Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sound On Sound

rino2

I'm not really sure if this subject was alredy discussed.... I'm really new on HD500X and this forum so... pardon me!!!

the question is:

Can someone axplain what is the Sound-On-Sound tech.. and How to use it on Hd500x???

Thanks.....

Rino

NB.. NOTE ... I'm plain to use it with Acoustic Guitar

I haven't heard the term sound-on-sound for more than 20 years. Now it's called overdubbing. Back in the day it was a new technology developed for the world of analog audiotapes. Back then the average non-professional had affordable access to a stereo tape recorder. That's right - two recordable tracks on tape; no digital recording technology yet existed. Sound-on-sound magically let you record a mono track, then record a second track 'on' it by 'bouncing' both the original track and the new track onto the empty second track. That rendered the first track redundant, making it available to repeat the procedure and add a third track overwriting the original track, and then repeat indefinitely. Imagine - being able to overdub a theoretically unlimited number of tracks using a stereo machine. Of course, the end result was a mono recording with audio quality loss with each overdub, so in practical terms it was a muddy mess after a handful of tracks.... but still!!

In the HD500X the looper does the same thing, with no loss of audio quality.

True. I meant loss of quality with each layer of overdubbing. While using 1/2 speed results in loss of quality over full speed, there is no further loss of quality even in 1/2 speed with each iteration of overdubbing. It's the compounding of the quality loss in the original sound-on-sound that was a big problem with it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks....

Probably I have not explain very well....

I know what it Overdubbing and Looper... but Sound-On-Sound is different for me.... Maybe an example sound better....

Have you ever ear the acoustic <Shine On> make by Gilmour? Well... he use a "Sort of" SoS... he play the chord, make something (maybe open a long delay), freeze the chord... or better the delay sound .....and than play the solo, when chord change he repeat the sequence...

My original question is (if possible) how to .... without or better WITH the HD500x

Thanks anyway

Rino

Oh, ok... thats what I get for skimming and not actually reading.

Sorry about that

I have my own "organ" sound that I use.  It is a patch that has lots of sustained reverb with Leslie cab in the chain.  I use the volume pedal to swell in the sound. 

A split path "like the SOS" would be a good starting point.  I'll see if I can upload in the a day or so.  Not able too right now.

Thanks to all guys!!!

I have also learned how to use the A & B path..........

Just another little question.... in term of Tone difference between HD500 and HD500x.... What are the things to check or modify importing a 500 tone into a hd500x?