Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No sound to speaker on Spider Valve MkII

pmsaari

I've been using my Spider Valve MkII HD100 head for four and a half years at rehearsals and live on stage, usually running it through a 4x12" Marshall speaker. After weeks of tweaking I finally got "my" sound out of it, and the fact is I got it to sound really, really great. Through these years it was the most reliable tool, never letting me down even once in all this time.

The other day I turned the amp on to rehearse and there wasn't any sound through the speaker outputs. Some days earlier it worked just fine and no one had touched it. The digital part of it worked perfectly, it works as a POD through the line output this is. Off course I've tried with various cables and speaker cabinets and also other amp heads with the cabinets. I did a factory reset, checked the two fuses on the back, but didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone know what it could be? Has any had the same problem with these amps?

Peace.

/ PM

I have had the exact same experience tonight at my last rehearsal!

Played my Spider Valve MKII HD100 2 weeks ago at a gig, speaker out was working fine no problem at all.

Tonight no sound what so ever :/

Direct out is working fine just all my speaker outputs are gone.

Is there a separate fuse or something for this output?

Any one shed any light on this?

Cheers

C.

4.5 years...So have you ever changed your tubes? If you have never changed your tubes, I tend to think this is what you should consider checking out...When they go...It is instant and no sound at all...If any of the tubes look like they have a white fog on the inside of the glass, that would be a blown one...

I had the same issue when a power tube blew in my SVMK2....Even though both rear fuses were fine, there are two more fuses inside on the power amp PCB...One is for the plate and the other is for the heaters...On mine the plate fuse blew when the tube did and neither rear fuse blew...It's additional protection...I have the combo, so with the head I think you might have two of each fuse type (plates and heaters)...They are pretty easy to find once you get the amp out of the box...just make sure you match the values...

Thanks. I gave up at an early stage and had my amp fixed and right on - It was a power tube that had blown and with it a fuse inside the amp. I was also told that some sort of chip in the amp also had blown but I'm really not sure it blew at the same time, or when they were working with the amp, or even if it blew at all. Anyway it works now, just need to get it to rehearsals to crank it up properly hoping to get the sound I got out of it with the old tubes (off course they changed all the power tubes). Yea, it's really weird but I really got such a great tone with those 4,5 year old tubes.