Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions About New Upcoming Firmware

videoman77

The new firmware sounds like its going to be great!  I have a couple questions though...if any Line6 Ops are in the forum today:

1. Amp Models:  

• Some of these models look like the same ones that are already on there?  
  • If purchased, will this add to the existing amps or overwrite them?
  • Are there corresponding cabs?
  • Why is there only two guitar classes?  Metal and Vintage?  What about modern amps like bad cats, jackson amp works, matchless?​

2.  Global EQ:

• Why is Global EQ the most requested?
  • Seems to me that each amp and cab and mic placements are different from patch to patch, what good is a global eq setting?

3. Effects:

• Are there any additional effects?

Thats all i have at them moment :-)

I'm no L6 employee, but as far the EQ goes, I would think the idea is to implement it as a "room corrective" EQ where you have patches that sound great in your cab, but not necessarily in every space, so if you get in a room that's boomy, you can cut some lows from the overall output, or if you're back-lining into an unfamiliar cab that might be harsher than what you're used to, you can cut some highs/mids.

I think Digital Igloo said NO EFFECTS are being added/made available (at least not right now), and that that part of the press release was a typo.

• Upvote 1

I wish we had a larger signal chain.  Ability to move the amps around the chain...not move things around IT.  Make the looper optional in the signal path, not using a slot up.  But global eq isn't really much of a factor for me...at least i think LOL  maybe i'll find out.

I don't have access to the original PDF press release, but I believe that there will be a few new cabs to go with the amps.. the JC in particular.

No new effects.. it seems (as many have pointed out) that there was a typo in the PR.

I know that the JC was a major request from a great number of people here on the forums, so it's no surprise that it's in there. Why no modern amps... well.. many of them are based on "vintage" designs... so you can get... say 80% there with what's already in the Pod.

The global EQ is something that I used quite a bit with my old Vetta II. It's a nice way to quickly cut the bass if the room/club/thing you are in is a bit boomy, or add a bit more high end if you need it too. Since I use my HD500x in the FX loop of my Vetta II combo (bypassing the Vetta's input), I still have a "global" EQ available. Not to mention balanced outs to feed the house mix that are at a fixed level. Pretty dang awesome.

So the JC 120 a Marshall style cab?  I guess i don't really know what it is :)

I know that the JC was a major request from a great number of people here on the forums, so it's no surprise that it's in there. Why no modern amps... well.. many of them are based on "vintage" designs... so you can get... say 80% there with what's already in the Pod.

So the JC 120 a Marshall style cab?  I guess i don't really know what it is :)

JC = Jazz Chorus. It is a solid state 2x12 uber-clean combo amp by Roland.

Like, insanely clean. You turn the gain and volume all the way up, and it's still calm, cool, clean and collected!

I wonder how they will handle the stereo aspect of the JC120..

"two separate 60 watt RMS power amps (to allow for true stereo chorus)"

http://www.rolandus.com/products/jc-120/

So that would be a good cab to use for multi effects because you get a pristine signal to use your effect with?

Like, insanely clean. You turn the gain and volume all the way up, and it's still calm, cool, clean and collected!

I guess that is a good question... are there any new cabs or mics coming with the new amp models?  I know in the initial  announcement the pic had the 5150 matched to a Tread 4X12.  I hope so just for some more options...

Also wondering if these new amps will be available for the DT's as an update too...

I already posted somewhere else about wanting an Effects Pack some time down the road with updated overdrives and distortions and maybe a polyphonic whammy or synth...

whatever you do though... for the love of god dont turn up the distortion....

i can think of no control on any amp that's less musical...

I wonder how they will handle the stereo aspect of the JC120..

"two separate 60 watt RMS power amps (to allow for true stereo chorus)"

http://www.rolandus.com/products/jc-120/

• Upvote 1

haha yeah i just saw some old youtube videos with the JC-120s and the distortion knob is pointless....sounds like garbage.  I wonder if the the JC's notorious 120 watts per channel with translate over to the HD500x?  I know i struggle with cutting through the mix without adding boosts and gains.

All in all though i will try this amp/cab for sure!!

whatever you do though... for the love of god dont turn up the distortion....

i can think of no control on any amp that's less musical...

As I understand it, these model packs are add-ons to the existing HD500/500x amp models already featured. It would not make sense to charge $$ for extra amps just to then take away the amps already there!

Looking forward to more info about the acoustic rig too; hoping that will make the JTV acoustic + HD500 + link to DT25 a more functional experience..

*hoping*....*waiting*....

It's like "Mini G.A.S."! $99? No problem. It's the $999.99 G.A.S. that worries me for the budget.. ;)

Re: the JC-120 distortion......

I had an exchange in another thread yesterday with user named RipperShred. We (respectfully, I hope ;)) disagreed on whether the JC-120 should be included in the Vintage amp pack or the Metal pack. Turns out the main point of distinction is the Distortion feature on the JC-120. I happen to share the view expressed by Zap above. However, RipperShred pointed out that it is exactly this feature that makes the JC-120 a favorite in the metal world. After all, Metallica is a very successful band with a huge following and James Hetfield (yes, I do know who he is  :P ) is apparently a big proponent of the JC-120.

Just goes to show ya.... one man's ceiling is another man's floor (or something like that). Different strokes for different folks ... whatever. Thanks to RipperShred for educating me on the metal-worthiness of the JC-120.

The moral of this story is.... use the distortion knob on the JC-120 at your own risk! :o

Loved my JC120H, and used it in "stereo" with two cabs on either side of the band; big sound. But yes... the distortion was HORRIBLE. I used (and still have stashed away) an old Chandler Tube Driver rack that handled all of my distortion needs. Sold the rig when I bought my AxSys 212/Ax212. I still have the Ax212 in my garage.

EQ is the most important thing you can have period.  The current EQs in the PODHD are really bad, plus take up a slot, and it usually takes 2 or 3 of them to get the tone you need. 

Think of Global EQ as a (hopefully) good EQ that doesn't take up any slots.

I can't stress how important EQ is.  It can take a fizzy, trumpety, boomy guitar sound and make it sound good.

• Upvote 1

I am quite sure the model itself will have no chorus. That will be up to you to add. Here's how I handle stereo chorus. Put your chorus in only one of the paths with A and B panned full left and right. Start out with the mix at 100% on the chorus. Listen and adjust first the mix and then the  A and B pan to your taste.

• Upvote 1

FYI, Hetfield loves the JC-120 for the clean sounds ONLY. "Nothing Else Matters" intro is a perfect example. The clean sounds on that cut and any other track that calls for cleaness is his trusty JC-120. I had a JC-120 head pushing 2 Marshall 2X12 cabs for my clean rig for years but when I went POD my amps went in to storage. I haven't used an amp on stage or in the studio for a long time now. The PODs do everything I need very nicely. What they don't fit well I go to Overloud's TH2 or Amplitube.

• Upvote 1

$350 more... You have an odd definition of "a couple of dollars more".

wow. $49.9 for a model pack, $100 bucks for all. too much for me, It's a better option buy the new firehawk for a couple of dolars more. by the way, I buy my pod hd destock for $199.

what Phil said... that and the 199$ price was a closeout... that pod HD was 399$ originally.....

having said that... i find the prices reasonable... but if it's not worth it to you... then by all means, the pod HD is pretty solid as is....

AND you're still getting the firmware update for free minus the model packs.... we're all winners here.

wow. $49.9 for a model pack, $100 bucks for all. too much for me, It's a better option buy the new firehawk for a couple of dolars more. by the way, I buy my pod hd destock for $199. 

• Upvote 1

You might want to wait for a Christmas sale :) I personally won't buy packs right after they are out, better wait for reviews, other packs/bundles, and/or a sale. I'm not in a hurry.

As for Firehawk, I'm not a pro and I would love to get the simplicity of the new device, but having HD500 I won't switch. If I do, I'll need to add another $100 or $200 on top of the price difference to buy a looper, and that's too much for me.