Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A suggestion for future firmware update - Deactivate Looper

MacShock

Hi, I have a pod hd500x, which I am using extensively. 

The other day during a gig in a bar the following happened.

I was playing as usual. It was a very noisy song. I couldn't hear my self very good. Then the song ends, everybody stops playing,  a moment of silence in the room, except my guitar continues to play. I had accidentally engaged my looper while playing. This was extremely embarrassing. For a moment I just wanted to to existe anymore. :o

I like the looper fonction of the pod but it should be possible to deactivate for this type of situation. I looked in the manual but could not find this functionality.

Therefore my wish to Line 6 for a future firmware upgrade would be the following:

In global settings allow to assign the looper footswitch to either

- looper

- toggle on/off the 5th assigned FX or Amp in preset mode

This would really be helpful.

Markus 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone really use the looper ?  I use it for dialing in a tone so I don't have to keep playing the guitar.  Other than that I find it useless.  I'd really be happy to get rid of it if I thought it would give me more DSP for other things,

This is a screen shot of the signal flow screen with the additional looper function controls. You could try turning the volume controls on knobs one and two right down to zero. It is a pain but it might be worth it for some users. I agree they need to address this problem properly.

post-1921002-0-89797500-1428164618_thumb.jpg

Does anyone really use the looper ? I use it for dialing in a tone so I don't have to keep playing the guitar. Other than that I find it useless. I'd really be happy to get rid of it if I thought it would give me more DSP for other things,

Hi Joel, I actually love the looper. I find it great for creating lead lines, riffs, and phrases over chord changes. It is a real fast way to try out new song ideas without having to fire up recording software on the computer. I find it great for improving your timing also.

As for turning it on and off by mistake... Well maybe we should start actually rehearsing using it and being careful not to turn it on by mistake.

After all, if you hit a bum note on the guitar you don't blame the guitar or the strings, you just realize it is something you need work on and you try and improve it.

Two settings I personally like are the 1/2 speed which will give a full 48 second loop and the post mode, which allows the overdubbed sounds to have a different preset sound. Don't switch it back to pre though, unless you clear the loop first.... It can get real loud fast if you do.

I had the same problem. What I did was to take a large plastic bottle cap top and velcro'ed it over the looper so I would not hit it by mistake. That way I could remove it if I wanted to practice something with the looper but protect against accidentally turning on which I had done way too many times.

Completely agree best option is a setting so you can turn it on/off when needed.

• 1 month later...

Looper engaged for me live in the middle of a classic cover. Not cool. Since Function 1 button is not consistent among POD HD and SV Amp, I accidentally pressed it. We need a way to disable Looper please!

• 4 weeks later...

Looper engaged for me live in the middle of a classic cover. Not cool. Since Function 1 button is not consistent among POD HD and SV Amp, I accidentally pressed it. We need a way to disable Looper please!

Yes, I agree. In the new upcoming helix there's the "mode" switch. Why not replace the totally unusable looper switch with a MODE switch. I don't think it could be impossible for line 6 to program this feature...

I've considered cutting the traces on the pcb to swap the looper switch with the expression toe switch.  I never use my toe switch, so having the looper switch routed there would be no issue.  It would involve a dremel/file, four scraps of wire, and some solder.  Zero visible mods to the casing, completely reversible.

• Upvote 1

I've considered cutting the traces on the pcb to swap the looper switch with the expression toe switch.  I never use my toe switch, so having the looper switch routed there would be no issue.  It would involve a dremel/file, four scraps of wire, and some solder.  Zero visible mods to the casing, completely reversible.

This is the perfect solution in the event that L6 doesn't listen to those that are asking for a change. I have been holding out, waiting to see if they would add a way to choose the function of this button through programming but now that they have moved on to something new, I expect that our 500X will be an afterthought.