Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

new Yamaha Variax and other NAMM news

toasterdude

Well, we were going in the right direction in the evolution of the Variax line. From the original Variax, though the Variax 600, up through the James Tyler models, we were progressing. Now, I get the funny feeling the progress has stopped.  

Not sure. It is conceivable that this is just the first offering now that Yamaha is in the mix. I could see a release of something more Pro in the future.

I hope...

Rats! I was looking forward to trolling the internets looking for JTV deals. I am so wanting Line 6 to plant a firm foot in the high end quality gear category. This Variax offering falls well short of that. Seems they are more interested in shiny bells and whistles; Cool graphics for your phone editing software and being able to access the "cloud". I get it. 

Shiny is temporary because what is shiny today is dull tomorrow. But quality can last for a really long time!

I have seen plenty of JTV deals in the UK - pretty much everywhere has reduced the JTV range price from £1100 down to £659.  And that's not only on STOCK items but on pre-order too.  Seems like they are keen to shift existing JTV stock from distributors.

I have seen plenty of JTV deals in the UK - pretty much everywhere has reduced the JTV range price from £1100 down to £659.  And that's not only on STOCK items but on pre-order too.  Seems like they are keen to shift existing JTV stock from distributors.

Free Shipping?

What I'm wondering at this point, is if the JTVs are going to be discontinued. Are they? I think James Tyler himself is out of the picture as far as any continued input towards his models. I don't like Pacificas in general, and these new Variax's smell like Pacificas with Variax electronics. 

How about a report from NAMM attendees? Can we get some answers concerning these guitars? Can you find out the scoop on James Tyler?

Thanks.

What I'm wondering at this point, is if the JTVs are going to be discontinued. Are they? I think James Tyler himself is out of the picture as far as any continued input towards his models. I don't like Pacificas in general, and these new Variax's smell like Pacificas with Variax electronics. 

How about a report from NAMM attendees? Can we get some answers concerning these guitars? Can you find out the scoop on James Tyler?

Thanks.

The JTV guitars aren't going to be discontinued yet. Line 6 confirmed that on its Facebook page this morning, actually.

• Upvote 1

I built a Heathkit radio way back when... nice little kits for the DIY hobbyist..

Me too I built a 1KW rated ATU. They supplied a lot of kits for Radio Hams which I was quite active in the past. I am sure I could fit a kit to my Epi Les Paul which I have rewired with better pups anf 50's style Jimmy Page wiring

• Upvote 1

Just a side-note, the new variax standard will be much more readily transplantable than the 69s, as you don't need rerouting for the top-hat knob. Yep, it looks like a pacifica, but a cheaper price-point if you want to transplant, and much easier to do so.

$799 Variax Standard......vs......$999 JTV69? I guess it's worth waiting to see how the instrument plays and feels; $200 is still $200 last time I checked!.. I guess the build quality will be the key comparison; the Korean JTV vs the Indonesian 'Standard'!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxStdBurst

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JTV69S3TS

• Upvote 1

$799 Variax Standard......vs......$999 JTV69? I guess it's worth waiting to see how the instrument plays and feels; $200 is still $200 last time I checked!.. I guess the build quality will be the key comparison; the Korean JTV vs the Indonesian 'Standard'!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxStdBurst

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JTV69S3TS

It would have been nice to see a Variax in one of Yamahas signature line guitars as opposed to one of their budget lines. This is supposed to be the guitar that changes the game for guitarists. One that even the Pro's are considering. Seems like a step backwards to me. But this is the first offering. I hope there is a more "Pro" version on the horizon.

It would have been nice to see a Variax in one of Yamahas signature line guitars as opposed to one of their budget lines. This is supposed to be the guitar that changes the game for guitarists. One that even the Pro's are considering. Seems like a step backwards to me. But this is the first offering. I hope there is a more "Pro" version on the horizon.

And preferably something in between the budget version and the amusingly priced US JTVs...

I'm more curious about the neck (vs the 69) on the new ones than anything else, and whether or not it's better suited to those of us with hands larger than an Oompa-Loompa's. Don't see specs anywhere on the site yet.

I'm curious about the neck as well.  The neck on my JTV 69 is fairly thick and my Variax 500 neck is even thicker.  I'd love to see a profile similar to the PRS SE Custom 24.  That is, by far, the most comfortable neck of my 12 guitars.

The JTV guitars aren't going to be discontinued yet. Line 6 confirmed that on its Facebook page this morning, actually.

Yep but with Yahama owning them, althought I would not expect the JTV to be discontinued now. But once Yahama can get up a running with producing a Floyd option and LP type option, IMO it's inevtable that Yahama would take them over. Why I need to get one real soon!

And preferably something in between the budget version and the amusingly priced US JTVs...

$4000 for a guitar that's assembled in the US as opposed to assembled in Korea is far more than amusing! It's actually a bit insulting. "But…but, Tboneous…..The US model isn't assembled UNTIL you order it! That makes it CUSTOM!…And…and, you can get one in orange!" 

:huh: are you kidding me?

• Upvote 2

$4000 for a guitar that's assembled in the US as opposed to assembled in Korea is far more than amusing! It's actually a bit insulting. "But…but, Tboneous…..The US model isn't assembled UNTIL you order it! That makes it CUSTOM!…And…and, you can get one in orange!" 

:huh: are you kidding me?

Ignoring the modeling for the moment (on which L6 kinda has the market cornered), you can get a lot of guitar for $4K. And I don't mean any other manufacturer's definition of "custom" either. I mean a genuine one-of-a-kind instrument from a serious craftsman's little workshop somewhere. They are out there, more than you'd think...you just have to look. The line between "made to order" and "mass produced" is thinner than many people think.

• Upvote 2

Ignoring the modeling for the moment (on which L6 kinda has the market cornered), you can get a lot of guitar for $4K. And I don't mean any other manufacturer's definition of "custom" either. I mean a genuine one-of-a-kind instrument from a serious craftsman's little workshop somewhere. They are out there, more than you'd think...you just have to look. The line between "made to order" and "mass produced" is thinner than many people think.

Absolutely!!!

Just went to a Guitar expo in my neck of the woods and I played some of the most beautiful $3K-$4K and one $8K guitars. Spoke to the luthier. Got his take on why he made his guitar the way he did. He had ideas for a guitar for me based on how I played. How I held it. The whole 9 yards. You ain't getting that kind of love from Gibson or Fender.

Not saying that Fender or Gibson don't make fine instruments in the same price range but you better bet that I expect anything that is going to cost me $4K better not share a single component with it's Korean cousin. Else, I'll just purchase the Squire or the Epiphone or the Korean JTV and be done with it. 

For a $4K JTV, a brutha can't even get exclusive model packs? An extra knob or button? How about strap locks and an anvil case? 

Something other than getting to choose an Orange guitar

Not saying that Fender or Gibson don't make fine instruments in the same price range but you better bet that I expect anything that is going to cost me $4K better not share a single component with it's Korean cousin. Else, I'll just purchase the Squire or the Epiphone or the Korean JTV and be done with it.

For a $4K JTV, a brutha can't even get exclusive model packs? An extra knob or button? How about strap locks and an anvil case?

Something other than getting to choose an Orange guitar

Frankly, as with many other "classic" product lines, you're buying a name. Now that doesn't mean I don't like my 20 yr old Strat...I just think that the prices have become artificially inflated over time, in some cases to an absolutely comical extent. Brand recognition is what it is, and should never be underestimated...but half of what you're paying for is the name on the headstock. That just bugs me...but I digress.

And ORANGE, for Chrissake?!?!? On the Charger in the driveway, sure. Not in the guitar case...but that's just me, lol

Frankly, as with many other "classic" product lines, you're buying a name. Now that doesn't mean I don't like my 20 yr old Strat...I just think that the prices have become artificially inflated over time, in some cases to an absolutely comical extent. Brand recognition is what it is, and should never be underestimated...but half of what you're paying for is the name on the headstock. That just bugs me...but I digress.

And ORANGE, for Chrissake?!?!? On the Charger in the driveway, sure. Not in the guitar case...but that's just me, lol

You and me can be friends! I hear ya with the whole paying for the name. People also pay ridiculous amounts of money for old guitars as well. Your 20 year old Strat was built in the 90's so that doesn't count. But you get these guys tying themselves into a pretzel explaining why they just paid $$$$$ for a 1969 Strat. I mean really! It's a cool guitar and everything but I got a Mexican Strat that plays circles around it and it cost me $400!

Name recognition and old recognition commands a price because the consumer has drank the cool aid a bit on this one.

Then you got the Fender custom shop distressing their NEW guitars to look old and charging you $$$$$! That's like buying brand new pair of over priced designer jeans with factory holes in the knees!

I don't care about the name on the headstock nor do I care what country the guitar was made. Just gimme a guitar that feels good in these hands with a straight neck and good pickups and I'm good to go! And guess what? I have found a bunch of guitars that knock out my 3 requirements for well under $4000 and they ain't Orange!

• Upvote 4

Yeah; if I had $4,000 to spend on a guitar, I'd get a Myka!!

http://www.mykaguitars.com/

Maybe I'm not understanding the gripe. L6 is trying to establish the Variax in the lower price points with the same modeling as their $3500 guitars, so they can sell more and create a market for higher end models in the future.

So they have:

1. The $700 Variax Standard built in a decent quality lower end guitar(compare it to the 300/ 600- it's MUCH better)

2. The Korean JTV69/59/89 Variax for those who want a mid-range quality guitar(on par with $800-1500 guitars)

3. The JTV59/69/89 US for those who want a boutique quality, custom built quality guitar with the Variax option.

I think this gives the potential Variax buyer a range of products that would appeal to most. Honestly, I just bought a Chinese Epiphone G-400 Pro where the fit, finish, hardware and tone are easily the equal of most Gibsons that cost $1000-$1500. I would imagine the the Yamaha Variax when set up properly should be a reasonably good playing and sounding guitar. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm not understanding the gripe. L6 is trying to establish the Variax in the lower price points with the same modeling as their $3500 guitars, so they can sell more and create a market for higher end models in the future.

So they have:

1. The $700 Variax Standard built in a decent quality lower end guitar(compare it to the 300/ 600- it's MUCH better)

2. The Korean JTV69/59/89 Variax for those who want a mid-range quality guitar(on par with $800-1500 guitars)

3. The JTV59/69/89 US for those who want a boutique quality, custom built quality guitar with the Variax option.

I think this gives the potential Variax buyer a range of products that would appeal to most. Honestly, I just bought a Chinese Epiphone G-400 Pro where the fit, finish, hardware and tone are easily the equal of most Gibsons that cost $1000-$1500. I would imagine the the Yamaha Variax when set up properly should be a reasonably good playing and sounding guitar. Time will tell.

You do make a good point!

Line 6 wants to get as much of the guitar playing market as possible and this is probably a good move for them. NAMM is a very exciting time. We all wait eagerly to see the new goodies. To have a certain amount of pomp and circumstance surround an entry level guitar is just…meh! But I get it!

Line 6 has a history of producing beginners/bedroom player kind of low budget not very well made gear. When they introduced the DT series amps and the new Pod HD line along with the partnership with boutique guitar builder James Tyler, they sent a signal that they are going to make a strong move to shake off this low budget perception and cater to the Pros with high quality gear. I mean, so far so good. I love my Dream Rig (past issues notwithstanding).

Amplifi sort of took them back to the bedroom. Now this budget guitar. Not sure what Firehawk is. Sounds like great stuff to rock out with you headphones but not really intended for the stage. (I'm being very general here) I fear that this is the direction that is most important to Line 6 and us Pro players…well…No Soup For You! Unnecessary fear maybe, but it crosses my mind now and then.

Who goes to NAMM to check out budget stuff? I want to see the best of the best! 

So you are right! What's the gripe? The gripe is I am not a beginner guitarist and I wanted something a bit more "WOW" from Line 6. Basically, Line 6 didn't please ME! Can you believe that Sugar Honey Ice T?

I take my rig to gigs and people are blown away by my tone, blown away at how I effortlessly go from electric to acoustic and altered tunings. Then they are especially blown away that it is from Line 6! I love it and I want to keep blowing them away! But no one is going to be blown away by me showing up with no Pacifica! Nor am I going to pay $4000 for a Korean guitar that happens to be assembled in the US and painted Orange!

So they have:

Yeah, it's a move most expected after Yamaha bought Line6, was just a matter of time. It's actually quite a decent price point! Those JTV's were stuck at $1500 for a long time; now they are all at $999, across the board. I think the 'assembled in the USA' price tag of the US JTV's was a bit of a put off for the general market; for that matter, the $1500 JTV price was a bit steep for what it is; nice guitar and all, glad I got a price match on mine for basically what they are now selling them for everywhere.

What I think will be interesting to note; is how dealers, vendors, etc. handle the rather slim margin of price between the new Yamaha Variax, and the JTV's with the new lower price. $799 for the Variax Standard; $999 for the JTV's. $200 is a fair chunk of change, but compared to the over $2000 price jump from the Korean JTV's to the USA JTV's, it's a relatively slim margin.

I don't expect the JTV prices will go up, so I'd guess there will be some incentive for sales and such on both sides of that price gap.

For me, I don't really need a second Variax, though it would sure be cool! At at the $799 price, I feel like it's a touch more attainable than the $999 for another JTV. I guess the real comparison will be the build quality. Will the new Variax standard feel like an $800 guitar? Or will it be like the Roland GC-1, which is a $900 guitar that feels like it should cost $200... I actually bought one of those a few months ago, played it a couple times, and sent it back within the 30 days return period.. Did not like the feel of that guitar at all!

I take my rig to gigs and people are blown away by my tone, blown away at how I effortlessly go from electric to acoustic and altered tunings. Then they are especially blown away that it is from Line 6! I love it and I want to keep blowing them away! But no one is going to be blown away by me showing up with no Pacifica! Nor am I going to pay $4000 for a Korean guitar that happens to be assembled in the US and painted Orange!

The US JTVs aren't simply Korean guitars that are assembled in the US. All the woodworking is done in the US, and all the hardware is significantly upgraded. The necks on all the US models are quarter-sawn. The electronics and pickups are the same, but that's simply because it would make no sense to have separate electronics for the different models.

http://blog.line6.com/2010/james-tyler-variax-and-wildwood-manufacturing/

Whether or not you think it's worth the price they're asking is up to you, but don't make it sound like something it's not. I'd also say that difference in quality between a US version and a Korean is pretty evident as soon as you pick the guitars up.

I'm going to wait until I get a chance to play one to make up my mind.  It might end up having a nice neck and stay in tune really well.  If that's the case, and since the electronics are the same, there would be no real advantage, other than personal preference, to buy one of the more expensive models.  I've never played a Pacifica but I have played a few really nice Yamaha guitars.

You do make a good point!

Line 6 wants to get as much of the guitar playing market as possible and this is probably a good move for them. NAMM is a very exciting time. We all wait eagerly to see the new goodies. To have a certain amount of pomp and circumstance surround an entry level guitar is just…meh! But I get it!

Line 6 has a history of producing beginners/bedroom player kind of low budget not very well made gear. When they introduced the DT series amps and the new Pod HD line along with the partnership with boutique guitar builder James Tyler, they sent a signal that they are going to make a strong move to shake off this low budget perception and cater to the Pros with high quality gear. I mean, so far so good. I love my Dream Rig (past issues notwithstanding).

Amplifi sort of took them back to the bedroom. Now this budget guitar. Not sure what Firehawk is. Sounds like great stuff to rock out with you headphones but not really intended for the stage. (I'm being very general here) I fear that this is the direction that is most important to Line 6 and us Pro players…well…No Soup For You! Unnecessary fear maybe, but it crosses my mind now and then.

Who goes to NAMM to check out budget stuff? I want to see the best of the best! 

So you are right! What's the gripe? The gripe is I am not a beginner guitarist and I wanted something a bit more "WOW" from Line 6. Basically, Line 6 didn't please ME! Can you believe that Sugar Honey Ice T?

Who goes to NAAM to see budget stuff? Probably the majority of the music equipment retailers that attend the show and sell to the vast majority of players who don't gig... sorry that they didn't please you. BTW, you've already got their current top of the line, so I don't know what you expected. The next generation? I guess we'll all have to wait. I'm looking forward to it too.

Who goes to NAAM to see budget stuff? Probably the majority of the music equipment retailers that attend the show and sell to the vast majority of players who don't gig... sorry that they didn't please you. BTW, you've already got their current top of the line, so I don't know what you expected. The next generation? I guess we'll all have to wait. I'm looking forward to it too.

NAMM stands for National Association of MY Musicstuffs! Right?

Ok…You make a good point! The "MM" of NAMM is Music Merchants! I'm sure the merchants were licking their chops knowing that they will have a guitar that the lion share of their customer bass will gobble up post haste. NAMM is not intended for looky-loo guitar geek consumers like me! Though…"If I Were King Of The Forrrrrrreeeeessssstt!"

I have unrealistic expectations! What can I say? I wanted a guitar with Rocket Boosters and an espresso dispenser! Didn't you!?

The US JTVs aren't simply Korean guitars that are assembled in the US. All the woodworking is done in the US, and all the hardware is significantly upgraded. The necks on all the US models are quarter-sawn. The electronics and pickups are the same, but that's simply because it would make no sense to have separate electronics for the different models.

http://blog.line6.com/2010/james-tyler-variax-and-wildwood-manufacturing/

Whether or not you think it's worth the price they're asking is up to you, but don't make it sound like something it's not. I'd also say that difference in quality between a US version and a Korean is pretty evident as soon as you pick the guitars up.

Fair enough. Don't want to make the US guitars out to be something they are not! Never played one so I will take your word that they are the bomb dizzle! For $4K, they better be!

Don't agree that having different pickups doesn't make sense. I think in this case, it would make the most sense. But again, I speak not as a business person but as a guitar geek!

You and me can be friends! I hear ya with the whole paying for the name. People also pay ridiculous amounts of money for old guitars as well. Your 20 year old Strat was built in the 90's so that doesn't count. But you get these guys tying themselves into a pretzel explaining why they just paid $$$$$ for a 1969 Strat. I mean really! It's a cool guitar and everything but I got a Mexican Strat that plays circles around it and it cost me $400!

Name recognition and old recognition commands a price because the consumer has drank the cool aid a bit on this one.

Then you got the Fender custom shop distressing their NEW guitars to look old and charging you $$$$$! That's like buying brand new pair of over priced designer jeans with factory holes in the knees!

I don't care about the name on the headstock nor do I care what country the guitar was made. Just gimme a guitar that feels good in these hands with a straight neck and good pickups and I'm good to go! And guess what? I have found a bunch of guitars that knock out my 3 requirements for well under $4000 and they ain't Orange!

Lol...yeah, the whole faux-vintage thing baffles me. Let's build a brand new guitar, then take a belt sander and a ball peen hammer to it so that the guy who buys it can pretend it's old and has "character". Ford and GM should get in on this racket. Dig the specs for a '72 Pinto out of the archives, build a few and wrap 'em around telephone poles, add a little fake rust and bondo, and presto! A "distressed" classic...

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling that at some point they will make also a model with a maple fretboard.. and others models as well

probably at the moment they are testing the waters before jumping completely

Plus one on that. I was thinking of butchering an old variax and installing the gear into my favourite budget axe Pacifica 112 VMX YNS. If they release an axe with a Maple Fretboard and the Variax Hardware am totally sold!!!!! 

they have a JTV69 that fits the bill now....

maybe not what you meant... but didn't want that to be overlooked if the maple neck was your sole hold up.

Plus one on that. I was thinking of butchering an old variax and installing the gear into my favourite budget axe Pacifica 112 VMX YNS. If they release an axe with a Maple Fretboard and the Variax Hardware am totally sold!!!!! 

they have a JTV69 that fits the bill now....

maybe not what you meant... but didn't want that to be overlooked if the maple neck was your sole hold up.

It looks great!!! The Pacifica Style strats are an awsome guitar and well overlooked. Any one of the new series with a Maple Fretboard would be awesome. The JTV's are great.

I'm going to wait until I get a chance to play one to make up my mind.  It might end up having a nice neck and stay in tune really well.  If that's the case, and since the electronics are the same, there would be no real advantage, other than personal preference, to buy one of the more expensive models.  I've never played a Pacifica but I have played a few really nice Yamaha guitars.

+1 to that! Above all, it needs to play well, and stay in tune. Especially since it's modeling the tones of the guitar; it just needs to be a blank canvas.

I like playing my JTV59, but I also really like the scale and feel of my strat. Didn't like some specifics about the JTV69, never got one. This new entry remains intriguing. I like that they moved all the Variax controls to one spot on the guitar; I never liked the JTV69 layout with the rolling dial up on the top like that.

I had a Yamaha acoustic, did just fine for a number of years. It wasn't some pricelss heirloom guitar, it was a playing guitar, which got played out, dragged around, dinged and beat up, but still remained a nicely playable guitar with decent tone.

I can get behind the Standard idea; adding the Variax HD models to a reasonably decent quality core Yamaha instrument without the $1500 price tag. It's easy to overlook, since the JTV vs Standard prices are now only $200 apart, that for a considerable length of time, the JTV's held their ground at or around $1500.

Some sales here and there, rebates and such - but only after the NAMM announcement did all the retailers drop their JTV pricing down to the $999 mark.

• Upvote 1

+1 to that! Above all, it needs to play well, and stay in tune. Especially since it's modeling the tones of the guitar; it just needs to be a blank canvas.

I like playing my JTV59, but I also really like the scale and feel of my strat. Didn't like some specifics about the JTV69, never got one. This new entry remains intriguing. I like that they moved all the Variax controls to one spot on the guitar; I never liked the JTV69 layout with the rolling dial up on the top like that.

I had a Yamaha acoustic, did just fine for a number of years. It wasn't some pricelss heirloom guitar, it was a playing guitar, which got played out, dragged around, dinged and beat up, but still remained a nicely playable guitar with decent tone.

I can get behind the Standard idea; adding the Variax HD models to a reasonably decent quality core Yamaha instrument without the $1500 price tag. It's easy to overlook, since the JTV vs Standard prices are now only $200 apart, that for a considerable length of time, the JTV's held their ground at or around $1500.

Some sales here and there, rebates and such - but only after the NAMM announcement did all the retailers drop their JTV pricing down to the $999 mark.

It's all guesswork at this point. I like Strats, so I have no issue with the design, other than the lack of a mag humbucker in place of the bridge single coil, but that can be dealt with. However, I do think that they've alienated a lot of players with only one design. Maybe there are more coming, who knows...but the metal guys and LP fans are gonna walk right by this one. They still have the 59 and 89 to choose from, but for how long? Wouldn't surprise me if those are discontinued soon.

These new Variax's smell like Pacificas with Variax electronics. 

They sure look alot like Pacifica! I suppose that begs the question: how much are the Variax components of the guitar worth? Because this brand new Pacifica is $180... Bit of a stretch to turn a $180 guitar into a $799 guitar; or, perhaps the way of looking at it is, the HD Variax modeling portion is $619; the Yamaha guitar is $180; the combined price is $799??

I like the Variax and all; just don't have a lot of interest battling with a cheap less than $200 guitar, trying to get it tuned properly, or if it has playing related issues, neck, etc. Time will tell! 

519177000015000-00-750x750.jpg

Line_6_Variax_Standard_Tobacco_Sunburst.

so over at the Seymour Duncan booth guess what they chose for their sound system?  Line 6 Stagesource L2t's...  Nice!  BTW Nick Johnston is amazing, still trying to get his tone on the POD... anybody else already done it please share...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=833329700047011

Apparently using a Kemper...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=827058074007507&theater

They sure look alot like Pacifica! I suppose that begs the question: how much are the Variax components of the guitar worth? Because this brand new Pacifica is $180... Bit of a stretch to turn a $180 guitar into a $799 guitar; or, perhaps the way of looking at it is, the HD Variax modeling portion is $619; the Yamaha guitar is $180; the combined price is $799??

That was my question before, which model Pacifica is the Standard based on?  There are a number of different models from $199 to $1200 so we need to know.

Pacifica Models