Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500 - sound dies after a few seconds

This came on quite suddenly, initially I thought it was software-based, then PSU or footswitch.

After using the just fine guitar for about half an hour, the volume started to fade in and out, like a very slow tremolo. Doing the usual relaunch of software, jiggling plugs in sockets etc it came back, but only for a while. 

I then noticed the power light on the footswitch was fading in & out with the same frequency; so that got my attention for the next hour or so, trying to figure out whether the PSU or switch was dying.

Long story short… after a while it got so the power light would show up green for just a few seconds after plugging in, & for those few seconds I'd get sound, then it would fade out again.

I tried it on battery power - same thing, short period of sound, then quickly fades to silence.. rinse & repeat each time I unplug & replug.

So… it's the guitar itself, I'm guessing.

Does this sound like a capacitor is dying, or is it more serious?

Is it repairable, or do I need to start buying up what old bits of 500s I can from eBay & start stockpiling spares?

• 2 months later...

Hi

Just this morning I experienced the same thing with my variax 500. Lost my XPS power supply a month ago, ordered a new one and used batteries while waiting for new power supply. Received new power supply today, but experience the same problem as you describes. Still works well with batteries though.

Have you gotten any helpful answers or found a solution yourself?

Regards

Allan

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had the same problem after upgrading my Vax to higher version.  I solved it buying and using the XPS-DI box (power supply for Variax Bass).

It has more power and a little higher voltage. No problem has appeared after that fix.

The Variax electronics stop working if the supply goes below about 7V.  Make sure your TRS cable isn't suffering a problem since the power is sent on the ring of that cable.  If it runs on batteries, the other thing to check is the connection from the TRS jack on the Variax to the board.  It has to be a power issue.  The Variax board regulates the voltage down to the 5V it needs to run it's circuits but it needs almost 7V for the regulator to work properly.

• Upvote 1

Ach - serves me right for thinking that testing with a PP9V was going to be an accurate 'second opinion'.

If I put a meter on the PSU itself, it shows the voltage quickly drops to zero, over a few seconds.

Do you know how resilient the guitar input is to over-voltage? I have a stack of 12v 4000mA PSUs I use for work. I'm loathe to buy a new specific PSU for the Variax if I can get away with one of those for free.

Also - is the Variax PSU definitely centre pin + [looks to be on the meter, but it's gone so fast I'd rather be sure]

If it wouldn't stand it long-term but would be OK for a 5 min test, that would at least be sufficient to then get my hand in my pocket for a new PSU, after checking the guitar isn't as dead as rumour would have me believe :unsure:

The power supply that came with My Variax is AC. (the wall  wart piece)  The XPS box converts it to DC.  The Variax uses about 700mA at about 7V when running on batteries.  You could rig a 7-9 VDC supply for it if you know what you are doing. (Using the TRS cable)  The guitar regulates the voltage down to 5V anyway.  Don't ever give it the wrong polarity or you will smoke the diode protection circuit.  Lots of folks have done that by accidentally hooking the 9V battery pack up backwards.  I always make very sure that I match up the connector before hooking up the battery.  I use NiMh rechargeable batteries in mine and I always have a spare one ready to go.  I now use my JTV most of the time but I have used my 500 since they came out.  I don't even remember what year that was......

• Upvote 1

AC? Ahhh… that changes things, I guess.

I wasn't really aware of what the XPS box was doing.

Meter on the unloaded PSU shows 11.7V AC - but plugging it to the XPS box lights the ¼" green, but the red Power light only stays lit for a few seconds then dims. Push-pulling the power plug generates blips on the red light but nothing more

Trying to get the meter on the TRS jack gives a brief DC voltage, probably not long enough for an accurate measurement, then drops back to zero.

As I don't know how to actually measure the voltage from the PSU when under load, I'm now unsure whether that would point the finger at PSU or XPS as being at fault.

Is there any way I can eliminate one or the other as being possible source, with limited resources- i.e., a multi-meter & little prowess with it - short of finding a spare of each?

TRS looks fine. Tested end to end, no short, no open circuit.

I cleaned all contacts again, right the way through - now I'm back to something closer to my initial symptom...

I get a green light on Power when the guitar's plugged in - but it's fading in & out [quickly through red to off & back] at about once a second, sound comes & goes with it, more off than on, just a pulse.

I've sprung for a new PSU. If it turns out to be the XPS, that's going to be less easy to get hold of a spare...

• 1 month later...

So - 6 months almost to the day on this miserable saga...

My new XPS box eventually arrives...

.. & is not the fix either.

Identical symptom to before, light goes red/green/red… sound comes & goes in time with the light.

The power supply that came with My Variax is AC. (the wall  wart piece)  The XPS box converts it to DC.  The Variax uses about 700mA at about 7V when running on batteries.  You could rig a 7-9 VDC supply for it if you know what you are doing. (Using the TRS cable)  The guitar regulates the voltage down to 5V anyway.  Don't ever give it the wrong polarity or you will smoke the diode protection circuit.  Lots of folks have done that by accidentally hooking the 9V battery pack up backwards.  I always make very sure that I match up the connector before hooking up the battery.  I use NiMh rechargeable batteries in mine and I always have a spare one ready to go.  I now use my JTV most of the time but I have used my 500 since they came out.  I don't even remember what year that was......

It's my understanding that when matching power supplies the voltage always has to be the same and the current's amperage can be the same or higher. Never lower (I have seen this. Lower is bad)

More sago to add the saga - I've found an entire 500 electronics structure in a failed DIY project for sale on eBay - will see if swapping components in the guitar itself improves things...

… otherwise I guess it's time to go for a new JTV - with all the added effort of setting it all up just how I like it, rather than the existing 500 which I got right 10 years ago.

I have to admit I didn't really like the 500 to play when I first got it - I grew up on Strats of various qualities/ages - but I did manage to set it just right with not too much work.

Same problem here - volume fading in-and-out behaviour has been happening on-and-off for a few months now with my Variax 500, but today I only get a couple of seconds of sound out of the guitar before it disappears :-(

@ Tetsujin - keep us up-to-date if you make any progress with your investigations... I'm quite fond of my 500 too!

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

My eventual solution was swapping out the main logic board, from the bag of bits I bought on eBay.

I've had no issues since.

I now have a spare everything - except another logic board, of course - the bag of bits was a complete set of electronics from a Variax 500.

• 4 years later...

Not sure whether it’s too late for you guys as I just saw this thread. 

I owned a 500 and a 600.  With the 500, same sound faded out and sometimes in-and-out, especially using the XPS. Eventually I fixed the problem by spraying WD40 over the entire circuit board and all switches (you need to spray a lot like soaking it with WD40). It’s been over a year and still working good no matter with battery or the XPS. 

With the 600, no sound with battery or XPS. I did the same trick by spraying WD40 on the mode selector (soaking with WD40) and the same miracle happened.  

If the faulty 500 still with you guys, it’s worth to give it a try as i worked for me. 

• 2 years later...

I GOT IT… I think.

Well, to put at least a temporary close on this...

6 years later, I'd found someone with the necessary chops to have a look at this.

In preparation for shipping it off I cleaned it down & thought I'd give it one last shot. Put a battery in, mono jack - it worked.

I spent the rest of the day trying to track down just what power supply issue this hinted at - something on the switching between battery & mains...

I cleaned it all to within an inch of its life, half a can of contact cleaner later.

IT WORKS AGAIN.

Been playing it all day, no fails so far.

Let's see how it goes.