Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ preset onoff?

tcastudios

It's meant to set once at the venue during soundcheck, and it applies to every patch.  I do the same thing with my second EQ pedal.  But I will probably be able to leave it at home once the firmware rolls out.  Think of it as a "post output" EQ, that sits right before the outputs, and is not affected by which patch you are using.

My guess is it will be in the menu page with on off or flat no effect.

Ideally it would really cool controlled from the menu knobs.

1st knob selected the band and the three others were for its freq Q and db.

It would be cool if  some of the other FX parameters worked this way rather than cursor and knob 4 use all the knobs like under the amp menu

Added to idea scale, please put in a vote

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/EQ-controlled-by-all-display-knobs/688232-23508

It makes no sense for it to be mono.. the HD500 is a stereo unit, so must have a stereo Global EQ.

It also only makes sense that it should have an on/off (bypass), as otherwise you cannot compare before and after while setting it up.

As one of those who asked for it, my rational was that I am going to a PA speaker that doesn't have EQ and which is acting as backline, therefore actual sound varies depending on room and where it is placed.  Global EQ is about getting that speaker, back to a flat setting so that I sound good on all patches. It is not about varying for each patch.

IMHO Global should mean it's global, applying to "all" patches. I say "all" because I'd really love if it was possible to bypass it for selected setlists or patches (as I use my POD HD Pro in two bands with very different settings - one with electric guitar, the other with acoustic and vocal) but I don't expect this will be possible and I don't mind. I like the fact it's global - you can change it quickly for all patches at once. I just hope it has a quick global bypass switch in the settings so I don't have to reset the EQ settings for each of the bands.

On the other hand (opposite to what some people here say) I'm planning to use it for sound-shaping my electric guitar + amp sim tones as at the moment I use the same settings (mid-focus eq) on every patch which 1) takes up one slot in every patch 2) isn't flexible enough (the expected global EQ's lows+3 params+highs should be enough) and 3) as I'm retweaking the eq settings very often I have to go through all patches (~20 as I have a patch per song) and change the same settings 20 times.

Thank you, Line 6 guys, for listening on this one, can't wait for the update!

Definitely intended for room tweaking/fletcher-munsen curve adjustment. Looking forward to being able to set up killer patches in my bedroom, and at a gig be able to dial in the global myself such that the sound of all my patches is much closer to the sound I was hearing in the bedroom.

• Upvote 1

Oh I get it it.

I didn't get it on the other thread or the idea scale but here I get it. Interesting idea!

My guess is it will be in the mixer block but linked to the end of the chain. that is my preference

but your option would be good too!

I doubt they would change it to a preset eq, even optionally, since the whole "global EQ", meaning an eq that applies to the unit, regardless of patch selection, has been one of the number one gripes with the HD series. There are a number of EQ blocks already in the unit that can be saved into any preset, so why ask for another one?

Global EQ preset onoff?

Looking forward to the upcoming
global EQ.
Will it be possible to have it
on or off per preset?

Reason, now I use an external
EQ in the loop used only for
my acoustic guitar.

Regards
Lennart

I just wanted ask the opposite. I don't need global EQ and would turn it totally off so that it would't effekt any of the patches I have. I think this will be possible otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

For single Patches EQ you can use the existing EQs?

I just wanted ask the opposite. I don't need global EQ and would turn it totally off so that it would't effekt any of the patches I have. I think this will be possible otherwise it wouldn't make any sense

totally agree.  Its a global eq so it means for everything all the time.  They would have to further write the code to allow some way to choose on each patch whether to have it on or off otherwise, a lot of extra work and that's not what it is intended for.  It really is there to let you make final tone compensation for the venue you are playing at, not to sculpt the specific tone of the patch.

As to the OP's point, you would just set the EQ once for one band and when you are playing with them you turn the global eq on when you power up.  For the other band you turn it off.  Win/win all the way...

• Upvote 1

I use both acoustic and electric guitars in the same show.
So, again, all I want to figure out for my purposes;
can the Global EQ be on or off per preset?

All other ideas and inputs are all fine but
I only want to know about the Global EQ on off

possibilities :)

Cheers

Lennart

GLOBAL 

it means that its a setting that blankets everything. 

Regardless of what is set in a patch, a global setting will also be in play. 

If you want eq on individual patches, put an eq in your patch. 

A global eq won't even make a difference for me, because I plug straight into the PA. The sound man does eq-ing, not me. 

This starts to get funny.. :)

I -know- what Global means.
If it is edited it affects any preset.
And that is fine, that is exactly
what my inserted analoge EQ does for me.

I now use the inserted hardware EQ to
adjust the acoustic guitar I use.

That is, if I have a problem with
the acoustic I only have to adjust the
hardware EQ and it affects all my
acoustic presets.
When I use my electric guitar
the hardware EQ is simply bypassed
(loop slot not engaged).

So, again, all I need to figure out,
can the global EQ be on or off per preset?
Nothing else :)

Simple question, right?

Regards
Lennart

Right, none of use will know until its released. 

But what is the point of having an independent global setting if a preset can overrule it. 

As far as we can tell from what we've been told... 

what was said above tells the tale: 

Set your patch eq's the way you want them to sound, and then use the global eq when you change rooms and need to adjust the overall tonality. 

• Upvote 2

None of us will know till its released... :huh:

Or none of you will know 'til... right now! :D

Global EQ is global; that is, it's applied to all setlists and presets, at the end of the signal path. Its bypass state is global as well; it's important that the user never have to worry whether or not a particular preset has Global EQ applied.

1. Press and hold VIEW to open the Setup menu. Using the 4-way, cursor right to the last page.

• The header reads "GLOBAL EQ:OFF"

2. Press ENTER to enable Global EQ.

• The header reads "GLOBAL EQ:ON"

3. Use the encoders below the screen to adjust Global EQ:

• Knob 1 (Band Select): Low Cut, Low, Mid, High, High Cut
  • Knob 2 (Freq)
  • Knob 3 (Q)
  • Knob 4 (Gain): -12.0 dB ~ +12.0 dB

NOTE: Q and Gain disappear when Knob 1 (Band Select) is set to Low Cut or High Cut.

• Upvote 5

I can see it now:

"I'm trying to use the Global EQ, but it just makes everything really noisy."  

"What are the gain settings?"

"I set all three bands at +12.0 dB.  Is that bad?"

"I set my global EQ for my (whatever) patch, and then adjusted it for another patch, but my previous settings went away.  What the ^&@!!?"

or:

"How come I can't assign any of my footswitches to turn on Global EQ?"

I might have to take a vacation from the forums for a few months after the rollout.

• Upvote 2

Global EQ is global; that is, it's applied to all setlists and presets, at the end of the signal path. Its bypass state is global as well; it's important that the user never have to worry whether or not a particular preset has Global EQ applied.

1. Press and hold VIEW to open the Setup menu. Using the 4-way, cursor right to the last page.

• Knob 2 (Freq)
  • Knob 3 (Q)

NOTE: Q and Gain disappear when Knob 1 (Band Select) is set to Low Cut or High Cut.

Thanks for the clarification. Its nice to know what we are getting dispelling any mystery. I'm excited!!! And Well done utilizing the LCD display knobs.

This EQ will certainly be able to correct room changes- might be an idea to sell a room correction app for the android and phone that reads a white and pink noise generated from the phone thru the PA and makes a note of standing waves and ratification peaks!  Kept simple it would be usable

Inevitably it will get used to replace an EQ and free up some space for guys at home, which is okay but clearly not why it is implimented.

Yes, Global EQ is stereo. It affects everything.

I can see it now:

"I'm trying to use the Global EQ, but it just makes everything really noisy."  

"What are the gain settings?"

"I set all three bands at +12.0 dB.  Is that bad?"

"I set my global EQ for my (whatever) patch, and then adjusted it for another patch, but my previous settings went away.  What the ^&@!!?"

or:

"How come I can't assign any of my footswitches to turn on Global EQ?"

Uh oh...  :blink:

Well, that's definitely our fault. Some Setup menu parameters are global and some are per preset, and the manual's required to figure out which.

Future products will not have this issue. Kinda like they'll all have power switches unless there's a really good reason to omit it.

Future products will not have this issue. Kinda like they'll all have power switches unless there's a really good reason to omit it.

Hallelujah!!! Lol...

I realize it's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things, and I doubt it would dissuade me from buying future products...but just for my own morbid curiosity, why does this damn thing not have a power switch?

Hallelujah!!! Lol...

I realize it's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things, and I doubt it would dissuade me from buying future products...but just for my own morbid curiosity, why does this damn thing not have a power switch?

Don't know—that was right before my time. Regardless, we've heard the pitchfork mob, loud and clear.

• Upvote 1

Definitely intended for room tweaking/fletcher-munsen curve adjustment. Looking forward to being able to set up killer patches in my bedroom, and at a gig be able to dial in the global myself such that the sound of all my patches is much closer to the sound I was hearing in the bedroom.

Yes this is exactly why it is needed no two rooms are the same the EQ will make this product more professional.

it might even work when going from amps to s/pdif recording as usually I have a separate bank for live amps .

How about make new EQ effect with LPF, HPF, 3 adjustable band and adjustable Q like the global EQ ?? and Global EQ remains global ? ?

Totally agree. this is the basic requirements for an EQ and lets face it near any man and his dog can write EQ plugin code.

It would be nice to have one on the presets that can be configured either with a smooth or a more drastic response close to be able to mangle a sound if desired. 

• Knob 2 (Freq)
  • Knob 3 (Q)

So from what I'm seeing, the high and low bands are pass filters, not shelving filters? Are specs available on the rough Q of the hi and low bands, or a frequency response graph? I know the amp models already have a hi pass option, would there be any thought to adding a lo pass to the models as well?

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings,

I just recently upgraded from the 500 to the 500x and Im a little confused by your post. I know that Line6 is set to release new firmware v2.6 that includes global EQ and some new amp models. Does global EQ already exist on this unit (500x)? I tried following your instructions to set it up but I didn't find the screen that allows to me to activate the global EQ. Please help. Thanks. 

Does global EQ already exist on this unit (500x)? I tried following your instructions to set it up but I didn't find the screen that allows to me to activate the global EQ. Please help. Thanks. 

No, global EQ is a new feature that will be installed with the 2.6 firmware update when available.