series, so I can only congratulate the whole team for a job well done, and continue patiently waiting for the exciting news that you have for us throughout the year.

Although I confess I burn with desire to see how the next generation flagship units could be.

I also wonder if Line 6 will want to maintain the POD brand, or move on to something else. Personally I found ideal if the POD brand were reserved for high-end units, clearly differentiated from domestic lines (amplifi, firehawk)

The idea of using mobile devices for editing sounds good, but I think the bluetooth is very inefficient for this purpose. I would like to see a more reliable technology such as WIFI implemented in future PODs, but also the possibility of using the USB cable for editing with an iPad, like the Yamaha DTX app for example.

Or even better, What about something like a HDMI out to use standard external PC monitors, preferably tactile models? That would be amazing. Do you think that something like this would be appropriate for a twenty-first-century technology, guys? At least it seems pretty logical to me: a floor unit without screen or a minimal one, where you add a monitor of your choice, no matter if it is a giant plasma TV, a tactile 12" monitor, or a tiny mobile device.

Nice dream, but I seriously think that Line 6 should go up a notch in terms of DSP power, and add the feature of reamping (both over USB and S/PDIF I/O) although the final cost of the PODs were increased, let's say, $100 more than now. I'm sure it would be equally successful in terms of sales, and the users would greatly appreciate that increased functionality.

Not a bad haul! I was worried they were going to have a bunch of insanely cool and expensive gear that would inspire terible G.A.S...

The new wireless is cool; I guess the tech isn't there yet to support wireless VDI yet, not a big deal there.

The Airwolf Firefox Firehawk pedal looks like it uses the newer HD500x footswitches.

Interesting idea; though it's curious they have somehow figured out how to combine the actual HD amp models with the older non-HD amp models into one unit, while calling all the models 'HD'. Not sure what is going on there.. .Cool idea, but not giving me any G.A.S so that's good! I still want to get another DT25, a pair of L3m's, and I want to upgrade to the 500x at some point too.. 

The model pack thing is not surprising.. New business model, Yamaha wants to make some money on the HD line; and for the price I'll certainly be jumping on that in a few months once they release the new firmware.

The idea that they collect free suggestions from IdeaScale in order to sell/market products is somewhat clever. Everyone who posted on IdeaScale prior to this point in time most likely assumed they were making requests for firmware / free upgrades, as opposed to being used in a pro-bono market research project....

Does leave a strange resonance with me, but nothing to get worked up over. Typically companies pay their own employees to come up with the creative solutions for new product development, but hey, Line6 has a strong user base with a built in desire to give feedback and notes to further develop and refine the products they love and use on a regular basis.

Of all the model pack add ons, the one that *should* be free is the acoustic rig. That is a matter of contention with the JTV acoustic models paired with the HD500 when L6Linked to a DT amp. Hopefully that new feature will make the JTV acoustic models more usable with the DT amps.

I am pysched for the JCM800 and the Variac'd Plexi. Especially the extra Plexi.... Super stoked for that!!

You also have to remember, its companies that constantly update their electronics platforms all the time that invite such expectations.

How do you expect people to think/consume the same as they did in the old days, when companies refresh their products in a system

of planned obsolescence so frequently, takes 2 to tango IMO.

cruisinon2, on 23 Jan 2015 - 5:19 PM, said:snapback.png

I'd hate to be in charge of marketing for anything today. The instant gratification generation is never happy with anything. Half of them will never be satisfied until L6's product line reads like a Chinese takeout menu....7000 things to choose from, and nothing more than 8 bucks.

I just want to say Thank You Dear Lord and Line 6!

This is awesome!

***From a previous post earlier*** I was wrong! And I don't mind admitting I am wrong when Line 6 does such an amazing release like this!

Thank you for hearing the people! Can't wait to hear the remastered JCM 800 and thanks for the addition of the Bass Pack.

Are these new BASS amp modellers or model from the XT pro line?

I will buy it all just to encourage further development, and to enjoy even more line 6 modelling awesomeness!

The model pack thing is not surprising.. New business model, Yamaha wants to make some money on the HD line; and for the price I'll certainly be jumping on that in a few months once they release the new firmware.

The idea that they collect free suggestions from IdeaScale in order to sell/market products is somewhat clever. Everyone who posted on IdeaScale prior to this point in time most likely assumed they were making requests for firmware / free upgrades, as opposed to being used in a pro-bono market research project....

Does leave a strange resonance with me, but nothing to get worked up over. Typically companies pay their own employees to come up with the creative solutions for new product development, but hey, Line6 has a strong user base with a built in desire to give feedback and notes to further develop and refine the products they love and use on a regular basis.

I am pysched for the JCM800 and the Variac'd Plexi. Especially the extra Plexi.... Super stoked for that!!

Just a few comments. The model pack idea is not a new one for Line 6. They did it for the XT line. Had the same model pack names. They are still available I believe. And if they follow their history, all the packs will be available on a new HD unit like they were when they went from the XT to the X3. Not gonna stop me from getting the packs bu something to consider.

In regard to ideascale I would hope that most people would realize that it is a way to get free advice. I like it since sometimes employees spend so much time with a particular product, they start to lose sight of what Joe Schmoe wants. Of course we've all seen that with many products. An idea I submitted on the forums a long time ago, way before ideascale, was implemented in the X3 that was an issue for me in the Vetta amp series. That was the FX loop was only after the amps. I suggested being able to put it before the amps was a very good thing. Next thing I knew, you could. And of course it's in the HD series moreso. Now I'm not saying that it was only because of me this happened. But I'm still waiting for my residual check. ;) There was at least one other idea I had suggested a long time ago that was implemented. So if it means ideas that wouldn't have been thought of by the people who might be a little too close to the product are considered and used, then I'm all for it. But, as you said, when you do that you're kind of doing their job for them.

I also am excited about the new amps. Here's an interesting little fact. For the original Variac'd Marshall model, on the Marshall they used to model it, the Variac voltage going to the amp was turned up. As you should know, this model was an attempt to get you Van Halen's amp sound. I enquired that I had heard Mr. Van Halen actually tuned the Variac voltage down and lied about it so no one would copy him. It was stated by the Line 6 employee on the forums at the time that they had tried it turning down the Variac voltage and it sounded terrible. So the model is the Marshall with the Variac tuned up. Well it tuns out I was right. Mr. Van Halen has admitted to turning the Variac voltage down to get his brown sound, not up. He originally did it in an attempt to be able to crank the amp and keep the volume low. Liked what he heard. Just a little tid bit of info I thought people might find interesting.