Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seems theres something on the way for guitarists at NAMM

Dshow

Decidedly underwhelmed by the new model packs.

No Diezel amps in the metal pack but lots of line 6's own creations (most of which I'll never use). I can't see me buying this just for three amps that interest me.

The vintage pack is better, I'll use all these, but why no Boogie Mk I or II? This is a serious omission.

Here's an interesting little fact. For the original Variac'd Marshall model, on the Marshall they used to model it, the Variac voltage going to the amp was turned up. As you should know, this model was an attempt to get you Van Halen's amp sound. I enquired that I had heard Mr. Van Halen actually tuned the Variac voltage down and lied about it so no one would copy him. It was stated by the Line 6 employee on the forums at the time that they had tried it turning down the Variac voltage and it sounded terrible. So the model is the Marshall with the Variac tuned up. Well it tuns out I was right. Mr. Van Halen has admitted to turning the Variac voltage down to get his brown sound, not up. He originally did it in an attempt to be able to crank the amp and keep the volume low. Liked what he heard. Just a little tid bit of info I thought people might find interesting.

Yeah, I always had heard he did some heavy customization to his amps, and ran the Variac. I guess that makes sense - turn the power down; aka "The Brown Sound". Typically, the reference to the power in your house dipping but not going out is called a 'brown out'. I wonder where that original terminology originated?

"The second way Edward controlled his overall output volume was that he would use a dummy load box after the Marshall head, in effect making the Marshall a preamp for the entire system. The output of the load box would then run through his effects which would then be sent to the input stage of a power amplifier (most often an H & H V800 MOS-FET model according to the September 1986 issue of Guitar World). The speaker output of his Marshall was set at 8 ohms and the dummy load box resistance was set to 20 ohms to help ease the strain of the amplifier being run at full volume."

Hi

I miss an Amp that has been quite important for me even though it's an amp that isn't widely known but very vintage and very usable: Marshal Major 200W.

But I think the 5150 is great, aswell as the "Purge" which was my favorite Metal Amp in Podfarm. I will spend my money anyways... =)

Wasn't the last namm pretty much void for guitarists?

The NAMM organization says this year's show has twice as much floorspace devoted to synths as last year. A lot of companies see this trend of young people eschewing guitars, and they're pivoting their product lines to keep up. Instead, Line 6 is fighting the good fight with products like AMPLIFi and Firehawk. We want new guitarists, which is good for everybody.

The NAMM organization says this year's show has twice as much floorspace devoted to synths as last year. A lot of companies see this trend of young people eschewing guitars, and they're pivoting their product lines to keep up. Instead, Line 6 is fighting the good fight with products like AMPLIFi and Firehawk. We want new guitarists, which is good for everybody.

I guess looking at it that way it sure is a good thing. Hopefully, the electric guitar, in its purest sense of an instrument and nothing more (pickup, strings, wood, and metal), and the accompanying means of amplification won't die off too quickly. It would be interesting to see what a guitar will become in, say, 100 years.

I believe the global EQ is a 3 band parametric EQ with high and low pass and is separate from your patch EQ modules.  It is basically applied to the output after your complete signal processing so you can make changes to suit the particular venue or environment you are playing at without changing each patch.  It stays on all the time unless it has a bypass function but that would mean adding another FS so probably not.

I really hope that the global EQ will be a little more complex... I was thinking about a 5 band parametric EQ (low, low-mid, mid, mid-high, high) and it would be nice to have also "contour" and resonance parameters. These are "master" parameters that you can usually find in competitors' global eq.

Will the update fix the Bomber Uber pre? Because all the pre amp models through power/cab sound awesome, but the Bomber Uber Pre is just a thin sounding fizzy piece of..... :( and I would love to use that amp :(

True, the Uber pre sounds a bit thin to me too. Actually I prefer using the full model which is way better (I go through power amp and guitar cab), just cutted the mids and played a lot with the mid-focus eq. Now it's my reference amp for a good american hard rock / metal sound.

True, the Uber pre sounds a bit thin to me too. Actually I prefer using the full model which is way better (I go through power amp and guitar cab), just cutted the mids and played a lot with the mid-focus eq. Now it's my reference amp for a good american hard rock / metal sound.

Tired it, but to mee, it just doesn't sound the way I want it. Hope they will fix it.....Aren't they hearing it how bad it sounds compared to the other preamp models?

So, correct me if I'm wrong here.

As a urrent HD500x user, I'll have the following options:

1) Keep the HD500x, pay an extra $100 (that would make it cost ~$600) to get the aditional ~20 amps from the model packs

2) Sell the HD500x and get the Firehawk and get ALL the amps the HD500x will have, plus the XT models, all for the same money I'll get from selling the HD500x.

Seems the Firehawk might sway away some current HD500x users. Yes, you lose some power-user features, like MIDI and multiple inputs. But for the guys just running simple patches, seems like a better deal than spending money to upgrade to HD500x. For HD300 and HD400, it seems like a no brainer

1) Keep the HD500x, pay an extra $100 (that would make it cost ~$600) to get the aditional ~20 amps from the model packs

2) Sell the HD500x and get the Firehawk and get ALL the amps the HD500x will have, plus the XT models, all for the same money I'll get from selling the HD500x.

1) Don't forget that you don't have to purchase the new model packs.

2) AFAIK Firehawk will not include the new model packs (at least not the new HD models; not sure about the non-HD stuff). You may or may not be able to purchase them at some point in the future.

1) Don't forget that you don't have to purchase the new model packs.

2) AFAIK Firehawk will not include the new model packs (at least not the new HD models; not sure about the non-HD stuff). You may or may not be able to purchase them at some point in the future.

Hmm, seems I've seen somewhere something about it coming with 50 HD amps and over 100 non-HD ones. I might be mixing infos, but I infered that it would include every amp from POD Farm and the HD amps, including the ones coming in the packs for the HD500x. If that's not the case, it might not be that compelling after all.

The main thing for me is the VDI input, wich both have. The app interface for edditing seems cool, although not sure how gig-reliable that would be. Signal routing would be much simpler than on the HD, with semi-fixed FX blocks, like on the XT/X3. Seems a confusing decision now, but maye they'll clear it up closer to the release date

Will the Firehawk have the HD pre amps?

If so you could plug it into the effects loop in on a DT amp, using the pre amp from the FH.

I also wonder how th FH will sound just plugged into the front of a DT.

Any thought on these questions?

I'd be surprised if they offer the pre models on the Firehawk. Without L6 Link, you lose the ability to control the DT's power amp topology. It seems that a DT owner would still be better off going with the 500X for $50 more.

• Upvote 2

...It seems that a DT owner would still be better off going with the 500X for $50 more.

also true 2 a jtv owner (?)   - no variax tone+variax vol assignment 2 params

also true 4 a potential hd buyer (?)   -no dual amps, no mic input, no aux input, no MIDI, no L6 LINK, no S/PDIF out, no Mac/PC editor, no 52 controller routings

Will the Firehawk have the HD pre amps?

You can't select the PRE-amp version like you can on the POD HD series, but along with any selected amp you can also select No Cab, which inhibits a mic selection as well. So that's pretty much like using just the preamp. You can set the 1/4" outputs to Amp mode.

Why learn to play an instrument when you can just push a few buttons? Add a goofy mask, strobe lights, a fog machine, various illicit substances, and a room full of writhing 20-somethings and POOF! You're a "musician". Ugh...

Synth playing and 

Why learn to play an instrument when you can just push a few buttons? Add a goofy mask, strobe lights, a fog machine, various illicit substances, and a room full of writhing 20-somethings and POOF! You're a "musician". Ugh...

To be fair, synth player/programmer =/= armchair DJ.

Synth playing and 

To be fair, synth player/programmer =/= armchair DJ.

Real electronic music where people actually play synths can be pretty cool. It's light years ahead of a DJ. I played a show a few weeks ago where this girl was singing and she had a "DJ" to play her tracks for her. The DJ had her whole rig there with the turntables and all that, but literally all the DJ did was hit play at the beginning of the song and stand on the stage with headphones on. I don't get that.

Real electronic music where people actually play synths can be pretty cool. It's light years ahead of a DJ. I played a show a few weeks ago where this girl was singing and she had a "DJ" to play her tracks for her. The DJ had her whole rig there with the turntables and all that, but literally all the DJ did was hit play at the beginning of the song and stand on the stage with headphones on. I don't get that.

A lot of top DJs who make $100k+ per show don't even press a spacebar; some don't even tour with stage gear—just an empty table. Several top DJs don't even have input on their own tracks—they're just a face and hype man/woman and the label hires ghost producers. And I'm not just talking obvious ones like Paris Hilton—I'm talking HUGE touring DJs.

AMPLIFi is our initial attempt to get people to play more guitar and press fewer spacebars.

• Upvote 1

Seems the Firehawk might sway away some current HD500x users. Yes, you lose some power-user features, like MIDI and multiple inputs. But for the guys just running simple patches, seems like a better deal than spending money to upgrade to HD500x. For HD300 and HD400, it seems like a no brainer

i was checking this video from namm and i don't see the new model packs pre-loaded on the firehawk:

[media=560x315]

[/media]

If there is one word I would use to describe the JC120, it is "shimmering".  I first heard one in college circa 1985 and I thought it was awesome.  I was playing in a band and using  a Dean Markley stack, but I thought a JC120 would have been perfect for many songs we did like - Just Like Heaven ... and I found out, entirely unshocking - the Cure and Smith in particular used a JC-120 in the studio quite often.  And I found out Andy Summers did, too. 

The JC-120 is the Nile Rodgers of amps.  Almost any time I heard a catchy funky relatively clean Chic-like riff/chord progression, it turned out to be a song either produced by him or where he actually played on the recording.e.g.

And just like Rodgers, the JC-120 is that ultra shimmering clean sound where you instantly go (if you are a gear dood) wow sounds like a JC-120.

I remember a lot of guys in our band's circle of friends thought it was a lame soul-less solid state abomination, but that's par for the course with their ilk

A JC-120 would be awesome with an HD500x and Variax imo - it can offer a clean so clean and unaffected that it is almost PA-like, and it can add the best chorus you have ever heard along with reverb to any track you are laying down

I am still a bit confused... It seems that Firehawk will have hd amps and it will be also stage oriented. Does it mean that it will be more user-friendly in parameters and connections? Even when connecting to an amp? Honestly POD HD is not a "plug and play" machine, the learning curve will be shorter in Firehawk? I believe that on the stage it's quite difficult to change settings or fx via smartphone or tablet, so it should be some sort of "create patch and forget" device with the exception of some quick tweaking in eq / drive / fx level (depending on cab and acoustics)?

...It's a POD HD minus dual amps, mic input, aux input, MIDI, L6 LINK, S/PDIF out, Mac/PC editor, 52 controller routings...

...plus a stupid easy-to-use mobile app that works with almost anybody's phone or tablet, infinite presets from the cloud, tonematching with your entire music library, higher contrast display, metal chassis-bolted knobs, intelligent output modes, RGB color footswitch rings for instant feedback, hardware blend encoder with LED ladder, power switch (!), separate L and R send jacks, all the POD Farm amps, all the POD Farm effects, dedicated reverb and assignable tweak knobs, super simple footswitch assignment, bluetooth streaming from Mac/PC/iOS/Android, class-compliant audio interface (no special drivers necessary and will record to iPad with camera kit), and the ability to auto recall your presets by simply playing your backing tracks.

If there is one word I would use to describe the JC120, it is "shimmering".  I first heard one in college circa 1985 and I thought it was awesome.  I was playing in a band and using  a Dean Markley stack, but I thought a JC120 would have been perfect for many songs we did like - Just Like Heaven ... and I found out, entirely unshocking - the Cure and Smith in particular used a JC-120 in the studio quite often.  And I found out Andy Summers did, too. 

A JC-120 would be awesome with an HD500x and Variax imo - it can offer a clean so clean and unaffected that it is almost PA-like, and it can add the best chorus you have ever heard along with reverb to any track you are laying down

Steve Rothery of Marillion used a JC-120 on pretty much everything

I have say my concern however is how much of that "shimmer" sound involved the Vibrato or especially Chorus effects.  Anybody know which switches on the Dimension model might give that subtle shimmer?

The JC-120 is the Nile Rodgers of amps.  Almost any time I heard a catchy funky relatively clean Chic-like riff/chord progression, it turned out to be a song either produced by him or where he actually played on the recording.e.g.

And just like Rodgers, the JC-120 is that ultra shimmering clean sound where you instantly go (if you are a gear dood) wow sounds like a JC-120.

I remember a lot of guys in our band's circle of friends thought it was a lame soul-less solid state abomination, but that's par for the course with their ilk

I love my JC120's chorus, but ya ain't gonna get it in the amp sim. You'll have to add that effect like any other amp.

I have read that Nile's sound is simply a Strat straight into the board. Have you tried that? Most people find that dry and anemic, but with compression and EQ it can work.

I have read that Nile's sound is simply a Strat straight into the board. Have you tried that? Most people find that dry and anemic, but with compression and EQ it can work.

I think you are missing my point

I'm not saying Niles Used a JC-120

He may have on a song or two but not that I am aware of

You are correct in that a pretty dry strat is his bread and butter

He may add a little reverb, compression , and even chorus

My point is that the JC-120 is analogous to Niles

Iow, they are both ubiquitous

Song after song in modern pop and rock, you hear a certain tone/style/groove and ... You know it's Niles and it turns out to be true

The same is true of JC-120. You hear a song abd it just screams JC120 to you and it turns out to be true

Both are bedrock elements of many pop, funk, pop songs (not IN the same songs but just defining aspects of SO many songs)

Niles has influenced countless guitarists and producers

The JC120 has influence countless guitarists and producers

Niles has inspired countless copycats

The JC120 has inspired countless copycats

Niles has gone against the CW in regards to 'what sounds good' using ghost notes and chord fragments to incorporate chords into pop that nobody would ever use because they sound weird - but not whn Niles plays them that way

The JC120 has proved that solid state can sound warm and soulful, against CW

Etc etc