Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So what about this HUM Button?

Dshow

hum is a very important part of recreating a vintage amps sound and feel....

turning the hum all the way off sounds digital and empty to my ears... the hum warms it up and sounds more natural.

the knob in the middle (default) is as modeled... meaning the real amps hum as well...

all of the deep edit parameters exist more as an amp tech adjustment rather than a typical tone per tone setting.

I'm wondering why Line 6 added the HUM Button to the Amps. As far as I know it only adds - well - Hum. I mean I always turn it down to 0. Who wants any hum in the sound? I don't get it.

• Upvote 1

hum is a very important part of recreating a vintage amps sound and feel....

turning the hum all the way off sounds digital and empty to my ears... the hum warms it up and sounds more natural.

the knob in the middle (default) is as modeled... meaning the real amps hum as well...

all of the deep edit parameters exist more as an amp tech adjustment rather than a typical tone per tone setting.

It's a nice touch, but honestly I never want hum, unless the music called for it, but 99% of the time, I want the signal completely silent when I'm not playing. It's why we have noise gates.

the whole thing sounds lifeless to me if you remove the hum, i'm also not a fan of EQ's outside of possibly a global fit the venue type tweak...

between the volume, tone, amp tonestack, and all the effects parameters... i get what i need.

i do use them occasionally as an effect... which may not make sense to some...

just saying glad they're in there... but many people abuse/overuse them IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you and the rest of Line6... B)

Well that would only be a % of us - har har!!!

Like the above guys said - it can really shine when on clean stuff that "should" have it. I've used it on intros - the ole plug it in noise and hum prior to kicking things off on a bluesy jaunt.

-Bill

The "hum" parameter seems to create some odd sounds for me, particularly playing through headphones. I noticed fairly early on that with any sustained note, I would hear an odd overtone. Low, but audible. Sometimes above the note being played, sometimes lower, but never at a consistent or predictable interval. I could reproduce it with any guitar I plugged in, so it wasn't some weird Variax anomaly. Turning "hum" to zero made it disappear, so I considered it problem solved. Didn't concern me much anyway...I've spent 25 years being annoyed by all the extraneous noises that amps and pickups produce, and trying to find ways to eliminate them, so I was a little puzzled as to why one would want to add more aural roadblocks in the first place. So I just set hum to zero by default now. No negative impact on tone as far as I'm concerned...silence is golden.

This thread is full of good opinions about the "Hum" option.

The links I posted are of "Lemmings" A Satire of Woodstock and contains some vulger language, you have been warned.

Turn it up.....turn it down......what the hecks the difference once the head blows up. :)

Not sure this has any relevance but.....Farmer Yassir always has the final word @ 29 min. LOL This Album is purty old now.

To me hum is the carrier wave that the varied voltages travel on within the amp.  

I never remove all the hum, I push it up and back it off where it feels natural and less intrusive. 

All my guitars a shielded including to their jacks as this sort of interference is not the carrier wave.

Funny, people complaining about something that can be removed (unlike on a real amp). I've gone through the digital cleanliness  of the '80s and passed through the other side (scarred, but still here) and I now relish things like BFD3 that give us the drum sounds WITH spill, rattles, vibrations from other drums etc. so a completely clean amp wouldn't feel right to me.

Also, if I switch the set-up to 60Hz I can pretend that I'm recording my American album. :D

there are 2 camps, those who want real and those who want what they perceive to be perfection..

the real camp have a yardstick in the real gear, the rest have their own interpretation of `perfect`

like for some it could be that they never want feedback.. or no noise at all or they hate the `sag` of real tubes etc etc

All of those things come with a price tag, and that price is always a change somewhere in the sound. Some of those are worth the price and others are not..

be careful what you wish for, Roland and Boss went to that `perfect` place a long time ago and now all their products sound like plastic dummy reproductions of real life.. there are some people who like that sort of thing but (to quote Satchel of steel panther) "none of them ever get laid.."

give us the controls and really I think it should cover all tastes, certainly I am really pleased with the approach they have taken..I would extend that slightly to a `normal` and `advanced` mode globally where certain controls are hidden unless you opt for advanced, and decisions about the hidden settings are made automatically based on the other controls you adjust..

that would allow the devs to unlock even more deep editing without the fear of alienating the masses who just want to switch on and djent (without any hum or noise or sag :) )

me, I love a bit of real, my pod is only my squeeze when I cant crank some watts on a valve anyway.. I never heard anyone on a forum complaining about the mains hum on a vintage 60s Watkins amp or an ancient Marshall... its just part of the deal, and the sound.

but then i don't frequent the boss forums much these days :P

funnily enough my favorite Roland product of all time is the GP-8 and it's also probably their noisiest..