Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Frequency Coverage?

I've read the faq doc and seen the responce on some forum from dboomer regarding 2.4GHz and rf1 and rf2.

In these explanations it is assumed that the non-overlapping frequencies are 1, 6, 11 and 14. This is true for 802.11b but doesn't seem to be the case with 802.11g/n using 20/40 MHz spacing.

For 802.11g/n @20 MHz the non-overlapping channels are 1, 5, 9 an 13. For 802.11n @40Mhz the non-overlapping channels are 3 and 11.

Could dboomer please create an channel matrix that covers rf1, rf2, and the different flavors of 802.11.

One can pretty much consider 802.11b to be obsolete with todays modern wifi-routers and iDevices and similar.

The issue is important due to xd-v and wireless remote control of mixers and other devices and a clear understanding of the channel spectrum is needed to avoid interference between devices sharing the common 2.4GHz band.

RF1 frequencies are propriatary and do not relate to wi-fi at all.

RF2 frequencies are on page 29 of the XDV75 owner's manual

I think that you missunderstod my question.

While not directly related to wifi channel numbers they still operate on the same spectrum. In the faq it is listed what wifi channels works best with rf1 channels. Likwise you've posted on a forum similar info related to rf2 (also included in the manual).

The problem I found out the hard way is that all of these listings (including the one channel graph and wifi channel listings on p.29 in the manual) is that it only relates to 802.11b use of non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11 (and 14)). Since 802.11b more or less only being used for old equipment and pretty much been replaced with 'g' and 'n' that wifi channel info is becoming obsolete.

While the same frequencies/channels are being used in the 802.11b, 802.11g/n and 802.11n they all uses different bandwidths within the same spectrum so a different table is needed for each standard. One big reason is that the non-overlapping channels are different (b: 1, 6, 11, 14 / g/n: 1, 5, 9, 13 / n: 3, 11) and therefor more likley being used in some crowded environment. Also that rf1/2 frequencies are not related to the wifi ones and maybe affected by the different bandwidths.

Looking at the rf2 table in the user manual it still misses the bandwidth used for each frequency a & b (approx 4MHz?) so it's only partly usefull.

Note that while 'b/g' only spans over 4 channels for a single frequency that 'n' spans 8 channels (5 and 10 channels if separation is included). This means that if you use 802.11n@40MHz at channel 6 it will render 2.417~2.457GHz (wifi channel 2-10) more or less useless for one party. Even when in rf2 mode where you are only left with 5 and 7 clean channels in freq-a and freq-B respective. However none of the channels are clean in both freq-a and freq-b at the same time!

However, if you post the frequencies(rf1) and bandwith(rf1, rf2) being used I can then compile my own 'compatibility chart' because I really need that info for freq planning.