Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 - Yamaha press releases from NAMM

toasterdude

No new effects in 2.6. Any press release that mentioned effects is sadly a misprint. Sorry, guys.

It's in the fist paragraph of the pdf press release hurghanico has.

"with great-sounding new amp and effects models (sold separately), and also adds global EQ."

Last line of the paragraph.

Digital_Igloo, on 21 Jan 2015 - 3:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Sorry, guys. It's like herding cats around here today, for obvious reasons.

POD HD 2.6

• Global EQ—Three fully parametric bands plus low and high cut filters, available from an additional Setup menu page; we had to do quite a bit of clever optimization to fit Global EQ, and you might see a tiny bit of extra DSP for other blocks (a few percent perhaps)
  • Metal Pack ($49)—Peavey 5150 (block logo), Bogner Shiva, Remastered JCM800 (model 2204), plus favorite POD Farm models Insane, Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone
  • Vintage Pack ($49)—Orange OR-80, Roland JC-120, Fender Champ (Tweed), VOX AC30 Fawn Normal, VOX AC30 Fawn Bright, JC-120 cab, Fender Champ cab, plus POD Farm Acoustic
  • Bass Pack ($29)—Ampeg SVT Normal, Ampeg SVT Bright, Gallien-Kruger 800RB, SVT 8x10 cab, SVT 410 HLF cab
  • Fully Loaded ($99)—All three packs

We're hoping to have 2.6 available by the end of March for HD500X and HD Pro X, with support for HD500, HD Pro, and HD (Bean) shortly thereafter.

Another good reason to look forward to spring!

So if I understand the above list correctly, the actual firmware for 2.6 will be a normal firmware upgrade that includes a global EQ. There will also be model packs that can be purchased at additional costs (in different combinations of packs). Is that correct?

This is the first time since I've owned my HD500X (or any Line 6 gear) that there have been new amp models. The last 2 firmware releases I installed of course didn't have new amp models and were free updates. I guess I didn't realize that there would be a charge for the new amp models. That doesn't bother me, it just isn't what I expected and I want to make sure I understand correctly.

Also, if that's the case, does that mean newly shipping HD500X units will have all of that built in for the same price we've already paid, or will this not be included in newly shipped units, meaning new buyers still need to spend an extra $100 to get all of the models in the new packs if they want them?

As far as I can tell, the 2.6 firmware update adds the global EQ and makes the necessary adjustments to allow loading of the model packs.  Must be some recoding either to the firmware or the older POD models to allow them to be loaded and used.  I wonder if all the old amp models can then be used since the new firmware is compatible?  Especially since the Firehawk seems to be a melding of both HD and Amplifi coding...

I would not expect future units to ship with the model packs installed; they would still be an additional purchase.  This is the same procedure as with previous products and it seems to be a win win for both the customer and Line 6.

I personally am glad to see this as its something we have all been asking for ages.  Hopefully it works so well they are inspired to keep offering new model packs for effects and amps...  I know I can't wait to get the bundle...

Yeah, I've been wanting the 5150 for a long time, along with everyone else who I keep see posting about it (it's the model I primarily use on my Peavey Vypyr VIP II amp, and the only amp model that I've been missing since getting the HD500X), so I'll be happy to be able to buy it. I have some interest in the Orange amp, too, although not as much as the 5150.

very cool news!!..

since I could be interested in buying the Fully Loaded Bundle, I would like to know if the model packs new models are full HD or X3 quality..

I'm asking this because it seems a bit strange to discover only now that the HD500 has room to accomodate many new models..

why you have waited so long (years) to make them available?..

I was wondering the same. I hope I can keep my loved HD500. Don't wan't to update to 500x.

I might get the whole bundle even if I'm mainly interested in the vintage Pack. Is there an acoustic amp? :wub:

very cool news!!..

since I could be interested in buying the Fully Loaded Bundle, I would like to know if the model packs new models are full HD or X3 quality..

I'm asking this because it seems a bit strange to discover only now that the HD500 has room to accomodate many new models..

why you have waited so long (years) to make them available?..

Most likely because as time goes on, you can re-develop software to make it more efficient and use less memory and DSP. So witht he new Firmware they were most lileky to make gains in DSP and be able to load more modes. In other words the new firmware may have a new smaller footprint than the older version. Software is always an evolving thing.

Also, if that's the case, does that mean newly shipping HD500X units will have all of that built in for the same price we've already paid, or will this not be included in newly shipped units, meaning new buyers still need to spend an extra $100 to get all of the models in the new packs if they want them?

I doubt new units will ship fully loaded anytime soon, can't even imagine the outrage from users that paid for the upgrade.

But who knows? Maybe they'll run promos or something every now and then.

what you said above is what worries me

You said a mouthful there "H". When I first bought a UX2 and GearBox plus Model Packs I was worried 'cause I knew it would take me a while to figure out how to use it let alone troubleshooting it but in the end I was happy 'cause I took the time to really learn how to use it and I still use it all.

Metaphorically speaking a doctor cannot diagnose you with a problem if you have symptoms and don't recognize them, thus by the time the issue surfaces most of the time it's too late to do anything to fix it.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited by a couple of things highlighted here, but most of all the  Roland JC-120 amp! Yessss!

+1

The JC-120, the Vox AC-30 and the Fenders are my favourite real-life amps, so that vintage pack looks very appealing to me.

The Bass Pack also does. However, the heavy metal amplifiers do not interest me at all, though I think the Marshall JCM we had so far were not good enough. Too bad they do not make a discount by buying only two packs.

My gut reaction is to say I'd have little use for the vintage pack...but I have been surprised by the which of the current models I get the most use from, so who knows? And from the looks of it, the vintage pack has an acoustic amp model that I'm rather curious about, as dialing in a good acoustic patch with no amp model in the chain can be a Herculean task. So basically I'm already $100 poorer...lol

• Upvote 2

Metal Pack ($49)—Peavey 5150 (block logo), Bogner Shiva, Remastered JCM800 (model 2204), plus favorite POD Farm models Insane, Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone
    Vintage Pack ($49)—Orange OR-80, Roland JC-120, Fender Champ (Tweed), VOX AC30 Fawn Normal, VOX AC30 Fawn Bright, JC-120 cab, Fender Champ cab, plus POD Farm Acoustic
    Bass Pack ($29)—Ampeg SVT Normal, Ampeg SVT Bright, Gallien-Kruger 800RB, SVT 8x10 cab, SVT 410 HLF cab
    Fully Loaded ($99)—All three packs

1. Line 6 guys! You just f*#$%^& kidding? Right?

2. Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone? Who plays on that?

3. Please! Come to your senses.

• Downvote 1

Metal Pack ($49)—Peavey 5150 (block logo), Bogner Shiva, Remastered JCM800 (model 2204), plus favorite POD Farm models Insane, Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone

Vintage Pack ($49)—Orange OR-80, Roland JC-120, Fender Champ (Tweed), VOX AC30 Fawn Normal, VOX AC30 Fawn Bright, JC-120 cab, Fender Champ cab, plus POD Farm Acoustic

Bass Pack ($29)—Ampeg SVT Normal, Ampeg SVT Bright, Gallien-Kruger 800RB, SVT 8x10 cab, SVT 410 HLF cab

Fully Loaded ($99)—All three packs

1. Line 6 guys! You just f*#$%^& kidding? Right?

2. Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone? Who plays on that?

3. Please! Come to your senses.

Big bottom was requested a long time ago , during soldano era. Varaic'ed is Van Halens amp before 5150. and the rest of the amps are really nice for metal (except Octone that is different kind of beast) 

• Upvote 2

Big bottom was requested a long time ago , during soldano era. Varaic'ed is Van Halens amp before 5150. and the rest of the amps are really nice for metal (except Octone that is different kind of beast) 

Oh really? This lollipop remembers the pterodactyls. I had all on XT and try to forget.

Big Bottom is awesome in my Vetta II.  I'd love to have it in the HD500X.  I'll be purchasing all 3 packs.  I can't wait to try the 5150, JC-120, OR-80 and all of the bass models.

I, for one, think Line 6 knocked it out of the park with this news release.  Even if they announce a successor to the HD500X at the next trade show, I'll get my $100 worth of enjoyment well before it's available in the market.

Also, thanks for the global EQ. 

It seems Line6 insist on the "....EFFECTS MODELS...." included in the next upgrade........ It's clearly wrote on this site in the official document....

SO.... Any news about this new effects????

Digital Igloo has already said its a typo and is trying to get the document changed.

Most likely because as time goes on, you can re-develop software to make it more efficient and use less memory and DSP. So witht he new Firmware they were most lileky to make gains in DSP and be able to load more modes. In other words the new firmware may have a new smaller footprint than the older version. Software is always an evolving thing.

If I understand correctly, the DSP is more like computer RAM (temporary/active memory), but the firmware is stored in permanent storage memory (like a hard drive), and the amount of DSP available isn't directly related to how large the firmware file can be. So adding more models to be stored in permanent memory is different that being able to use DSP (active memory) more efficiently.

Dumble Overdrive Special model would be very nice (R. Ford, L. Carlton etc.)

You do know that is impossible, right. The Dumble tone can only be created in a real tube amp, the electrons can't survive in the crystal lattice of solid state silicone......... :P

Said by the master himself.

I believe the global EQ is a 3 band parametric EQ with high and low pass and is separate from your patch EQ modules.  It is basically applied to the output after your complete signal processing so you can make changes to suit the particular venue or environment you are playing at without changing each patch.

Digital_Igloo, on 21 Jan 2015 - 8:07 PM, said:snapback.png

No new effects in 2.6. Any press release that mentioned effects is sadly a misprint. Sorry, guys.

While I am all in for the new amps bundle I definitely hope they reconsider this later this year.  I know I am not alone in wanting newer, up to date overdrive models along with a polyphonic whammy or synth.  I would shell out for an HD overdrive/distortion pack.

I believe the global EQ is a 3 band parametric EQ with high and low pass and is separate from your patch EQ modules.  It is basically applied to the output after your complete signal processing so you can make changes to suit the particular venue or environment you are playing at without changing each patch.

That will be very useful. Cool! 

Thanks 

A long awaited feature for sure. I think many just use an MXR 10 band or similar externally.

While I am all in for the new amps bundle I definitely hope they reconsider this later this year.  I know I am not alone in wanting newer, up to date overdrive models along with a polyphonic whammy or synth.  I would shell out for an HD overdrive/distortion pack.

a good polyphonic whammy/detune would be great (even if it uses all fx dsp after the amp), as would a proper autowah!!! I would dump my wallet out for those two FX!

It seems Line6 insist on the "....EFFECTS MODELS...." included in the next upgrade........ It's clearly wrote on this site in the official document....

Just because I'm on my phone and it's difficult to track things down while at NAMM, could you PM me a link?

Thanks. :)