Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just uploaded the first in a series of demo videos - POD HD500X

PeterJH

Hi everyone,

I've just finished the first in a series of demo videos featuring the POD HD500X modeller.

I've had the unit for about a month and have had the time to spend getting to know it a bit better.

I hope to make a number of vids with tips etc that I'd like to share on the forum.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers,

Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWrRLPRh1A0&list=PLf5_zBpLSCU7uNeo1YFjaNPogbR5PcSK6

• Upvote 5

Nicely done. Gonna do any of the JTV? I've downloaded others patches before and been not impressed on my rig. It think the difference is largely the guitar being uses itself vs. my old Variax 500 or the others I have. I'll have to try your later tonight and see how they do for me vs. the vids.

Great production and great realistic patches.! And always nice to hear a South African voice.!

Just a quick question about the recording chain. XLR into what desk, any gain? any EQ or FX going in and how did you interface to record it? 

Great work!

Thanks. It will be interesting to see what your results will sound like. I definitely think that there are a number of external factors that influence the tone.

Cheers.

Well as I suspected would be the case on my machine the gain is a lot lower. I don't think that is anything from your patches in paticular as I notice that with a lot of patches that I download. I primarly use my Variax 500 but I also tested against my old Epi LP as well which was even less, cheap pickups no suprise. The variax is supposed to model a 59 LP so even if it's on target that wouldn't be a 490 pickups like you are using either. 

https://soundcloud.com/dan-nobles-2/patchtest-jtm45-w-ts

Three part clip without touching your setting other than to set the inputs to the Variax when I tested it. I'm also tuned down 1/2 step. I copied the riff (or close anyway) to what you did in the Video with that patch. Just out curiosity of the difference two I have firmware 3.10 (lastest according L6 Monkey). Your might be different.

1. Old Epi LP (Bridge).

2. Variax Lester (Bridge).

3. Variax custom Spank body with LP Custom pickup. About the hotest thing I got already setup in my Variax

One thing I noticed on your patches, is you have input 1 & 2 set both to guitar. I've found the POD sounds more authentic if you set Input 2 to a input you not using, I usually set to Aux. I recorded your patches the way I downloaded them. I did play with changing that but and it made my guitar a bit cleared but didn't really change it much.

This was a fun little experiment! And your patches do remind me that a simple setup can be really effective. I suscribed to your channel. I would love to hear more of your thougths on patch creation.

@bjnette - Thanks for the comments.

The POD was plugged into the mixing desk using the XLR outs from the unit. The eq on the desk was completely flat.

The only eq, compression, reverb etc was from the POD itself.

It was then sent to an M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard and recorded in SONAR. That's it.

@Palico - There are sooo many ways to configure this unit. The way that I did it works well for me but I'm pretty sure that it won't work like that for everybody. There are just too many "extra" factors that come into play. My patches could be looked at as a starting point though and then obviously one could tweak further to taste.

I will constantly be updating my settings for patches though and will keep uploading for users to try out.

I do want to show in my next video, a complete tutorial on creating a patch from scratch and then actually recording that tone into a complete track to show how to get it to sit in a mix situation.

Thanks for your comments.

Much appreciated,

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks for the answers.

I was interested as a desk could be API or a Neve and could color in a nice way the sound.

You also might like to try s/pdif out of the POD into your 1010 s/pdif in (75ohm rca or video cable)and save doubling up the ADDA conversion set.

There are is/pdif level settings in the menu too.

While purely a personal choice; for demoing the less impedimentia you have the truer the representation.

Only a suggestion.

Keep up the good work.

@Palico - There are sooo many ways to configure this unit. The way that I did it works well for me but I'm pretty sure that it won't work like that for everybody. There are just too many "extra" factors that come into play. My patches could be looked at as a starting point though and then obviously one could tweak further to taste.

Yep, started working with a couple of them already. Thanks for putting there out there. Looking forward to more vids.

• 2 weeks later...