Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69 model selector and alternate tuning not working at all

Hi all

I'm brand new to the Variax and was thrilled to receive my new JTV69 a couple of days ago. After charging the battery I gave the JTV69 a run out on the first evening and everything was fine - model selector knob lit up and switched perfectly between the models, alternate tunings worked etc. Unplugged it from my amp overnight. But when I came to it the next day it was dead. I thought it might be the battery so recharged for a few hours and replaced - all four green lights are coming on at the back when I test so that looks OK. But the model selector switch and tunings still aren't working - it's like they're dead. It plays fine through the normal pickups however.

I've looked through the forum and seen the tips on sticking a bit of paper into the end of the knob - that hasn't worked.

My question is this: as I'm getting no "life" at all from the Variax functions, might a restore/flash refresh work? Or does that only work when the basic modelling functions are already working and there are other problems? I've (obviously) not done this before, but have seen the instructions on doing this through Line 6 Monkey on the site.

I've opened a support ticket about the problem but no answer yet and I just want to do what I can to get it working over the weekend. Any advice on this (or indeed any other bright suggestions) greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

Rupert  

Same happened when I bought my 69. Here's the problem: The selector knob is sitting too low on the body of the guitar to activate the switch inside. All you need to do is pull the chrome selector knob up (as if you are removing it to replace it) just a few millimetres. Then press it to switch on the circuit.

This worked for me and now i just need to pull the knob out a little at the start of a gig and everything works perfectly. Easy, painless, free fix :)

Hope yours is the same as mine. 

Jack

Thanks Jack. Just tried that, but no joy. Even if I take the knob off completely and press the switch down with my finger it doesn't activate anything....which I guess it should do? Appreciate the suggestion though.   

Rupert

Tried reflash this afternoon. 1/4" lead plugged in, volume knob on, VDI cable connected to interface. But red flashing light on USB interface and Line 6 Monkey says "ESN: none". I am assuming all of that means that my JTV isn't getting recognised because it isn't powering up at all.  

What's bizarre is that it worked perfectly for one evening and was then like this the very next morning. In between it was safely in its gig bag!

I guess I'd better get back to the seller. Thanks to all of you for the help on here anyway.

... I am assuming all of that means that my JTV isn't getting recognised because it isn't powering up at all. 

Sure sounds like it. Hope you get it resolved with a working replacement.

If electronics are going to fail they usually do so very quickly. Sounds like an internal circuitry failure.

I had that problem with my JTV 89F the first night I brought it home......had to return it for a bad piezo on the A-string saddle anyways. Mine also would not "turn-on" when attempting to go into Variax Mode.....I just unplugged the standard jack and put it back in and the system came alive again.....had to do that a few times and made me wonder if it's the female jack receiving the cable....sometimes the prong get's bent and some fiddling might be required....it's not any fun when something doesn't work fresh from the box....makes me want to slap whomever signed the "inspected by" sticker......errrrgh!