Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about new "old" models in the upcomming Metal Pack

RipperShred

If that's the case, is there a list of which models in which packs are HD and which are not? I just re-read the lists on the firmware update info page and in one of the other threads that includes the list and prices, and I realized it doesn't mention anything about HD or not HD (unless I missed something).

Yeah, DI pretty much said only the three named amps are HD ones, the rest are straight X3/POD FARM ports, so now I've got mixed feelings about it. Still think I'm willing to pay for it, but 7/10 models are filler/padding so that 50 bucks seems kind of steep now.

And I use the term filler/padding because apparently absolutely nothing has been done to them - no tweaking, no reworking, just straight up ports from the X3/pod farm. If they were reworked/remastered HD versions of those amps I'd be totally cool with the 50 bucks, but knowing they're ports feels like the pricing's off.

Seems a little dishonest to me; 4+ yrs into the products life cycle with all the HD hype marketing sticking old stuff in the box now and not being up front about it seems like shifty marketing.

They had to be like "we only have 3 new models to offer, but no one's going pay 50 bucks for three models, so let's toss 7 more models from old tech so people will look at it like 'hey, 10 models for 50 bucks - that's 5 bucks a model! What a deal!' we can't lose!" lol

The thing that worries me the most about these packs is buying them, of which I'd probably just get all of them, and then find out later this year that the next gen HD series is announced with a probable fourth quarter release. DI said 2015 is the year for guitar players and that the current namm isn't the only trade show this year. I suppose selling an hd500 or hd500x with model packs would increase it's resale value, but still.

• Upvote 1

POD HD 2.6

• Global EQ—Three fully parametric bands plus low and high cut filters, available from an additional Setup menu page; we had to do quite a bit of clever optimization to fit Global EQ, and you might see a tiny bit of extra DSP for other blocks (a few percent perhaps)
  • Metal Pack ($49)—Peavey 5150 (block logo), Bogner Shiva, Remastered JCM800 (model 2204), plus favorite POD Farm models Insane, Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone
  • Vintage Pack ($49)—Orange OR-80, Roland JC-120, Fender Champ (Tweed), VOX AC30 Fawn Normal, VOX AC30 Fawn Bright, JC-120 cab, Fender Champ cab, plus POD Farm Acoustic
  • Bass Pack ($29)—Ampeg SVT Normal, Ampeg SVT Bright, Gallien-Kruger 800RB, SVT 8x10 cab, SVT 410 HLF cab
  • Fully Loaded ($99)—All three packs

I count 11 'at least' HD models, plus 4 new cabs, plus the non-HD stuff.

• Upvote 1

Only three in the metal pack, the other packs have HD models too. Apparently the vintage is all HD except for the "acoustic" model, and the bass models are all good too. Just the metal pack that got the 3.

I'm still probably going to buy it, as picking up an XTC Red pedal used is still more expensive than this pack. I was really just about to pull the trigger on the pedal, and this came out, and if the Shiva model does its namesake justice it will have saved me 100-200 bucks. Just wish there was more on offer for genuinely new and true-HD models in the metal dept.

POD HD 2.6

• Global EQ—Three fully parametric bands plus low and high cut filters, available from an additional Setup menu page; we had to do quite a bit of clever optimization to fit Global EQ, and you might see a tiny bit of extra DSP for other blocks (a few percent perhaps)
  • Metal Pack ($49)—Peavey 5150 (block logo), Bogner Shiva, Remastered JCM800 (model 2204), plus favorite POD Farm models Insane, Big Bottom, Varaic'ed Plexi, Purge, Aggro, Smash, and Octone
  • Vintage Pack ($49)—Orange OR-80, Roland JC-120, Fender Champ (Tweed), VOX AC30 Fawn Normal, VOX AC30 Fawn Bright, JC-120 cab, Fender Champ cab, plus POD Farm Acoustic
  • Bass Pack ($29)—Ampeg SVT Normal, Ampeg SVT Bright, Gallien-Kruger 800RB, SVT 8x10 cab, SVT 410 HLF cab

I count 11 'at least' HD models, plus 4 new cabs, plus the non-HD stuff.

Thanks for the reassurance dunncan,

Lets face it who is not going to get the bundle.

Incidently, you have a HD500 and HD500X. 

I presume you'll just need to buy one bungle and install on both? 

I ask as I am about to pull the trigger on a HD500 in need of repair for cheap and the bungle will be an incentive if I can get it working. USB problem

Thanks for the reassurance dunncan,

Lets face it who is not going to get the bundle.

Incidently, you have a HD500 and HD500X. 

I presume you'll just need to buy one bungle and install on both? 

I ask as I am about to pull the trigger on a HD500 in need of repair for cheap and the bungle will be an incentive if I can get it working. USB problem

Digital_Igloo said they still have to work out the details of it all, but it will probably work like packs with the x3, however that was. Buy one pack, at least two devices sounds good to me.

The thing I'm more worried about is Line 6 announcing the next gen HD device at the next trade show later this year. That would likely make purchasing the packs not worthwhile, or a short lived use of them.

POD HD 2.6

Hey, there is a new "Pete Anderson Custom" in the vintage pack: http://line6.com/pod-firmware-update/

Country/roots-rock stuff, I suppose.

don't discount the potential DSP benefit of running the older models.... you might be able to inject the "flavor" of these older models into a dual path scenario that would be otherwise impossible if both models were HD.

that and those older models have never been on a platform with M-series effects...

just saying... there's alot of wait and see here....

and i'm sure that they'll have the 30 day return policy like they have with other model packs.

• Upvote 1

even if that's the case....

you're talking about 100$ for model packs vs at least 500$ if they announce an HD replacement...

Which they've already stated they aren't making the HD end of life... and the firmware release itself shows they still have an interest in adding value/continuing with the HD pods also.

and then there's always the fact that just because something new comes out.... doesn't make what you have now any less than what it is....

Digital_Igloo said they still have to work out the details of it all, but it will probably work like packs with the x3, however that was. Buy one pack, at least two devices sounds good to me.

The thing I'm more worried about is Line 6 announcing the next gen HD device at the next trade show later this year. That would likely make purchasing the packs not worthwhile, or a short lived use of them.

I really love this update that's coming and I can't wait. I'd love to hear the HD 5150. Definitely using that for my In Flames patches over the Mesa.

I'm getting the all 3 pack for sure. I think paying for it is fine especially from how much we're getting.

I'm also really glad for the EQ because it'll help shape up the tone better. The models sound great but some of them need heavy post EQ in a mix.

and then there's always the fact that just because something new comes out.... doesn't make what you have now any less than what it is....

Intellectually I know this. But speaking for myself, and as it relates to technology improvements, there's an irrational, psychological component that says the next generation is as good as purchased. It's simply going to be better than the previous generation and allow for more versatility and functionality, hopefully, if it follows how technology generally evolves over time.

Even though what's currently right in front of me is perfectly fine. Just have to see firsthand what's around the next corner.

i fall into the same trap! :)

i know i'll at least want to check out whatever comes out for myself....

Intellectually I know this. But speaking for myself, and as it relates to technology improvements, there's an irrational, psychological component that says the next generation is as good as purchased. It's simply going to be better than the previous generation and allow for more versatility and functionality, hopefully, if it follows how technology generally evolves over time.

Even though what's currently right in front of me is perfectly fine. Just have to see firsthand what's around the next corner.

I'm interested to see what the next box will be like, but honestly, the 5150, Shiva and Variac'ed Plexi probably solve a lot of if not most of my problems for me; I really was about to get a Bogner XTC red pedal because I couldn't get that/those tones out of the POD HD PRO as it is. And even though I'm not thrilled at the X3 models not getting a new coat of HD paint I'm sure they'll round out what I need for metal amps, so I'm going to need something compelling to move up.

Don't get me wrong, I want it to be compelling. If the value's there, the tone's there, and the multiplicity of amp and fx models are there, I'm ready to give it a whirl. However, with 10 more metal amp channels to mess around with it will definitely do a lot to alleviate any G.A.S. I've got at the moment.

How would one honestly "revamp it to be HD"? When you change it, it might as well not be those amps anymore.

If there's a way to incorporate deep edit parameters, then I understand, but "HDifying" these amps basically means they aren't those amps to begin with, but based on them.

They're not real amps like the others they model, they're originals by Line 6. 

What the heck do you mean? So are you saying that the HD SLO is no different than the X3 SLO? Or the Dual Rec, or any of the other amps in the HD line? Then what dafaq was the point of moving to the HD platform if they're the same?

It's the same thing dude. Originals or not, they can be improved upon. Better dynamics, more organic gain, etc etc. They can be enhanced without becoming fundamentally different, otherwise we'd all still be rocking an XT for crying out loud.

the thing is... they aren't going to sound identical to the x versions...

they are more likely to take advantage of the newer tech in some way...

and since they aren't baked in yet... so to speak... making those minor tweaks isn't going to mess up anyones tones...

i suspect they will be sort of an x-series plus... whatever that means :)

we already know they are getting paired with HD cabs for example.....

no x-series cab's coming through.... the mic models are HD.... etc etc... no idea if they'll get the deep edit treatment... 

How would one honestly "revamp it to be HD"? When you change it, it might as well not be those amps anymore.

If there's a way to incorporate deep edit parameters, then I understand, but "HDifying" these amps basically means they aren't those amps to begin with, but based on them.

They're not real amps like the others they model, they're originals by Line 6. 

i think what he means... is that the x-series models where the x-series models....

the HD models were all new... completely modeled from the ground up again and have no correlation to the models in the x-series.

the x-series models that are coming over... are NOT being remodeled.. they are being translated so to speak.

so they aren't getting the "HD" treatment....

however, as you can tell from my last post... i do expect that there will be some improvement.

What the heck do you mean? So are you saying that the HD SLO is no different than the X3 SLO? Or the Dual Rec, or any of the other amps in the HD line? Then what dafaq was the point of moving to the HD platform if they're the same?

It's the same thing dude. Originals or not, they can be improved upon. Better dynamics, more organic gain, etc etc. They can be enhanced without becoming fundamentally different, otherwise we'd all still be rocking an XT for crying out loud.

• Upvote 1

I use my HD Pro as a preamp/fx unit with a traditional power amp. It's been quite a while since I had access to an XT, so I'd like to know if the preamp-only version of the model is going to sound the same as it would in my HD Pro? If it does, while being the L6 fanboy that I am, I feel just a little disappointed about that. 50 bucks isn't pocket change to me, so I like to know that if I'm buying a HD model pack that I'm getting my HD's money's worth. :-P

If it sounds better - and by better I mean more dynamic, and more organic gain, etc. than I feel better about that money being spent.

Consensus seems to be it will be like the previous models and you can load them on up to 4 separate devices but I haven't seen that written as a definitive fact yet.

If I purchase these model packs and add to my Pod HD desktop, can I also add them to a Pod HD500X, if I decide to purchase that unit down the road..? I think you would only be able to put these on one ?

they have not announced any updates to the DT....

of course if the DT is connected to a pod, i'm sure that it will work as expected....

the DT amps on their own.. highly unlikely.

Are any of the new model packs going to be available to install on the DT series amps as a native topography?  It's the same modeling, correct?  They just need to make it so that it can be installed via the DT Editor.

the thing is... they aren't going to sound identical to the x versions...

they are more likely to take advantage of the newer tech in some way...

and since they aren't baked in yet... so to speak... making those minor tweaks isn't going to mess up anyones tones...

i suspect they will be sort of an x-series plus... whatever that means :)

we already know they are getting paired with HD cabs for example.....

no x-series cab's coming through.... the mic models are HD.... etc etc... no idea if they'll get the deep edit treatment... 

Well if it's going to be those amps but with better response, I then that's cool, but once you cross a line, it's not really those amps, but based on those amps. Honestly I wouldn't mind that though. Versions of those amps with a lot more realism to it, but again, it's more based on, than actually being it.

Like I've said, you can do that with a real amp because you're objective is getting the sound to be more close and real to the amp it's representing.

I can't wait though. I knew getting an HD over an X3 was a smart idea. I get better sounding amps, and I'm getting legacy amps at the same time anyways. 

Frankly I'm not the biggest older POD fan when it comes to having modern modelers at my disposal, as we all know, modeling has improved constantly over the years.

Yeah me too.

I'm hanging around like a fly around a bucket of prawns(shrimps) LOL

The month March was mentioned in some threads. I think it's accurate. I think DigitalIgloo actually said it but not sure. I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Sooner would be GREAT! But I'm expecting March sometime.