Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Seems theres something on the way for guitarists at NAMM

Dshow

I need guitars that play well based on my preferences... which is why I buy every pre-'91 Jackson I find (in person). 

But, I am currently working on a country TV show, and working on a pop/rock movie. So, I can't always use neon pink skulls with pointy headstock. 

Electronic gear... 

I hadn't updated my last setup in 20 years.  

I replaced it with my HD500. I hope this lasts me 20 years. 

That makes sense! If it feels good in your hands, get it play it love it! Same goes for the person who only likes pre 1965 whatevers. More power to ya. But you ain't special because of it. Nor is that pre 1965 Fender a magical conduit to Leo Fenders inner most whatever!  Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes the "gotta have pre 1965 whatever" crowd can come across as a bit fanatical and dare I say condescending to those who dig pre '91 Jacksons for example. Play whatever works!

As for the neon pink skull guitar with the pointy headstock….Whatchu Talkin' 'Bout Willis? That would be perfect for a country TV show! How funny would it be for you to show up with something like that and just throw down the most amazing country chops anyone has ever heard? The chops have to be AMAZING though, if you suck, it won't work. :P

That makes sense! If it feels good in your hands, get it play it love it! Same goes for the person who only likes pre 1965 whatevers. More power to ya. But you ain't special because of it. Nor is that pre 1965 Fender a magical conduit to Leo Fenders inner most whatever! Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes the "gotta have pre 1965 whatever" crowd can come across as a bit fanatical and dare I say condescending to those who dig pre '91 Jacksons for example. Play whatever works!

As for the neon pink skull guitar with the pointy headstock….Whatchu Talkin' 'Bout Willis? That would be perfect for a country TV show! How funny would it be for you to show up with something like that and just throw down the most amazing country chops anyone has ever heard? The chops have to be AMAZING though, if you suck, it won't work. :P

You mean there's more to sounding like SRV than just buying one of his "custom" Strats?!?!?! Say it ain't so, Flava Flav...

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Rothery of Marillion used a JC-120 on pretty much everything

I have say my concern however is how much of that "shimmer" sound involved the Vibrato or especially Chorus effects.  Anybody know which switches on the Dimension model might give that subtle shimmer?

switches 1 and 4 on is the classic dimension shimmer.

Sabbath made heavy metal with real amps and nothing digital but they also had lots of different tones on their recordings too.  Kind'a makes me wonder if they did that on purpose or just couldn't dial in their tones the same from year to year.  I play in a Sabbath tribute band and basically use the tone they had on their Paranoid album. 

But what we're trying to do with digital modelers is to make it sound like the real thing.  I guess when you have the real thing to start with, you don't need a modeler.  If I had rodies to lug my stuff around, I wouldn't need a modeler... hehe

I'm curious, why pre-'91 Jacksons?  Did something change that year?

First, I have to point out - that I am not claiming Jackson to be the best guitar ever. I am saying that for my playing preferences - they are what I like. 

And I would also like to point out that the statement I am about to make is a generalization, paraphrased, and condensed so that this does not turn into a hijacking of the thread with a historical account of Jackson Guitars and my philosophical views on the matters. 

Two main reasons. 

The first is, I said that I would buy ANY. Which means I am not going to turn down a broken one or one that is pink with sparkles. 

I am far from poor, but I don't want to spend the money on EVERY Jackson ever made. 

The other reason is: 

I have never found a pre-89 that I did not like. Maybe some that I don't bond with, but none that I don't like. After that, I start finding some that I don't like. So, I give it a two year window based on a 'curve'. 

Its also a matter of the music scene changing in the 90's, which lead to a lot of guitars being made that did not interest me. 

I have no problem buying a 1992 or 2000 or even 2015. But I am more selective about what I buy. 

Plus, I gotta keep the room for other guitars I need. Can't play 'cuntray' on a neon pink zebra with one pickup. 

Things are always changing. 

But the only real change in the '89 time frame would be the tremolo model, and it became recessed. 

I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but you asked if something changed so that is your answer. 

There was also a Jackson Strat, and somewhere around those same years, they dropped the body to focus on the Dinky. 

Sure, they brought the body back for the Adrian Smith model, but the actual Jackson Strat is gone. 

Again, its a change. I don't know if it is THE change. 

Hey pianoguy, I thought I was the only one that thought this about the older Jacksons.  That's all I play too.  I've played Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, SGs, PRS, about everything I can think of.  I still like my old Jacksons the most.  Just something about the string spacing, jumbo frets, and neck that feels more comfortable to me. 

And the funny part is --- 

Its been the same core builders since the beginning. So its not like when some companies move overseas and you get a new crop of builders. Mike Shannon worked there when Grover was still using the Charvel name. You can't blame it on that.

Although, I have to admit...

Wonderful guitars, but the buying of them could also partly be nostalgia for me?

I loved Jackson back in the 80's when I first picked one up. And I did own a few back then, but I was under contract with BCR and needed to play them onstage almost exclusively. So I didn't bother to stock up on too many $2000 Jackson models. 

Why would I? I couldn't play them on stage. They would have just been sitting there going to waste. 

• 1 month later...

good to see an update for a discontinued product, I have just bought today an used POD HD500 so it's very reassuring to read this, I have only just started learning to play the guitar and have to say this is a really nice bit of kit to play around with, also got a used Ibanez s470  and an used Peavey ValveKing VK 112 amp to get me started.

I have a few friends who hire out a barn once a week to play\jam just for fun so hoping they will teach me :) My first newbie mistake was... wow that valve king is way to loud for my flat lol

I will  have to wait to go down the barn before I can use the POD HD500 with my VK 112 amp :) so have it connected to a PC speaker system at the moment :(