Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you create a shimmering delay effect with the POD HD500x?

Valith

As the title says, is it possible to achieve a shimmering delay effect with the POD HD500x? Examples of the effect I am trying to achieve are "Day at the Beach" by Joe Satriani and "Baroque" by Joe Satriani. It's a really wierd but cool dealy and I was wondering if this is achievable with the POD HD500x (or something very similar), and if there is, can someone help me configure the pod HD500x to do so? Thank you all!

You could try using 2 octo reverbs and 2 reverse delays. One in path A and one in path B. Set the mixer balance at 100% left and 100% right.

Set the decay on each octo pretty low, ~8%.

The tone control around 25% or to your liking. The higher the tone is, the less the mix should be.

The mix around 45% for each or less depending on tone.

The pre-delay for one octo about 128ms, the other octo around 98ms. This will give it a nice wide stereo field.

Then after each octo reverb put a reverse delay. Times of around 450ms and 420ms, feedback 35%, modspd zero for both, depth 100 for both, mix around 25% for both.

Then add a hall reverb or something after the mixer.

It's probably far from perfect, but it could be start.

Attached is a patch with basically these settings I quickly put together.

What is the the song Baroque? Never heard of it.

day.at.the.beach.zip

• Upvote 1

Thank you both for the replies. I'll try using the methods listed here.

@arislaf - Which local effects? Which order? Settings? In the video he is using the VST amplitude and a boss dd-20 delay. Any suggestions on how to replicate that on the pod hd500x?

@duncann - "Baroque" is the 8th track off of Joe Satriani's album "Time Machine" And thank you for your suggestions and settings.

Thank you both for your useful replies. If anyone else has any more ideas/suggestions/settings please post, I'd really appreciate it!

Duh! After the album it's on was mentioned, I found it immediately. For some reason it remained invisible when I was looking through my list JS songs.

While Day At The Beach has a subtle ping-ponging and reverse delay going on, Baroque sounds like a little more straight-forward shimmer type reverb. Once you try to duplicate the actual guitar tone, you could try adding an octo reverb after the mixer. But it sounds like there's a bit of other reverb going on too. So try layering one or more different reverbs and possibly a subtle chorusing effect.

One thing I've noticed about the octo on the HD: it has this weird gargling/stuttering type effect at many of its settings. It really kills the smoothness that I think is supposed to be its intended effect. If you turn the decay down too low it's more prominent. If the pre-delay is too high, it seems more prominent too. So while you'll probably get real close to what you hear in Baroque, I doubt you'll be able to replicate it exactly.

Thank you both for the replies. I'll try using the methods listed here.

@arislaf - Which local effects? Which order? Settings? In the video he is using the VST amplitude and a boss dd-20 delay. Any suggestions on how to replicate that on the pod hd500x?

@duncann - "Baroque" is the 8th track off of Joe Satriani's album "Time Machine" And thank you for your suggestions and settings.

Thank you both for your useful replies. If anyone else has any more ideas/suggestions/settings please post, I'd really appreciate it!

You can use the digital mod delay at the begin, the pitch shifter and a digital delay at the end. anyway, tomorrow i will try my best on that patch.

• Upvote 2

Also give the Particle Reverb a try, it has 3 conditions.

Not quite the same, but does give some shimmer.

Thank you Triryche, I'll try some settings with the Particle Reverb. Should I put a delay in front of the Particle reverb and if so, which delay should I try?

You can use the digital mod delay at the begin, the pitch shifter and a digital delay at the end. anyway, tomorrow i will try my best on that patch.

Thank you arislaf for your helpfulness and your willlingness to try to work on a patch for me. I have been trying different settings but cannot seem to get a sound like that. It's like the guitar is at normal pitch, but the delay sounds almost "synthesized" with a few repeats. I am sure there has to be a way to get something similar with the HD500x, perhaps not exactly, but pretty close. I sincerly appreciate you helping me try to work on a patch to figure it out. Ever since I was a young kid in Jr. High and heard Day at the Beach and Baroque, I always wondered how in the world Satriani achieved that effect. I know Vai has used it as well, although no specific song comes to mind from Vai, I know he has used that effect before as well.

I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions on helping me try to achieve this effect - you guys ROCK!

• Upvote 1

Thank you Triryche, I'll try some settings with the Particle Reverb. Should I put a delay in front of the Particle reverb and if so, which delay should I try?

Thank you arislaf for your helpfulness and your willlingness to try to work on a patch for me. I have been trying different settings but cannot seem to get a sound like that. It's like the guitar is at normal pitch, but the delay sounds almost "synthesized" with a few repeats. I am sure there has to be a way to get something similar with the HD500x, perhaps not exactly, but pretty close. I sincerly appreciate you helping me try to work on a patch to figure it out. Ever since I was a young kid in Jr. High and heard Day at the Beach and Baroque, I always wondered how in the world Satriani achieved that effect. I know Vai has used it as well, although no specific song comes to mind from Vai, I know he has used that effect before as well.

I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions on helping me try to achieve this effect - you guys ROCK!

Welcome :) I create it at a pod HD desktop, but you can easily convert it at the conversion utility, the most important was the pan and the dual path setting. Since you have a 500X I believe you can use 2 amps instead the 1 I use due to my D.S.P. Limit. Hope you will enjoy this patch :)

You are a JEDI Arislaf ;)

You just make my day Geekydaddy :)  

Btw, there is a nice joke:

I get out of my car, I open my girlfriends door, and she said: oh, what a knight!! 

I reply, Jedi...

And then I start laughing...

And I still wonder why I don't f@ck... :D

• Upvote 3

Thank you arislaf! Awesome patch! I listened to your demo on the link you provided but I am not sure how to load the .hbe patch you created into the POD HD500x.

Where can I find the conversion utility to convert it to a .5xe file to load it into the PODHD500x Edit Program?

EDIT: Found the conversion Utility and converted it -thank you arislaf!

It doesn't create the effect I am looking for, but that patch is really awesome! If you listen to the song Day at the beach by Joe Satriani or Baroque you'll hear the delay is kinda like a "synth" sound. The guitar is clean, and sounds normal, but the delay is synth-like.

You can hear the effect really well on this YouTube Video of his song - and around the 25-26 second mark and around the 52-54 second mark he stops playing for a moment and you can really hear the delay sound. The second link is to Baroque, which uses a very similar synth like delay while the guitar sounds normal:

Day At the Beach (demonstrates delay effect I am trying to achieve)

Baroque (Very similar delay effect that I am looking for but has some extra shimmering to it)

• Upvote 1

Here's an updated patch for Day At The Beach  and Baroque.

It turns out that bru58ski seems correct and that the only effect being used in Day At The Beach is a reverse delay, and it sounds to me to be slightly ping-ponged.

Baroque sounds like a more straight-forward shimmer type effect. It sounds garglely/stuttery at some parts, especially when first hitting some notes, and tends to smooth itself out as it decays. So I attached the decay of the octo to EXP 1. Heel-down gives the more garglely/stuttery response, and toe-down increases the decay to smooth it out somewhat.

I also did a quick attempt at matching the guitar tone. On my guitar it sounds close. The pickups are dimarzio evolution, and the pickup position uses one-half the neck pickup plus the middle pickup, or position 2 of the switch.

datb.baroque.zip