Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Praise for the JTV59!

Ok, I just had to take a moment to write about my experience with the JTV59 Black. I received this guitar a few months ago from Kurt at Sweetwater Music. Now, let me give you some backstory! About two years ago, I purchased a Cherrry Burst JTV59 and ended up never playing it. Just couldnt wrap my ears around it. Playing in church twice a week pushed me to look at the JTV59 once again. Why the JTV59? Im a Les Paul buff. I do own a Richie Kotzen Tele, A 59 reissue Les Paul, a Strat Deluxe Goldtop, etc, and lo and behold, I am in love with my JTV59 more than any other guitar I own! Im talking close to 20k in guitars and this one just does it for me!

I decided to quit fearing, and start shredding on this machine, and I am truly glad I did. It starts to become a true part of you if you give them a chance. This is not a fad guitar. This is serious musician tools here!

I play twice a week live, and daily for at least an hour in practice, and I cannot tell you just how spot on these simulations can get if you work deep with this guit.

Combine this with a multi effects pedal, and you have a compact fly rig that can do anything and more! The last two concerts I have performed, people were coming to me asking me how I got my sound. They loved, and specifically they were blown away by the 12 string, and Sitar sound I used with a soldano high gain amp!

A few changes I made for my personal taste and few i will make soon. I did lightly sand the neck on mine as it waas very 'sticky' from factory, and didnt flow as fast as I like it. A little sand, and some powder, and bam! Silkness! I am also not a big fan of the stock pickups, so I changing those out for a set of Dimarzios Ive loved for years. The action, neck, and overall look of this guitar is just perfect for me as I have smaller hands and arms, so the fit is glove! I dont mind the tuners, as they stay in tune for days, but for me its going to be Grover Locking 406C's very soon. I just like the ease of locking tuners.

Just wanted to submit some praise for this guitar and to thank Line6 for working so hard to create something that has changed my whole perspective of their tech.

Huge thanks!

• Upvote 1

I'm playing the same guitar as you and lovin it also. I did put 406 c's on it (center screw holes versus stock insides which is better IMHO as it gives some meat to screw into). 

I sold my kemper and came back to the HD this week...it just works better for worship stuff (ambient vamping in particular)

Enjoy and rock on. Wouldn't mind that sitar patch :)

I'm playing the same guitar as you and lovin it also. I did put 406 c's on it (center screw holes versus stock insides which is better IMHO as it gives some meat to screw into).

I sold my kemper and came back to the HD this week...it just works better for worship stuff (ambient vamping in particular)

Enjoy and rock on. Wouldn't mind that sitar patch :)

That's the first time I've heard someone say, "I sold my Kemper and came back to my HD." Good on ya. I am a pastor and worship leader also. I use both and HD and a Boss Gt100. The soldano patch was from the Boss Gt100, but I'm sure I can replicate in my HD also. I think you would agree that for worship leading/playing, multi effects boards are almost essential now. I am so glad I don't have my old 3k Pedalboard that took up half the Baptistry just to get an ambient sound. A wife, and two children is enough to make any man consolidate his rig! lol. Question? Are the 406cs you mentioned using with center holes still the minis or is the gearing case a bit larger?

• 3 weeks later...

I recently did a light wet sand and buff on my JTv neck. So much better now, and not as sticky. Upgraded the tuners to Grover 406c's auto locking minis, and they are pretty good. I honestly think I'll ended up changing to gotoh locking tuners with thumb wheel. Not an auto lock fan on the High E tuner. Other than that, this is still my number one guitar, and my vintage collection is gathering dust. Just can't get away from the weight, feel, length, and shape of the jtv59.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

I have  cherry sunburst JTV 59 nd t s one of the best guitars i have owned i feel it is on par with a Yamahaha SG2000 i owned in the 1970's. i have done one small mod on mine i purchased

gibson style  pick up selector switch surround and put some 3m tape glued to the back and trimmed it flush then paced on the guitar, if ever needed to be removed then a clean with alcohol  would remove the tape residue , the one i purchased was cream and matches the pick up surrounds

Thoroughly loving the JTV59 I bought a couple of months back. I added a few bits and ended up with the Dream Rig.

Dream Rig-4

The only tweaks I physically made to the guitar are a set of locking Schallers with some sound tweaking in Workbench plus a lot of great sounds from arislaf.

Since then I've been tweaking the system and am running into a TC Plethora with  Strymon Irridium and Sunset pedals in the FX Loop, into a Ditto looper and then into a pair of Stagesource L2s. Works for me and by turning off the FX loop I get the an amped/cabinet sound of the acoustic models into the Stagesources.

PedalBoard-3

Sounds pretty good to me but needs a MIDI controller now to get it all to work together.

Still use the DT25 a lot as well.

We live in great times.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in changing the tuners on a JTV59 I used these:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Schaller-M6-135-Locking-3L3R-Chrome/art-GIT0017999-000

They looked too low at first but of course there are no full winds on the string so they don't need to protrude so far. The result is a sharper break angle at the nut. I don't know what effect that will have on the system  but it sounds no different to the old tuners, just feels a lot nicer and is easier to restring.

Schaller-2

Schaller-1