Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X not using JVT tunings correctly

I have been using a JVT59 for a while and have enjoyed the ability to create alternate tunings within workbench. One such tuning I am using is a standard open G tuning, but with the low E (in this case low D) string silenced for the classic Keith Richards open G sound.

I just bought an HD500X and created a patch which is supposed to use and remember the tuning from the guitar - but it sounds terrible - it is simply not in any tuning as it puts string number 5 way off (sharp) from where it should be (which is a G). FYI: This tuning works great with the guitar on battery power plugged directly into an amp.

Anyone else had this issue? 

I know I can force a tuning in the Mixer Block within Edit, but it doesn't have the functionality there to silence the low string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have been using a JVT59 for a while and have enjoyed the ability to create alternate tunings within workbench. One such tuning I am using is a standard open G tuning, but with the low E (in this case low D) string silenced for the classic Keith Richards open G sound.

I just bought an HD500X and created a patch which is supposed to use and remember the tuning from the guitar - but it sounds terrible - it is simply not in any tuning as it puts string number 5 way off (sharp) from where it should be (which is a G). FYI: This tuning works great with the guitar on battery power plugged directly into an amp.

Anyone else had this issue?

I know I can force a tuning in the Mixer Block within Edit, but it doesn't have the functionality there to silence the low string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You could create a model in Workbench with the E string volume at zero, then save it to one of the custom slots on the JTV. Then have the 500X force the new custom model.

• Upvote 1

Also, experiment with the Model vs. Standard position of the JTV Alt Tuning knob. The Model position is used when you want to access Workbench-created alternate tunings that are stored with the JTV model. The Standard position is used when you want to control alternate tunings via Pod HD and the VDI connection.

Also, experiment with the Model vs. Standard position of the JTV Alt Tuning knob. The Model position is used when you want to access Workbench-created alternate tunings that are stored with the JTV model. The Standard position is used when you want to control alternate tunings via Pod HD and the VDI connection.

I didn't know this and strongly suspect that is/was my issue. As soon as wok stops interfering with my guitar time I will give that a try.

This prompts me to ask if it matters where the Guitar selector knob is set? 

If you are controlling the JTV Model selection using the HD500 then it does not matter where the physical Model knob is positioned. The HD500 setting determines the model selection. Also, physically moving the pickup selector position changes the pickups within the Model bank of the HD500-defined model, regardless of where the Model Select knob is physically positioned. After selecting a preset on the HD500 that specifies the JTV Model selection, you will need to physically move the Model Select knob on the JTV to override the HD500 model bank specification.

So if you do everything with the HD500 there's really no need to touch anything on the JTV itself except the Vol and Tone knobs (unless you have also locked them using the HD500, in which case they can be assigned to control other HD500 amp/FX parameters).

If you are controlling the JTV Model selection using the HD500 then it does not matter where the physical Model knob is positioned. The HD500 setting determines the model selection. Also, physically moving the pickup selector position changes the pickups within the Model bank of the HD500-defined model, regardless of where the Model Select knob is physically positioned. After selecting a preset on the HD500 that specifies the JTV Model selection, you will need to physically move the Model Select knob on the JTV to override the HD500 model bank specification.

So if you do everything with the HD500 there's really no need to touch anything on the JTV itself except the Vol and Tone knobs (unless you have also locked them using the HD500, in which case they can be assigned to control other HD500 amp/FX parameters).

Thanks so much for your help. I tried the suggestion you made regarding tunings and it works better, but it isn't flawless. Sometimes it just doesn't want to use the tuning in the guitar - particularly on my 5 string open G setting. It's a little frustrating as the biggest reason I bought the HD500X was to stop messing with the controls on the guitar and I still am going to have to... Or switch to a 6 string open G that I can program in the patch.

Okay - this is not working. I connected my JTV via a DVI cable. Then I went to a patch I created (wish I could embed a screen shot) - anyway I have it programmed on the Mixer tab to default to the Variax guitar and to force a tuning (in this case open G). The problem is, it doesn't force anything - the guitar stays powered down and defaults to the magnetic pick-ups. The whole point of this HD500X for me was to not have to keep switching settings on the guitar... What am I doing wrong? Or is my equipment faulty?

Make sure your Hd500 preset Inputs include Variax and do not include Variax Mags. On the Mixer page in the editor make sure your Variax type is JTV, not 300/600 or something else.

Also, check your Setup pages for the Variax Options (see the Setup section in the HD500 Advanced Guide). Make sure the Variax Control is set to Preset.

I've found the best way to do this is to create a '5 string' Keef sound in workbench and save this in a custom slot on the JTV. I then use a patch on the POD to call this. It also means that I can choose this tuning from the JTV in any patch by selecting the custom guitar.

For me though I'm having problems with the 500X where I want it to change from eg Reso to Acoustic but no matter what parameters I set it will only change guitars within the Reso set. ie I want it to change from Reso 2 to Acoustic 4 but for some reason it only changes to Reso 4 - if I change patch whilst Edit is open on the Mixer page then you can see it change to Acountic 4 momentarily. But then it changes itself back to Reso!