Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Calibration gets Pedal Values 30 -> 255

golbey

I bought my HD500x used about a month ago and updated the flash memory to 1.32. Just today I am trying to calibrate the expression pedal. I know I am following the routine correctly, but at step C instead of getting 0 - 255 for Scaled Pedal Values when I sweep the pedal I consistently, repeatedly get 30 - 255.

If I power off and redo the calibration I get the same result.

Looking at the effect of the pedal on knobs in HD500X Edit, the lowest value does look like about 30.

What's the next step for calibrating this pedal?

Thanks!

Keep trying. My 500x did the same thing for a while. Eventually it will work.

A couple of things, clean out any dust around and underneath the pedal. I believe the pedal operates from optical sensors, so dust could affect this.

Try and tighten the pedal with the allen wrench ever so slightly, or more if you like it with a little more tension. I find over time I have to tighten and then recalibrate because the pedal becomes looser/floppier. But it should be tight enough so that when it's in the heel position, it shouldn't start to fall back on itself because of its own weight.

A couple of things, clean out any dust around and underneath the pedal. I believe the pedal operates from optical sensors, so dust could affect this.

Thanks duncann, I will look into that.

After reading the thread linked below about this issue I unplugged all the cables into my pedal, intending to open it and clean the pedal sensor. Before removing any screws I tried the calibration procedure 1 more time, and this time it succeeded, repeatedly going from 0 to 255. I will assume that the cables had something to do with the issue. Perhaps most likely the external pedal plugged into the Pedal 2 jack?

http://line6.com/support/topic/5235-hd500x-pedal-calibration-problem/

• Upvote 1

Interesting.

When my device did this, I had the following plugged in: usb, midi-in, digital-out, 1/4" out (both left and right), and guitar in.

After tightening the pedal slightly, I got it to calibrate from 0 to 255. Still the same cables plugged in. So while I suppose it's possible it could be something with one or more of the cables, it seems unlikely.

Yep indeed, correlation does not prove causation, but that won't stop me from suspecting it.  :)

Aha, I see you did not have an external Pedal 2 plugged in!   :mellow:

I am cool with mystery and can just be glad the problem went away, so I won't bother testing if I can make the issue return.

I am using the pedal 2 jack for an expression pedal that I mostly assign to wah. If I make any changes to a patch, I usually am using the HD500X software. Part of my ritual is to not touch the pedal or Variax guitar after the change is made, Send the patch immediately after I have made a change, go to another patch, come back to the newly saved patch, unplug the pedal 2 plug, reinsert the pedal 2 plug, and resend the patch. That is the only way I can get a patch to save properly. If you are suspecting your pedal 2, I would concur.

I am using the pedal 2 jack for an expression pedal that I mostly assign to wah. If I make any changes to a patch, I usually am using the HD500X software. Part of my ritual is to not touch the pedal or Variax guitar after the change is made, Send the patch immediately after I have made a change, go to another patch, come back to the newly saved patch, unplug the pedal 2 plug, reinsert the pedal 2 plug, and resend the patch. That is the only way I can get a patch to save properly. If you are suspecting your pedal 2, I would concur.

Wow, can you share some info on the types of problems that are avoided by that tedious ritual? In what ways were the patches saved wrong?

I wouldn't say the patches are saved wrong. The way I save a patch would seem logical. It might could be called a bug in the pedal but I could have excused Line 6 if the issue would have been addressed in the manual. But here is where the trouble starts.

First off, I always have a expression pedal plugged into the pedal 2 jack on the HD500X. I always use the HD500X Edit software. Say you would like to take the wah off EXP 1 and put it on EXP 2 and disengage the EXP Toe Switch. So you go to the Controllers tab, choose the wah from the drop down model menu, change it to EXP2 in the controller drop down, and disengage the EXP Toe Switch in the FS assign drop down. I prefer a volume pedal on all patches, so I add one on the FX page, select it from the model drop down box on the Controllers tab, and select EXP1 from the controller drop down choices. Then I send this patch which I have selected. When I choose another patch and then come back to this one I have just edited, the chances are that the 2 pedals do not work as assigned. You can move EXP 1 and see on the software that it is moving EXP2 or vice versa.

That is when I unplug the pedal 2  and reinsert it. I check to see if it is working properly. It usually is. Then I go to another patch. Then I come back to this edited patch and make sure it is working properly. Then I select the patch and send it. Then it starts working as programmed. The other caveat is when you make a change on the software, do not touch the HD 500X until you have selected and sent (saved) the patch.

• 10 months later...

After reading the thread linked below about this issue I unplugged all the cables into my pedal, intending to open it and clean the pedal sensor. Before removing any screws I tried the calibration procedure 1 more time, and this time it succeeded, repeatedly going from 0 to 255. I will assume that the cables had something to do with the issue. Perhaps most likely the external pedal plugged into the Pedal 2 jack?

http://line6.com/support/topic/5235-hd500x-pedal-calibration-problem/

Removing Guitar-in and Headphone cable worked for me, too. I'm sure the problem was caused by the plugged guitar-cable.

For the sake of future readers of this thread I should mention that after the most recent flash update to my HD500X, when attempting to calibrate the expression pedal (with no cables plugged in), once again at step C of the procedure, instead of getting 0 - 255 for Scaled Pedal Values when I swept the pedal I repeatedly got 30 - 255. I followed duncann's advice above ("Keep trying. My 500x did the same thing for a while. Eventually it will work.") and eventually (after a few more tries) it worked.