Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HSS vs SSS JTV69

I got my cash together and have settled on jtv69 I am wondering about the pros and cons of going the HSS pick ups over the SSS pick-ups. I've always thought that the HSS would give me more flexibility with the JTV having the options modeling when I want that. 

Just wondering what is more popular and if any of you guys have maybe found more or less problems with one over the other and also the tones.

Also is there a serial number or updated model that I should be making sure I get. I am getting from Sweetwater and figure they will have the latest inventory.

What have you guys gone with. All opinions welcome.

I like and have the HSS. To me, it's the best of both worlds. The first 3 positions on the selector switch are all Strat.  Very seldom do I use the 4th position (too hard to quickly move the switch to that position while playing. Much easier to slam it into the 5 position) but when I do, it sounds good. A bit different than an SSS, but good. And for lead the humbucker has more body and volume than a single coil. For lead work in general, I like the HSS set up best. It seem to have a wider tonal palette. You can go from Jimi, to Jimmy (Page) on one instrument.