Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifiers For Hd500

pod20

Looking for information on amplifiers for the HD500.  Buying a new amp and was wondering which/what would work real well with the HD500.

Any suggestion/opinons would be greatly appreiciated.

Thank you.

As you most probably already know, the HD series Pods really shine when matched with a DT series amplifier as the modelling is done at the 'preamp' stage of the Pod and then REAL tubes/configurations are dialled in at the power stage to give you that 'tubey' goodness we all love.

Sounds like you steering towards a reasonable size combo but there are some things you could consider.

1. What are your circumstances? Bedroom or regular stage player?

2. Decide on tube or solid state. If you run the 'FULL' models on the Pod HD it may make more sense to run with a high headroom amp (or power amp) that has a reasonably flat response and wont 'colour' the tone from the already modelled power amp from the Pod HD preset. 

3. Does the amp have an effects loop? Although the Pod HD has different 'connecting to' options, the most 'ideal' scenario would be to run 'studio direct' into the FX return of your amp and that way theres less EQ compensation happening and more of a 'simpler' signal chain.........in this instance to me, less is more!

4. Does buying an amp like the Fender Mustang (or other modelling amps) even warrant using the Pod HD? Those Mustangs actually are pretty reasonable for the price (let the flaming begin!! :ph34r: ) and the optional footswitch would open the amps potential and make it a cheap work horse for stage with decent results......... and have plenty of volume. I think the bigger Mustang versions have an FX loop you could use for the Pod HD?

5. You could consider using a powered speaker for home and stage.

6. My experience with the Frontman is, they sound nice for a 'Fender clean' but thats about it and I question its reliability. 

I suppose theres actually quite a few options you could choose and none are the 'right' answer, rather just another way of doing it and its all subject to budget v's expectations and the situation it will used in etc.

...................I know you don't need to hear it but, my first choice would be to recommend one of the DT series amps as it gives you the best chance of making a good tone an awesome tone. ;) And if for nothing else, as all guitar players do, we all 'need' more gear and are all looking for that new thing thats going to get us 'that tone' and to a large extent, the DT amps kind of 'future proof' themselves by offering you a few simple yet effective REAL options that should keep most players happy for a long while so to me, it's cheaper in the long run as I'm not looking for a bandied solution .

Good luck with on your journey, let us know what you decide and shoot back any questions you may have.  :)

• Upvote 1

Yeah those are nice.  Expensive though.

Really? $1500 is not really expensive for a quality amp in the case of the DT50 2x12. I have a Two Rock that set me back over $3K and it sounds great but then again so does my DT50 2x12 at half the cost.  I did a benefit show with a few very well known guitarists (I hate name dropping!) One had a $15k Dumble and he complimented my tone from my $1K DT. In the case of the DT amps, I feel you get way more than you pay for which for me makes them a pretty good bargain.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, recently I have the 1046L6 and connect it to the Pod HD 500 with 4-wire method. I loved it.
Also I have effects of distortion (Bloody Mary T-REX and the M78 Custom Badass) and are not as obtain the best results.

you can connect the HD500 to the effects loop as a single pedal?
  guitar in the sin (1046L6) and output (L / Mono) to return (1046L6)

from already thank you for your comments.
excuse my basic English.

greetings from Chile

• 2 months later...

As you most probably already know, the HD series Pods really shine when matched with a DT series amplifier as the modelling is done at the 'preamp' stage of the Pod and then REAL tubes/configurations are dialled in at the power stage to give you that 'tubey' goodness we all love.

Sounds like you steering towards a reasonable size combo but there are some things you could consider.

1. What are your circumstances? Bedroom or regular stage player?

2. Decide on tube or solid state. If you run the 'FULL' models on the Pod HD it may make more sense to run with a high headroom amp (or power amp) that has a reasonably flat response and wont 'colour' the tone from the already modelled power amp from the Pod HD preset. 

3. Does the amp have an effects loop? Although the Pod HD has different 'connecting to' options, the most 'ideal' scenario would be to run 'studio direct' into the FX return of your amp and that way theres less EQ compensation happening and more of a 'simpler' signal chain.........in this instance to me, less is more!

4. Does buying an amp like the Fender Mustang (or other modelling amps) even warrant using the Pod HD? Those Mustangs actually are pretty reasonable for the price (let the flaming begin!! :ph34r: ) and the optional footswitch would open the amps potential and make it a cheap work horse for stage with decent results......... and have plenty of volume. I think the bigger Mustang versions have an FX loop you could use for the Pod HD?

5. You could consider using a powered speaker for home and stage.

6. My experience with the Frontman is, they sound nice for a 'Fender clean' but thats about it and I question its reliability. 

I suppose theres actually quite a few options you could choose and none are the 'right' answer, rather just another way of doing it and its all subject to budget v's expectations and the situation it will used in etc.

...................I know you don't need to hear it but, my first choice would be to recommend one of the DT series amps as it gives you the best chance of making a good tone an awesome tone. ;) And if for nothing else, as all guitar players do, we all 'need' more gear and are all looking for that new thing thats going to get us 'that tone' and to a large extent, the DT amps kind of 'future proof' themselves by offering you a few simple yet effective REAL options that should keep most players happy for a long while so to me, it's cheaper in the long run as I'm not looking for a bandied solution .

Good luck with on your journey, let us know what you decide and shoot back any questions you may have.  :)

Great information here thanks for sharing you view. I have a Fender 4 along with the HD500. I am still in the learning and experimenting stage with the  different editing stages. You mentioned in your post "   the most 'ideal' scenario would be to run 'studio direct' into the FX return of your amp " can you explain how this differs from the other amp options? 

For me, any decent tube power amp.  I personally like Marshall tube amps but there's a lot of tube amps to choose from.  I'm sure there's other tube amps that could give you what you're looking for.  I haven't tried them all by any means and I may like some others better.

btw - I have tried a Two Rock amp.  Wow, don't need anything else when you have one of those.  And Dumble is supposed to be much better but for the price they better include hot groupie chicks.