Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about new "old" models in the upcomming Metal Pack

RipperShred

For myself, the cost of the add-on packs seems perfectly reasonable. Leave aside how much it would cost to get the actual amps - assuming you REALLY want to get those tones - just compare to the cost of pedals to match those sounds - say, a Wampler Pinnacle for the Plexi tone or an AMT P2 for the 5150 - and you're looking at a couple hundred bucks no problem. Plus, models integrated into the Pod are much less hassle than running pedals through the loop.

But I do have one question that maybe Digital Igloo can answer: is it cost/time effective for Line 6 to offer single amps (or for that matter, effects) as an add-on? Say, I'd LOVE a 5153 model and would pay $50 for that alone (again, think how much a clone pedal - if it existed - would cost). I don't know how tough it is to HD model a given amp, but single amp/effects add-ons could be a cool way to keep the hardware relevant and interesting.

• Upvote 1

50 bucks for a single amp model - that would make sense years from now when inflation makes 50 bucks the same as 5 is now. You're in a very small minority there. And it's not an apples to apples comparison with the savings compared to pedals thing;

Pedals hold their value over time, and are easily resold with little to no hoops involved. Not at all the same thing with the model packs. Sure it'll save you (me/us/we) money vs the hardware pedal to get that tone, but you can't just up and one day decide you're going to sell your 5150 model to the guitarist down the street 'cause he's interested. He may not even have a POD, and that's just for starters.

So while I can understand how you may place a lot of value on a model, your valuation is on the short-sighted side as you're not taking into account things like ease of resale, market segment/size, technological obsolescence (what's all this going to get you on the open market when POD SUPER HD EX PLUS ALPHA is released) etc etc etc

Whatever's coming, they feel they're going to get a decent return on for money spent, and it's probably sort of a beta test to see if it's a viable business model as well. If enough people up to this point would've asked for single models you could bet your bottom dollar that they'd have a single amp model custom shop ready to go.

• Upvote 1

Bump: from another thread.

"I love how Line6 give us a heads up about this a few months before they actually arrive.

What's the story with that, are they curious to know what we think before dropping the goods ?"

I can imagine Line6 staff doing this to flush out the labrats from their guitars, and observe their behaviours/opinions.

Just drop them already.... zzZZZZ

RipperShred: I take your point, and probably most people wouldn't pay $50 for one amp model (given that many are complaining about paying $50 for a bunch of models). I just wonder whether it only makes sense financially for Line 6 to do model packs -- where, to be honest, I'm buying a bunch of amp models I don't really want/need -- versus individual models at a somewhat lower price. I guess it's like how the cable company prices the channels: if it paid to sell them one at a time, they'd probably do it...

I feel you dude, which is why I kicked up the stink about the jc120; I have no need for any of the other models in the vintage pack otherwise, but it is what it is. The metal pack on the other hand, I will probably find a use for every model in it, except for the octone as nothing I do would utilize it's unique thing it's got going on. Purge,  Variac'd Plexi and Shiva are going to scratch some serious lead-tone itches I've got going on and Insane, Big Bottom, and 5150 are going to fill in some rhythm gaps. The remastered jcm800 is probably going to be more classic 800 that's clearer and crunchier overall which will be nice, and I'm sure the Aggro and Smash will be interesting.

This will probably cure my G.A.S. until they come out with whatever their next box is going to be, and even maybe beyond. I actually hope this thing drops AHEAD of schedule, as the excitement/anticipation is killing me!

I got gas too 

I am a real fan of the how Line6 have modeled their HD Amps. I really do like playing the amp only alot and getting it just right. After amp FX seem less destructive than before amp. 

So I too got gas for them , even the few that will rarely use. There are plenty in the HD now I rarely use! LOL So be nice to have a couple more favs.

I really do like playing the amp only alot and getting it just right.

I'm with you on that. Having many amps in the POD (even if there are less of them than in X3), I'd rather change an amp than add an effect pedal. Still, there are too many options - sometimes I get scared and want amplifi instead  :lol: