Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do you think the DT has an inherent tone character?

GazzaBloom

Even though the DT with or without PODHD offeres a range of different amp models, do you find that the amp has an inherent tone character of it's own?

I find that the DT has a lower mid rangey colour to the tone, and the mid tone control can emphasise this. I prefer a higher mid range boost on my drive sounds. To date I haven't really used the EQs when playing through the DT but will be looking to try and dial out some of the lower mids and boost a higher frequency of mids. i find it hard to put into words but the distorion tones have an inherent 'dry' and raspy tone with that lower mid range character. Perhaps it's just me! i'm not saying its bad, just noticeable.

Also, i find that some of the cabs can add a lot of low end, which some may like, but for bluesy tones with light drive, I don't need that.

I have found the Blackface Deluxe model to be my go to model and it seems to suit the general character of the DT best for me, works well with the overdrives as well.

What's your view?

Gazza

Of course each preamp, mic and cab combination will impart a specific tonal flavor but if you want to see what your base power section and speaker sound like you can do it with the POD.  If you are using L6 link with your DT, set up a dual tone patch with an amp in channel A and no amp in channel B.  Turn off the cab and mic for the amp in channel A and make sure the bypass volume is maxed on the amp block in channel B.  Mute channel A in the mixer and center channel B.

What this does is lock the power section to the channel A amp settings but allows the clean signal from channel B to go straight to the power section.  This will let you hear what your amp sounds like without any preamp modeling, just the power section and the actual speaker and cab.  You may see that the base tone of your amp is dark to begin with.  Kind of gives you a reference to work with when building your tones with adding preamps, cabs, mics, effects, etc.

There is a bit more than radatats explained to the tone you will get from the DT power amp alone. In some cases your preamp selection on path A changes the volume of the power amp output (even for same type/class/tube configurations).
Also, The Presence dial matters when above 50% for all but 1 or 2 DT power amp configurations. See my PDF for details
Martin

DT25 Power Amp Parameters.pdf

• Upvote 1