Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cracked DT50 112 Cab

illini19

While transporting my DT50, which was wrapped very well, I was saddened to see that the top left corner of the cab split front to back.

I want to get it fixed obviously and have reached out to some authorized Line 6 dealers in the area. Waiting to hear back.

Wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with this and wondering the cost, process.

Thanks!image.jpgimage.jpg

Wow...Never seen anything quite like that on an amplifier...Looks almost pulled apart...What the heck happened...

You might try calling Line 6 HQ and seeing if they can hook you up with a replacement cabinet...Not sure what that would cost...But they might give you some options...

Anyway, I have repaired a couple of cedar chests that split like this from water damage (warped apart)...I would do something like this myself...mainly because I have the long trigger clamps you need to repair something like this...

Try not to move it very much...Carefully remove the amp from cabinet...

I think I would use Gorilla Glue for this...You have about 5-10 minutes to work with it before you need to start getting this seated...

Two long trigger clamps

4 2x4 blocks that go back to front to clamp on

Fill the gap with glue...use a small brush to make all surfaces are well coated...Doesn't need to be super thick...but it does not really matter too much...

Clamp from top to bottom and from side to side on top...edge of a table or a stair step would probably work...

position the clamps work the clamps together a little at a time making sure it closes squared...do it slowly from both directions and it should seat back to original position...

once it seats...clamp as tight as you can...or add two or four more clamps...

make sure you have a damp cloth to remove the excess glue as it squeezes out..

leave it for 24-48 hours...take off the clamps...vinyl repair kit to fix the tolex seam...if it even needs it...edge glued from the bottom...might be fine...

If you do not know how to do this sorta stuff...take the amp out of the box carefully and find a carpenter or handyman...that isn't a hard repair and should only cost about an hour of labor IMHO...

• Upvote 1

Thanks spaceatl....great post. What happened...well I would love to find out as well. Let 's just say the damage wasn't caused by me. I've sent the photos to some authorized Line 6 service and a couple responded saying they talked to Line 6 and a new Cab would take 6-8 weeks since it's a special order item and could run anywhere from $200-$350 to replace. Someone did say they would try and repair it for $100-$200 but have no idea how it would look as the seam may show pretty well.

I wish you were closer to me. I'm guessing you are somewhere in the South - Atlanta or Alabama. Run up to Chicago and assist. I'll take care of you...especially if you golf :-)

I've never taken the amp out of the Cab but am willing to try and see if one of my wood working buddies can go to work on it. I guess I'll be watching some youtube videos and reading on how to get the amp out. It hasn't moved since I took the wrapping off it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hit me up if you are coming north anytime soon.

Hi,

To remove the amp from the chassis, here is what I would do:

1). Unplug the speaker cable from the rear (the 1/4" jack connection), simple.

2). Lay the amp down, front facing down.

3). If you remove the 4 bolts from the top of the amp, the chassis should become free of the cabinet. I would have a pair of hands hold the chassis in place while the second pair of hands removes the bolts, just to make sure all is well.

4). Assuming the chassis is freed and will come out of the cabinet, then take care not to touch any exposed circuitry inside the chassis, there could be stored electric charges in there with regard to the power supply area.

Removing the chassis should be fairly easy, just go slow, take care, and also take care not to drop tools/etc. on the speaker (its backside) while working with the chassis in the cab.

Hope this helps!

Edit: You might want to remove the speaker from the cab to keep it safe while the cab repairs are going on. Should also be simple to remove and reinstall.

While transporting my DT50, which was wrapped very well,

The question I would raise is >>> If it broke like that, the fall may have weaken the rest of the cabinet considerably it's just that you can't see it.....yet. Hope you get it fixed!

The question I would raise is >>> If it broke like that, the fall may have weaken the rest of the cabinet considerably it's just that you can't see it.....yet. Hope you get it fixed!

Thought about that Brazzy and let's hope not. I have not touched the amp since I took it out of the box. Sitting in the same spot. Once I get the amp out we will see. Fingers crossed. Ughhhh

Thought about that Brazzy and let's hope not. I have not touched the amp since I took it out of the box. Sitting in the same spot. Once I get the amp out we will see. Fingers crossed. Ughhhh

I hear Ya!! Here's to thinking positively :) Wish Ya the Best!!

I think that with a good two part epoxy and some heavy duty clamping it will be strong as an ox. Its really the PITA (& heartbreaking) that comes with the damage. I am hoping that when joined and clamped like a mofo any seam will be near invisable.

On the plus side at least the internals are good as its tough to fix those with glue :)

Good Luck and I hope the fix is perfect!

Bill

I think that with a good two part epoxy and some heavy duty clamping it will be strong as an ox. Its really the PITA (& heartbreaking) that comes with the damage. I am hoping that when joined and clamped like a mofo any seam will be near invisable.

I like to call them "battle scars" which add character to the piece, lol. I laugh but I'm serious :) as nothing that stays looking new hasn't seen much use at all. If that were mine I would glue it good and call it Frankenstein after adding a real stitch to that seam. I've done it in the past with lots of things and end up with people wanting to pay a good price for whatever it is I stitched up, lol. Sounds stupid but it worked Hahahaaa.

For this I would drill it appropriately and stitch it with heavy stainless safety wire.

Frankie.JPG?psid=1

Edited by Brazzy

I like to call them "battle scars" which add character to the piece, lol. I laugh but I'm serious :) as nothing that stays looking new hasn't seen much use at all. If that were mine I would glue it good and call it Frankenstein after adding a real stitch to that seam. I've done before with lots of things and end up with people wanting to pay a good price for whatever is I stitched up, lol. Sounds stupid but it worked Hahahaaa.

Hey Brazz-meister! I hear-ya I have a few repaired headstocks and a few with some wood missing - sometimes when "the bloom is off the rose" the real fun can begin :)

BTW - yes I use guitar stands all the time now - lesson learned!

-B

• Upvote 1

sometimes when "the bloom is off the rose" the real fun can begin :)

I hear ya when something is so new that ya get all prude about it, things get too tense which takes the fun out of it. Buy finally when the newness wheres off the fun begins!! Bust the Cherry and have a Ball!!

Ha, thanks boys. Yes none of any of our gear better look "new". The nicks and scratches and worn out gear does add character and the good gear always sounds perfect and holds up. This on the other hand is a bit different. Doesn't have to look perfect but at lead something better than what it is now :)

That amp is pretty special. It's not your normal Line 6 DT50 112. I'll explain once I get it fixed.

• Upvote 1

That amp is pretty special. It's not your normal Line 6 DT50 112. I'll explain once I get it fixed.

I can't wait Maaaaaaaaaan!!!!!! LOL I recently had to send Line 6 my 13 month old DT50 Head which quit working and I can't wait to get it back 'cause it just sounds so sweet in stock form, lol. Patience is a virtue.....right??? hahahahaaa

Thanks egkor...I appreciate it. I send my buddy, who is a woodworking expert, the photots and he says it's very doable. Just worried about the Tolex and if we can repair well enough so it's not noticeable and seamless. We will give it a go.

Once the box itself is fixed, try patching it first with a vinyl repair kit, but you you might have to recover the whole thing. I did it a couple of years ago with an old and much loved Marshall Silver Anniversary 4x12 which was falling apart after years of being shoved in and out of vans. It's a lot of sanding once you get the tolex off to get rid of the old glue, but it's doable.

Got the new tolex here: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-colors