Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yamaha Variax left handed ?

laxtlo

Of course the new Yamaha Variax must be available lefty, they're pushing it with the tag line "Now every guitarist can break the rules" I just want to know what colours are available lefty, Well done Line 6 for leading the line against discrimination. We live in a world where (quite rightly) every building has to have disabled access when maybe 1 in 250 will need that access, now admittedly the percentage of left handed guitarists is far far higher than that, but even so Line 6 should be applauded for being inclusive unlike many other companies who couldn't care less about left handed people and would quietly prefer they didn't exist (imagine an architect wishing disabled people didn't exist)

So I extend a huge thank you from all the lefties who thought you had forgotten them, Just when lefties think they're of no value, an "annoying bad smell that won't go away" if you like Line 6 come up with a heart warming "Now every guitarist can break the rules" Bravo (...yeah right!)

• Upvote 4

Of course the new Yamaha Variax must be available lefty, they're pushing it with the tag line "Now every guitarist can break the rules" I just want to know what colours are available lefty, Well done Line 6 for leading the line against discrimination. We live in a world where (quite rightly) every building has to have disabled access when maybe 1 in 250 will need that access, now admittedly the percentage of left handed guitarists is far far higher than that, but even so Line 6 should be applauded for being inclusive unlike many other companies who couldn't care less about left handed people and would quietly prefer they didn't exist (imagine an architect wishing disabled people didn't exist)

So I extend a huge thank you from all the lefties who thought you had forgotten them, Just when lefties think they're of no value, an "annoying bad smell that won't go away" if you like Line 6 come up with a heart warming "Now every guitarist can break the rules" Bravo (yeah right!)

"..1 in 250 will need that access, now admittedly the percentage of left handed guitarists is far far higher than that..."

I seriously doubt that, Flanders... :P  Though I do sympathize with your plight.

Much props for the biting sarcasm...lol

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think the lefty's have got a much better chance now that Yamaha own Line 6. They have a lefty Pacifica, and the new Standard business model would be more likely to work for Lefty's. I think you have a decent chance of having a lefty Standard by the end of the year (they'd need a new board to be manufactured, as well as the pots/switches reversed so there's some work to be done) but my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a lefty, but learned righty because I didn't want to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a special order (I was16yrs old).

On the one hand, I wish I would have learned lefty, on the other hand playing righty is convenient because chances are, if there's a guitar laying around, it is right-handed, on the other hand . . .

never mind, I'm outta hands.

• Upvote 1

Many lefties learn to play a right handed guitar upside down.  My cousin plays that way.  If it were me, I would modify the guitar to pay left handed.  The Variax is not a high volume product in the first place so I am sure that they would lose money if they made a left handed model special. 

Some lefties play right handed guitar upside down - Hendix could, Albert King, Otis Rush, lollipop Dale and Doyle Bramhall II

And many left handers just play right handed - does seem to have caused too many problems for Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler, Danny Gatton, Billy Corgan, Michael Bloomfield, Gary Moore, Tony Iommi, Joan Jett, Steve Morse and Noel Gallagher.

Don't know what you are complaining about

Says a right handed player.... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some lefties play right handed guitar upside down - Hendix could, Albert King, Otis Rush, lollipop Dale and Doyle Bramhall II

And many left handers just play right handed - does seem to have caused too many problems for Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler, Danny Gatton, Billy Corgan, Michael Bloomfield, Gary Moore, Tony Iommi, Joan Jett, Steve Morse and Noel Gallagher.

Don't know what you are complaining about

Says a right handed player.... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Lol... can't be too careful.

I'm left-handed, well at least I write with my left hand, but I play right-handed. I also throw a ball right-handed, and use right-handed scissors. So I guess technically I'm ambidextrous. Anyway, this is sort of a timely thread to me. I was talking to a friend over the weekend, and she told me her 6 year-old daughter, who is left-handed, was interested in guitar. Her son's guitar teacher told her that she should definitely start with a left-handed guitar. I actually recommended that she at least try starting with a right-handed guitar and only go to a left-handed one if it felt completely unnatural for her. I told her it would make her life a lot easier in the future.

Guitars are actually somewhat of an anomaly in the stringed instrument world. You very rarely hear of people playing a left-handed cello or violin. There is a very small percentage, but basically left-handed kids are taught to play right-handed.

I know none of this actually is helpful to people who do play left-handed guitars... So, yeah, feel free to ignore my rambling. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom line Line 6 could but won't because they don't care.

I don't think it has anything to do with caring. It has everything thing to do with whether or not it's worth their investment of time and money in something. If they could do it and make money, they'd be foolish not to do it. It seems pretty obvious, though, that they think it would be a money-losing endeavor.

it might be simple in the context of just flipping the guitar body... CNC machines and all that...

but this isn't a typical guitar, the electronics would need to be re-engineered to accommodate the new location of controls etc.

i don't know if they will or won't... if they plan to.. or don't....

i just know that claiming it's "simple" is an overstatement.

I don't think it has anything to do with caring. It has everything thing to do with whether or not it's worth their investment of time and money in something. If they could do it and make money, they'd be foolish not to do it. It seems pretty obvious, though, that they think it would be a money-losing endeavor.

well they made a series 500 when the variax first came out so it can be done and no nothing special as far as the electronics is required. they skipped us on the JT model and I am guessing because it was a more expensive guitar. Now that Yamaha is building the guitar and has and still makes left handed models (one being the model used for the variax) I see no reason to not make them. More and more guitar companies make left handed models for players so the the excuse that it does not pay or is not profitable is BS. Schecter makes tons of left handed models and they make money from them as do Fender, Epiphone, EVH and many other guitar manufactures. It all depends on if the company in this case Line 6 care to make there product for left handed players. It seems as though Line 6 does not and that is a shame because I and many others would be very interested in this new model especially since it looks like the guitar may be priced more affordable.

well they made a series 500 when the variax first came out so it can be done and no nothing special as far as the electronics is required. they skipped us on the JT model and I am guessing because it was a more expensive guitar. Now that Yamaha is building the guitar and has and still makes left handed models (one being the model used for the variax) I see no reason to not make them. More and more guitar companies make left handed models for players so the the excuse that it does not pay or is not profitable is BS. Schecter makes tons of left handed models and they make money from them as do Fender, Epiphone, EVH and many other guitar manufactures. It all depends on if the company in this case Line 6 care to make there product for left handed players. It seems as though Line 6 does not and that is a shame because I and many others would be very interested in this new model especially since it looks like the guitar may be priced more affordable.

Well, again, if there's enough perceived demand, I imagine Line 6 will make one. I just don't know if there will be or not. Those other guitar companies probably sell orders of magnitude more guitars than Line 6. They have extensive product lines with products at a bunch of price points, and even those companies have very limited selections of left-handed guitars. Fender doesn't make left-handed version of every guitar in its catalog. The market for them just isn't there. I also think that because of the electronics in the Variax, it makes making a left-handed version a lot more complicated. They would basically have to produce a mirrored version of the electronics for a left-handed instrument. That's a totally different thing than simply wiring a traditional electric guitar.

it might be simple in the context of just flipping the guitar body... CNC machines and all that...

but this isn't a typical guitar, the electronics would need to be re-engineered to accommodate the new location of controls etc.

i don't know if they will or won't... if they plan to.. or don't....

i just know that claiming it's "simple" is an overstatement.

True. All they need to do for the piezos is switch them around though. For the knobs, obviously that's a different story. Maybe if they weren't mounted onto the electronic boards, but I don't know if they are or not.

I hope it comes out with one lefty even if it is a 4 week wait, direct order. if these are based off a common yamaha pacifica template, why cant they do a run and see.

Maybe its too small a market, if so its too bad.

Seems to route a few bodies is all thats needed, as the necks and everything is already made for Leftys at Yamaha for the Pacifica type models.

If not buying a Lefty Pacifica and installing the L6 Variax gear might be a modders- challenge.

I will go back to my original statement, they don't care bottom line and thats ok I guess. I hear all the arguments of cost, and profit line, ect and they may be right. All I know if that being a left handed guitar player you do a lot of searching for guitars, mods and ways to get what we want. I had found a great place when the first series of variax guitars came out where people were doing transplants and mods to create the guitar they wanted, the parts were the same for the electronics and for the bridge I went out and got an aftermarket one to create my transplant variax. Its just a shame that as left handed guitar players I have seen other companies finally come around and offer left handed versions of guitars for us yet the mighty line 6, who claim to be innovators won't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's all speculation... they've never said that they wouldn't.... they simply havent... and we're speculating on the reasons why...

at one point i think it was even said in a forum post by someone at Line6 that they were working on a lefty...

that was quite a while ago... and it just hasn't happened.

hope it works out for you eventually...

all of us here are just trying to make sense of it... we honestly don't know any more than you do...

I will go back to my original statement, they don't care bottom line and thats ok I guess. I hear all the arguments of cost, and profit line, ect and they may be right. All I know if that being a left handed guitar player you do a lot of searching for guitars, mods and ways to get what we want. I had found a great place when the first series of variax guitars came out where people were doing transplants and mods to create the guitar they wanted, the parts were the same for the electronics and for the bridge I went out and got an aftermarket one to create my transplant variax. Its just a shame that as left handed guitar players I have seen other companies finally come around and offer left handed versions of guitars for us yet the mighty line 6, who claim to be innovators won't.

Companies don't stay in business by "caring"  they stay in business by making a profit.  Yes they have to have satisfied customers but they have to make the right decisions about what to produce and who to market to.  The solution to lefties is to get their guitar modified.  It can be done.

I wonder if it really matters that the Variax portion is 'reversed' for the left handed guitar?

For example, the Shuriken guitars incorporating the Variax tech - those are going to be using the existing variax "guts" - they specifically state that "left hand models will be available at no extra charge".

That would imply that the design of the guitar and layout can, for whatever reason, support a reversal of the technology without requiring a special build of the Variax portions.

I would guess you just spin it around, and figure out how to make the knobs and wiring harness all make sense. Won't be an easy switch, but apparently someone is thinking about how to do it... 

Would be nice for the lefty's among us to be able to get a proper lefty Variax for less than $4k! But does make a person wonder.

You figure, the JTV59 uses different variax guts from the JTV69 - the alt tuning selector is totally different. And the yet to be released 'Variax standard' seems to merge the two - it has the JTV59 alt tuning selector positioned among the volume, model and tone knobs - yet has the full 5-way blade model selector instead of the toggle three-way JTV59 selector.

So, it seems there is some amount of configuration options ,even within the 'standard' options.

Charlie on the spot. Correct.

ColonelForbin,.. the Shuriken guitars would have to do it the way Charlie says it.

I know, I've done it. 

As for 59 vs 69, the board is the same, It's the program that's different.  

No "Zap",... the controls stay the same.

I think the controls are not connected to the board.  I think they have wires that go to a connector.  They could be relocated without changing the board.  Many lefties just replace the nut and restring. (Intonation needs to be adjusted too of course)  The body is then just upside down which isn't ideal but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't just flip the strings around on a variax.  the computer inside knows which string is which for the alt tunings and 12 string instruments.  I bought the variax 500 lefty the moment they released it.  I would have bought a JTV in lefty if it was possible.  I will be getting a Standard if they end up releasing a lefty.  I still play my 500 all the time.  I don't care about the magnetic pickups so much as the higher quality of the modelling especially the 12 string models and acoustics.

You can easily flip the piezo wiring around when you flip the strings around.  Easy to do.  You can pop the wires out of the connector and change the order.

Really? I thought they were soldered on.  Maybe this was on the old Variaxs.  So if I did get a JTV, I would just have to change the order of the piezos, nut and restring it?  Very tempting.  

There is a connector that connects the Piezo signals to the main board.  That is an easy place to flip the connections.  It was a bit harder on the 500 because they used a flex circuit to run the piezo signals to the main board.  That one would have required some soldering skills.  Somewhere on this board there is a picture of the board and connector so you can see what I am talking about.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I raised the following ticket with Line 6, thought it would be useful to share. I'm sure you'll agree that this is a quite pitiful level of customer service:

June 15th (email from me)

Hi, I am a left handed guitar player, I own a pod HD500 and an L3t speaker. I want to own a Variax but this is currently not a possibility. However, I know a very good luthier who has carried out previous Variax transplants and is willing to give it a go on my guitar. I believe you are selling the kits to Shurikan guitars in Oz and they do left handed guitars too. My questions are: 1. Do you have a similar set up in the UK with a luthier 2. Would it be possible to supply the innards only. I am happy for the warranty to be void from the outset - I know that Shurikan will make left handed guitars at no extra cost so please don't tell me it is not possible (as you have when I have asked previously) 3. If neither of those is possible, will there ever be a left handed Variax available and if so will it be a premium product or based on budget Yamaha guitars? Cheers Ben

June 16th (response from line6)

Dear customer,

Thank you your request

We're sorry but the Variax are only produced as right-hand models

(No left-handed versions planned)

If luthiers do modifications it will run under their own responsibility :

Line 6 does not support the customization or modification of Line 6 products, outside of official firmware updates or hardware upgrades performed by an authorized Line 6 service center. Unsupported customizations or modifications of your Line 6 device will void the device's warranty !

Best regards,

Technical Support

Line 6 Support Europe

June 16th (reply from me)

Hi. You've not answered my questions. Please answer them. I already know the answer you have given me. Please take the time to read my request and respond appropriately. Don't fob me off with a 'cut and paste' response. I intend to buy a Helix when they come out and have spent thousands on line 6 products over the years. Do not treat me like a number.

'Now every guitarist can break the rules' - this is your strap line for the new variax standard is it not? This is a violation of the trade description act unless of course you change it to 'now every guitarist can break the rules except for 10-15% of the population who happened to be left handed'. If you only have template responses to choose from. Please pass this up the line to a human being who can make a decision. Your initial response is infuriating. Like I said I would like to buy a helix when they come out but make no mistake I am seriously looking at Kempler and Axe Fx too.

As of today (June 20th), I've had no further response. It beggars belief that the customer service at Line6 is so utterly woeful. Sorry fellow left handers, looks like we are still being ignored by Line6. It's a total disgrace

Fortunately I also got this reponse from Shurikan Guitars who will make guitars to whatever spec you want:

Hi Ben,

Line 6 don't sell the brains direct to public. I am in the midst of setting up Shuriken Guitars which will cater for left handers. Stay tuned...

Sounds promising!