Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I've decided to explore other products...

357mag

Feel it's time to explore other guitar processors besides what Line 6 markets. There are several things about the HD Series that I don't like. I never liked the sound of the SM 57's where as I loved them in the X3. In the previous PODs Equalizers were fun and simple to use. Hertz and Db. The HD Series has turned them into a convoluted mess with percentages instead. Then they give you these small black rotary knobs for adjusting Bias and Bias X and Thump etc. Truthfully I only found a few of them helpful. The rest were just taking up space and not contributing to the sound.

In the X3 the JCM-800 was an awesome sounding amp. It was my amp. In the HD Series the amp sounds like a cow's colon all plugged up. It's unusable for me. However I will give Line 6 credit for including the JCM-800 pre-amp which sounds markedly better and more clear.

Plus where is the JCM-2000 series? Ain't there at all, nor the JCM-900 either. If you are a Marshall player you will greatly miss those amps.

But again I give credit to the company for making a very good sounding JTM-45. I was able to get a superb Malmsteen tone with it.

But for me the cons outweigh the pros so I'm gonna try some other gear. 

Many Thanks to everyone who helped me with my questions and I wish you the best.

• Upvote 1

Feel it's time to explore other guitar processors besides what Line 6 markets. 

Many Thanks to everyone who helped me with my questions and I wish you the best.

Good luck in your searches.  If you find that better gear in a similar price range be sure to keep us posted...   ;)

• Upvote 3

I hope you are blessed with the offering at this Years NAMMs.

Will it be Digitech , the new top dog of floorboard modelling controllers or another contender?

It will take much to knock the crown from Kemper.

Look into Kemper. I would if I could afford it.

In the meantime POD HDs push well above their weight imo

but you could go back to the POD you were happiest with.

No shame, a buddy of mine has returned to his fav, the GSP 1101

He never tried a  HD500

Each to their own

• Upvote 1

Then they give you these small black rotary knobs for adjusting Bias and Bias X and Thump etc. Truthfully I only found a few of them helpful.

Interesting, I find that those knobs where the best Update for the HD. I use them all the time but it's more about the feeling when playing than the tone shape.

Regarding the JCM-800 I was playing around a bit this weekend and found out that turning back Low Cut in the Cab Parameters a bit seems to work for me very well with that model.

Anyway, good luck finding your product and let us know how you decided.

• Upvote 1

There was more than few times I almost gave up too.  But, atleast for me, perseverance and patience finally prevailed and I got what I wanted from the PODHD. 

I've checked out everything else multiple times in the PODHD's price range and couldn't find anything as good.  So good luck with your search.  If you find something, let us know.

I seem to be seeing a trend in the people that are unsatisfied with the HD500. It appears to me that often the players that play high gain or heavy metal music are the users that are most unsatisfied. I wonder if the HD500 is just better at more classic amp tones than high gain modern tones?

-Max

How much you selling your HD for? :)

Feel it's time to explore other guitar processors besides what Line 6 markets. There are several things about the HD Series that I don't like. I never liked the sound of the SM 57's where as I loved them in the X3. In the previous PODs Equalizers were fun and simple to use. Hertz and Db. The HD Series has turned them into a convoluted mess with percentages instead. Then they give you these small black rotary knobs for adjusting Bias and Bias X and Thump etc. Truthfully I only found a few of them helpful. The rest were just taking up space and not contributing to the sound.

In the X3 the JCM-800 was an awesome sounding amp. It was my amp. In the HD Series the amp sounds like a cow's colon all plugged up. It's unusable for me. However I will give Line 6 credit for including the JCM-800 pre-amp which sounds markedly better and more clear.

Plus where is the JCM-2000 series? Ain't there at all, nor the JCM-900 either. If you are a Marshall player you will greatly miss those amps.

But again I give credit to the company for making a very good sounding JTM-45. I was able to get a superb Malmsteen tone with it.

I seem to be seeing a trend in the people that are unsatisfied with the HD500. It appears to me that often the players that play high gain or heavy metal music are the users that are most unsatisfied. I wonder if the HD500 is just better at more classic amp tones than high gain modern tones?

-Max

Growing trend, I doubt that from  actual users. Out of the tens of thousand of users the amount of farewells is probably the lowest percentage of the lot.

But I do see some professional jealousy in other forums knocking the HDs. Some are downright nonsense and just are obvious from fractal and especially Avid users. Man those guys really hate the POD HDs.

One must make up ones own ears about anything subjective like tone. 

There are plenty of good modelers out there,Line 6 being one of them and it pays to get to grips with it.

One criticism of most of them is how they are multi functional and appear complicated at first. Perhaps the HDs might be at the top of that list.

-Max

I guess the "problem" is some people like polished sounds more than "raw" sounds

Usually when I start looking into new gear it's because I've gotten bored with the current rig, rather than anything that I especially dislike about the unit(s).New toys are a great way to kickstart creativity. The stuff that I've genuinely disliked never stayed around long enough to become a hinderance.

I never liked the sound of the SM 57's where as I loved them in the X3.

In the previous PODs Equalizers were fun and simple to use. Hertz and Db. The HD Series has turned them into a convoluted mess with percentages instead.

... they give you these small black rotary knobs for adjusting Bias and Bias X and Thump etc. Truthfully I only found a few of them helpful. The rest were just taking up space and not contributing to the sound.

... In the HD Series the amp sounds like a cow's colon all plugged up. It's unusable for me. 

…Ok, I'm your Huckleberry….Why did you purchase the Line 6 Pod HD 500(X)?

None of what you have stated is new. When you decided to purchase the HD, it did't have JCM-2000 series. It came with the SM 57 that you hated from jump. The HD JCM 800 was the JCM that you demo'ed at the music store which sounded like a constipated cow. And yet….you purchased it. Just sayin'...

Forgive me If that sounds jerkish. It is not my intention. I am genuinely curious about people on this forum who hated this gear from day One, and STILL came out of pocket for it. 

More power and good fortune to you on your future processor exploration. But do yourself a favor…. Purchase something that you actually like.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree about the EQ, I don't really like their EQs on the HD. There should be a 4 band EQ with Hertz, Q and level by DB. 50hz-22khz assignable. 

I was trying to dial in a Smashing Pumpkins tone and it didn't stand out well in the mix without EQ. I'd work with an EQ plug in and it sounded great but didn't transcribe as well on the POD EQ FX. 

I think the PODHD sounds great, it's just the EQ section is annoying.

I'm afraid I might be out too. The model packs don't interest me, and I had the HD since right after it came out. It was used on several releases and hundreds of live shows. I don't play metal, and own a Variax Acoustic, M9 and DL4 too. It isn't that the HD doesn't sound good...it can, although it takes lots of tweaking to get it right. I find I can get a much better, more open and dynamic sound faster with my M9 and a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5. I have replaced the adapter for the HD twice ( total is about $100 for the replacements!?!), and while the HD is built like a tank, the adapter is not.

No more investing in the HD...no more hoping the looper gets expression pedal control (apparently that is impossible, although possible on the M series and DL4). I will miss powering the Variax, but that is what batteries are for. Most likely I will sell the M9 and HD and put it towards an FX8. The FX8/Fly Rig combo should be a great one when I need to go direct.

When I first used the POD HD500X I was really disappointed: through my guitar amp and cab it sounded horrible. Then I began to tweak and to study. It was hard, needed a lot of patience and time, but at the end I created some quite good patches for my live performance. Now I am considering buying a StageSource L2m because I believe this machine is designed suited for this type of output than the classic guitar amp/cab.

Anyway I also owned other floor units like Digitech (RP360 and RP1000), Zoom (G3 and G9.2) and Boss (GT6). For my genre and music (I play hard rock and metal) the Line6 POD HD is the best choice so far (for my budget at least), and I kept only the RP360 as backup (just because there is no equivalent, 3 indipendent button with pedal, lightweight and at low budget in line6 offer) but I admit it is the less "plug and play" unit I have ever owned (just think about the percentage in eq, for example) so I easily understand if someone gives up.

• Upvote 1

None of what you have stated is new. When you decided to purchase the HD, it did't have JCM-2000 series. It came with the SM 57 that you hated from jump. The HD JCM 800 was the JCM that you demo'ed at the music store which sounded like a constipated cow. And yet….you purchased it. Just sayin'...

I'm not the OP, or even an HD owner yet, but I see 2 things wrong with this.

1) Lots of us were led to believe that the HD would end up seeing as many amps as previous models did. It's unusual for a company to bring out a successor that is less fully-featured than the predecessor, after all. But maybe that was taking a risk, sure.

2) A lot of us don't get to try these products before buying. I mentioned in another thread recently that it's almost impossible to see an HD500 or HD500x in the wild over here in the UK. The time and cost of travelling to find a showroom with one in is expensive. So we read up on things, compare it to previous products we might have owned, and hope for the best.

2) A lot of us don't get to try these products before buying. I mentioned in another thread recently that it's almost impossible to see an HD500 or HD500x in the wild over here in the UK. The time and cost of traveling to find a showroom with one in is expensive. So we read up on things, compare it to previous products we might have owned, and hope for the best.

not disputing the topic but considering that the UK is about the size of NY/NJ together but much more densely populated, I don't see how its so tough to find a dealer...  then again in the US I don't think twice about a 100 mile trip...

use the dealer locator...

http://line6.com/find/dealer/

1) Lots of us were led to believe that the HD would end up seeing as many amps as previous models did. It's unusual for a company to bring out a successor that is less fully-featured than the predecessor, after all. But maybe that was taking a risk, sure.

I don't believe this was ever stated by Line 6. Could you point to a source please, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Most of the dealers on there have had no new stock from Line6 in months. I asked all the local dealers and some even said Line 6 don't return their calls when they've asked for more stock. And no, most people in the UK won't make a 100 mile trip to speculatively try out gear. (Vehicle fuel is about $6 per gallon).

I don't believe this was ever stated by Line 6. Could you point to a source please, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I never said it was stated by Line 6. But people buy new products based on the track record of old ones, and based on reviews which predict future updates, and it is very surprising that development slowed down rather than sped up.

You have to make assumptions about support when buying products like this. Mostly this is because nobody is shipping these units in perfect condition (in terms of software/firmware) and it's impossible to test every feature before you buy. But also because you know that companies have a history of releasing updates and you want to make sure that your money spent now gives you the best bang for the buck over the years in which you hope to own the gear.

I'm not saying anybody has the right to a refund or anything. They got what they paid for. But they're entitled to think that it's a poor showing compared to previous offerings from L6. Maybe the latest update in the last few days will satisfy most of these people, however? Unfortunately for me, neither this update nor the FireHawk are fixing the problems I have with the HD line.

I'm not the OP, or even an HD owner yet, but I see 2 things wrong with this.

2) A lot of us don't get to try these products before buying. I mentioned in another thread recently that it's almost impossible to see an HD500 or HD500x in the wild over here in the UK. The time and cost of travelling to find a showroom with one in is expensive. So we read up on things, compare it to previous products we might have owned, and hope for the best.

Respectfully, I don't buy that. If I may…There is an old saying in the world of Wall Street that may be appropriate here…."Past Performance Is Not An Indicator Of Future Results".

Why would one pay $500 for something that they hate in the present in the hopes that its going to blow the doors off the house with a few firmware updates sometime later? That makes no sense.  Further, these hopes for the future "Pimp'ning" of the HD are based ONLY on the though process of the purchasers. Nowhere anywhere does Line 6 promise to turn what the original poster of this thread might liken to a Pinto, into a Ferrari. And really, if someone hates this gear as much as was stated, there aren't enough updates on the planet to make this your Ferrari.

Can't speak to the lack of places to demo ones purchases in the UK. If it is as scarce as you say, then that's unfortunate. I wouldn't pay for something that I didn't play with. But I have a music dude in my hood. It seems that the original poster of this thread kept the gear long enough to be past the return policy window. Not completely sure of that. But if so, why keep the gear you dislikes so much so long? I can play with a piece of gear and know within a few minutes whether it's for me or not. I would have returned it pronto. But again, I speak only for me.

Gosh, there are so many incredible guitarist that have come from across the pond. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Gary Moore, Tony Iommi, John McLaughlin just off the top of my head. How did they get their gear as young guitarlings? The internets and Amazon didn't exist then. There HAD to be some music stores other than Andertons SOMEWHERE? right?

None of this really matters to the dude who hates his gear. Since the HD isn't his Ferrari (to stay with the analogy) he should by all means go for what works for him. I would again suggest that he takes his time and get something that he likes right now and not purchase some self made idea of what he thinks a piece of gear may become sometime in the future.

Respectfully, I don't buy that. If I may…There is an old saying in the world of Wall Street that may be appropriate here…."Past Performance Is Not An Indicator Of Future Results".

Why would one pay $500 for something that they hate in the present in the hopes that its going to blow the doors off the house with a few firmware updates sometime later? That makes no sense.

Of course. But that's an exaggeration. What is more likely is that someone buys something that they think is just about good enough, from a company known for iterating and improving on its products. Which didn't happen so much this time around. It takes a while to adjust to these complex products, anyway. I would think that it's hard to know if it really suits your needs until you've had it a few months.

(This relates to me asking a while back whether the signal routing on the HD500x would be good enough for my needs - and the answer was "er, maybe, probably, go try one out". Which I sadly can't do.)

Gosh, there are so many incredible guitarist that have come from across the pond. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Gary Moore, Tony Iommi, John McLaughlin just off the top of my head. How did they get their gear as young guitarlings? The internets and Amazon didn't exist then. There HAD to be some music stores other than Andertons SOMEWHERE? right?

There are a fair few. But live music is not doing so well over here, so lots of stores closed down. And I get the impression that Line 6 (or their local distributor) either can't or won't deal much with the smaller stores that don't shift so much stock. Maybe the overhead outweighs the profits. The big places like Andertons seem to do ok with getting hold of it.

I own a Pod HD 500 qnd a DT50 2x12 BUT I have not been using them together for some time . I use my DT live as a standalone ( thank you vs2.0 update to DT) and have been using the HD500 strictly as a practice tool and recording interrace .I think it pays off tenfold if only used for those two purposes but to each his own ...... Yada .... Yada .... I am happy your happy though. And I'm happy I'm happy ...... anyone for a round of We Are The World I'll take the stevie wonder part.

Of course. But that's an exaggeration. What is more likely is that someone buys something that they think is just about good enough, from a company known for iterating and improving on its products. 

I understand the thought process. I just think it's flawed.

Whose to say, even if Line 6 has an unwavering history of "iterating and improving on its products" that they will iterate and improve a product in a way that is going to satisfy the dude who started this thread? Truth of the matter is, Line 6 DID "iterate and improve" the POD. Remember life without the Soldano? Variax users, remember having to find that silly little plastic interface you needed to use the Variax edit software? 

Unfortunately, none of those iterations satisfied the dude who now is exploring new gear. 

The point being, don't purchase something that you don't like thinking that Line 6 is going to make it what you want later based only on what you think you saw them do to some other product in the past. Time and time again that thought process is proving to not work well for people. We all know what you call someone who  does the same thing over and over and expects a different result.

I own a Pod HD 500 qnd a DT50 2x12 BUT I have not been using them together for some time . I use my DT live as a standalone ( thank you vs2.0 update to DT) and have been using the HD500 strictly as a practice tool and recording interrace .I think it pays off tenfold if only used for those two purposes but to each his own ...... Yada .... Yada .... I am happy your happy though. And I'm happy I'm happy ...... anyone for a round of We Are The World I'll take the stevie wonder part.

I got the Cindy Lauper Part!…..well, Well, WELL, WEEEEELLLLLLLL……..

Tboneous said Gosh, there are so many incredible guitarist that have come from across the pond. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Brian May, Gary Moore, Tony Iommi, John McLaughlin just off the top of my head. How did they get their gear as young guitarlings? The internets and Amazon didn't exist then. There HAD to be some music stores other than Andertons SOMEWHERE? right?

There was and when they were learning their trade there was a lot of small and not so small music shops in the uk Eric Claptons Auntie bought his first guitar and he bought more guitars from Bell Musical Instruments in Surbiton which probably had the first mail order catalogue for musical instruments in the uk unfortunatly they are no longer there. Jim Marshalls shop which I visited in my time up at Hanwell was a small affair now most of the UK music wise if you want the big names are down to the Andetons GAK Guitar Guitar etc and an other handful of music shops. Our local music shops can not get Gibson dealership or Fender or any major manufacturer because they are required to promise to have a big stock which of coarse they can not afford to be a dealer so they are left with the cheaper end of the market. The uk since EC's time has changed from a nation of shop keepers to a giant service industry.

I live up in the Highlands of Scotland so rely on mail order my nearest stockist is a 340 mile round trip I ordered my Dream rig by mail order judged by demo's by line 6 video's on u tube and I am pleased with it although I have found it to be a hard learning curve and have a lot to learn yet but I do sympathise with folk who rey on mail order and are not happy. The petrol at the moment here is at its lowest price over here for years but folk from USA would be stunned at the price if they had to pay also the cost of stuff over here we pay in pounds what you guys pay in dollars.

• Upvote 1

There was and when they were learning their trade there was a lot of small and not so small music shops in the uk Eric Claptons Auntie bought his first guitar and he bought more guitars from Bell Musical Instruments in Surbiton which probably had the first mail order catalogue for musical instruments in the uk unfortunatly they are no longer there. Jim Marshalls shop which I visited in my time up at Hanwell was a small affair now most of the UK music wise if you want the big names are down to the Andetons GAK Guitar Guitar etc and an other handful of music shops. Our local music shops can not get Gibson dealership or Fender or any major manufacturer because they are required to promise to have a big stock which of coarse they can not afford to be a dealer so they are left with the cheaper end of the market. The uk since EC's time has changed from a nation of shop keepers to a giant service industry.

I live up in the Highlands of Scotland so rely on mail order my nearest stockist is a 340 mile round trip I ordered my Dream rig by mail order judged by demo's by line 6 video's on u tube and I am pleased with it although I have found it to be a hard learning curve and have a lot to learn yet but I do sympathise with folk who rey on mail order and are not happy. The petrol at the moment here is at its lowest price over here for years but folk from USA would be stunned at the price if they had to pay also the cost of stuff over here we pay in pounds what you guys pay in dollars.

Yikes! That seems to be the case all over the world. Mom and Pop Shops are out and Walmart is King. Unfortunate.

I still stand by my thought process while remaining open to new input.

I just came back from our local Mom and Pop music store. My 8 year old practically grew up in this store; what with me there every time something new came out. I can't imagine not being able to easily zip to The Haight Ashbury Music Center or Bananas or Fat Dogs and chopping it up with the shop keeps about music stuff. 

I feel for you guys!

yep, I guess I am pretty lucky too.  Got a great local store, Imperial Guitar and Soundworks, and a mid size online retailer Alto Music with 2 big locations within 30 minutes.  About 45 minutes to Guitar Center in NJ and if I want to make a day of it, a trip to NYC and a bunch of stores.  Even so I do most of my actual shopping on-line with Sweetwater...

yep, I guess I am pretty lucky too.  Got a great local store, Imperial Guitar and Soundworks, and a mid size online retailer Alto Music with 2 big locations within 30 minutes.  About 45 minutes to Guitar Center in NJ and if I want to make a day of it, a trip to NYC and a bunch of stores.  Even so I do most of my actual shopping on-line with Sweetwater...

Me too! I try to support the local shop as much as I can. Strings, picks, caring cases and the occasional sale item. It gets hard when you want to purchase big ticket items from them cause they just can't compete with the online market. No Taxes, no shipping, online discount codes. It's tough. Sweetwater is…well…Sweet!

If I lived in Whook Whook (any out of the way place) and the net was my only source I'd have to go by youtube shoot outs and the like to help make a purchasing decision, but more then likely I'd be influenced by the guitar music and gear forums I subscribed to

where hype is now an important marketing stratedgy.

A natural fan base creates a certain espirit de corps and gets confused as hype and as such a dirty word. You can think of plenty.

The user base if happy support their product with goodwill and defense. As in this thread KPA, Fractal etc

Some step over the line for lack of game claiming Mac is better then PC or Eleven Rack is better than the POD HD. Whom you mix with will have a bearing on what you consider cool. This is very valuable to any company. Some think they can artificially create it but it only exists based upon a contented user base.

Rivalry makes a game and is natural.  

Marketing hype is rah rah about a new product either about to be released or only recently released. This is hype and is a business model for some shall we say plugin producers and gets mistaken as how to Market a new line, "create hype around it".

It is easy to detect and is already a valid marketing method. Your employees join popular forums.

Each might have several login identies.

Login A says something, his alter ego login B might refute log A others join in as a thread develops and it only takes two users with 4 or more login accounts to completely get some Product X is the new cool. This may seem cynical but it exists more than is apparent. Don't be fooled and never base a purchasing decision on a forum.

Ask for recommendations and a bunch of products will get mentioned some of which you may not of known or could be worth checking out and demoing. Do proper demos of your product. AB them.

• Upvote 1